I Hate Storms; CK's Updated Big Board | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Hate Storms; CK's Updated Big Board

ckparrothead said:
Crowder played like a 2nd/3rd rounder if you consider that guys like Shawne Merrimen, Derrick Johnson, Odell Thurman, and Lofa Tatupu all outplayed Channing and were drafted before Channing. On the other hand, nobody after Channing played better than Channing...unless you think Kirk Morrison played better (possible, he had a ton of tackles).

I know people keep trying to pretend that Channing was first round value that we got in the 3rd because of his knees, but that isn't actually the case. Guys like Thurman, Tatupu, Johnson, and Merriman all played better and are better players. Channing might have gone about 15 spaces later than he should have, due to the knees...but he wasn't worth a first even if healthy.

I know I'm gonna get called a homer for this but you couldn't be more wrong with this statement. I saw EVERY game of his at Florida and the guy was a force. He led the SEC in tackles and was the best ILB in the draft, period. I could careless what is said about their rookie seasons, I don't see Tatupu playing along side a hall of famer and he didn't have to learn a new position like Channing did. He will be a huge playmaker for years to come.

That doesn't mean he was first round value. Even if you think he was the best ILB in the country coming out (he wasn't) that does not mean first round value. ILBs are generally left out of the first round. I think the whole first round value with third round knees and legal history is a neat little story, but is not the reality. The reality is that sans knee issues Channing still would have been drafted in the 2nd round.

ckparrothead said:
That doesn't mean he was first round value. Even if you think he was the best ILB in the country coming out (he wasn't) that does not mean first round value. ILBs are generally left out of the first round. I think the whole first round value with third round knees and legal history is a neat little story, but is not the reality. The reality is that sans knee issues Channing still would have been drafted in the 2nd round.

All your opinion. There is no right or wrong answer.

no he wouldn't have. with good health he's a first rounder. excellent physical ability, around the ball at all times, can command a defense. easy first round pick.

ckparrothead said:

But I don't think he's just an ILB. IMO he could play outside as well. I had Crowder rated as a late 1st rounder going into the draft (after I read the medical report that said he was no greater an injury risk than any other player). Now there isn't a world of difference between late 1st and early 2nd so we may just be splitting hairs.

Juan Cribbs said:
tatupu didn't even start till what....week 10?

You are thinking of their other rookie Linebacker Hill who didn't start till week 8 and had 8 sacks.

Seahawks had a pretty good year of drafting linebackers.

rafael said:
But I don't think he's just an ILB. IMO he could play outside as well. I had Crowder rated as a late 1st rounder going into the draft (after I read the medical report that said he was no greater an injury risk than any other player). Now there isn't a world of difference between late 1st and early 2nd so we may just be splitting hairs.

Thats obvious, he played OLB most of the season and was 2nd on the team in tackles.

Yeah but that outside linebacker spot he played is a virtual inside linebacker spot. Most of the same kinds of duties.

And he didn't make a whole lot of big plays at that spot either. I thought Derrick Pope outperformed him when he manned the weak side spot.

ckparrothead said:
Yeah but that outside linebacker spot he played is a virtual inside linebacker spot. Most of the same kinds of duties.

And he didn't make a whole lot of big plays at that spot either. I thought Derrick Pope outperformed him when he manned the weak side spot.

I don't even know what to say to that.

Well it's true. Derrick Pope came in for two games and made a bigger impact tackling people behind or at the line of scrimmage than Channing Crowder generally did. We had a discussion about it in VIP around the time of the games. Pope had a few good games when he was asked to come in. Crowder didn't have great games when he moved to middle in Zach's place.

BTW, Channing stepped his game up a notch around the San Diego game and after that. I'll admit that most definitely. But before that, he wasn't anything special. He was a mediocre starting linebacker at best from a league perspective.

ckparrothead said:
BTW, Channing stepped his game up a notch around the San Diego game and after that. I'll admit that most definitely. But before that, he wasn't anything special. He was a mediocre starting linebacker at best from a league perspective.

As a rookie, in a new complex defensive system, playing alongside a hall of fame MLB, he still had 85 tackles. Not bad if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom