I was born in 1974...... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I was born in 1974......

In true sports fan fashion I love speculating about the Dolphins IF Csonka, Warfield and Kiick stayed.

My opinion is the team was spent after three SBs and wearing out.

Their drafts in 1971-75 were awful.

It’s poor drafting compared to Pitt and Oakland in the AFC that explain why Pitt won more in that decade than Mia.
I completely agree with you. In fact, I posted something similar the other day. Easily the biggest misconception or flawed evaluation of those years is that they would have continued, if Csonka, Kick and Warfield had stayed. The drafts were the weakest coinciding with the years the team was strongest. That meant there was no input of young talent.

I remember attending Dolphin games during those years and talking with nearby fans about Otto Stowe and Chuck Bradley, the same way younger fans are now relishing the debut of Cam Smith or emergence of Channing Tindall. I learned very young to forget about it.

There were a few very good players in the 1974 and 1975 drafts, but not at the top nor nearly enough to compensate for the early decade whiffs.

Joe Thomas built the legendary team. Robbie was sharp enough to pursue Don Shula to maximize what was already here.

I thought we had a chance to squeak out a 1974 title, but only if everything fell perfectly and we caught some breaks. I didn't have a good feeling going into the playoff game at Oakland. Frankly the entire fanbase wasn't confident.

The outcome was even more devastating because the Dolphins had played well above their 1974 form for the majority.

I do not believe we would have defeated Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game, although playing at home provided a chance. That game would have been like the 1975 home opener on Monday Night versus Oakland: Battle like hell with some late hope, but squashed by the reality of a younger stronger more motivated team that was entering peak instead of desperately trying to hang on.

I completely agree with you. In fact, I posted something similar the other day. Easily the biggest misconception or flawed evaluation of those years is that they would have continued, if Csonka, Kick and Warfield had stayed. The drafts were the weakest coinciding with the years the team was strongest. That meant there was no input of young talent.

I remember attending Dolphin games during those years and talking with nearby fans about Otto Stowe and Chuck Bradley, the same way younger fans are now relishing the debut of Cam Smith or emergence of Channing Tindall. I learned very young to forget about it.

There were a few very good players in the 1974 and 1975 drafts, but not at the top nor nearly enough to compensate for the early decade whiffs.

Joe Thomas built the legendary team. Robbie was sharp enough to pursue Don Shula to maximize what was already here.

I thought we had a chance to squeak out a 1974 title, but only if everything fell perfectly and we caught some breaks. I didn't have a good feeling going into the playoff game at Oakland. Frankly the entire fanbase wasn't confident.

The outcome was even more devastating because the Dolphins had played well above their 1974 form for the majority.

I do not believe we would have defeated Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game, although playing at home provided a chance. That game would have been like the 1975 home opener on Monday Night versus Oakland: Battle like hell with some late hope, but squashed by the reality of a younger stronger more motivated team that was entering peak instead of desperately trying to hang on.
I think I recall your previous post on this topic. I called it out for being spot on. You are 100% correct, imo.

I sense you might have me by a few years. I was 9 in 1974. Wasn’t watching much football.

I have the vaguest of vague memory of being at a relative’s house and the end of the Sea of Hands game. I vaguely recall Curt Gowdy saying what a great game we just saw.., but it’s a foggy memory.

I did recently watch pieces of the 1974 AFC championship game. Pitt rushed for over 200 yards. The steel curtain was just that. Jack Ham had two picks. Mia doesn’t beat that team.

Dolphins fan since 95 born in 86. I'm also a Sonics/Thunder fan and a Mariners fan so whats that a combined 84 years without a title?

Lol safe to say I'm not a good fan to have. I don't even care about baseball anymore so if the Mariners won I'd have no reaction.

I feel like okc will end that drought in the coming years but I really only will be satisfied when Miami wins a super bowl. I'm pessimistic it'll be soon but I would be surprised if I never see it, assuming I live to an old age.

Well they say 50 is the new 30

or in your case

View attachment 160302

So get down and party..............................View attachment 160303

As a little kid the first game I ever saw was Dolphins 14 Redskins 7.
Let you work out the game.

Nothing like watching a pure kicker try to throw a football...It brings a special emotion to the team, and If Miami had lost that game, well...

20240219_120750.gif

I turn 78 on April, the 29th
So, we are both "Taruses".
I wonder what that could mean? - LOL
Ray are you really 77?

If you are, I feel the urge to appoigize for all the times I may have trolled you or called you a Lemming. It's elderly abuse and I feel awful for it, I need to be better.

Please forgive me.

Weeeeelllllllllll HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKCKCKCKCKCK. I got the same birthday day as you Ray!

Lets have a FH party like no other April 29 th!!!!!

Oh wait if thats a work night. lets wait until the weekend

You two party animals control yourselves before you bring the world to it's knees. 😜

I am 58, extremely soon (Matter of weeks till ides of March) till I hit 59, and because my dad was a Baseball traditionalist, I watched the Dophins beat the Redskins, and Vikings, rooted for them (Making me somewhat of a fan), but did not become a true Phins fan until the next year where I saw them beat the Jets in my 1st ever regular season game (Did not get many 🐬 games in Jersey), and became a true foam from mouth, Dolphins to the end, week good because they won, week bad because they lost fan.

My bucket list includes many things....but for us born in 1974 isn't that a little bit of a haha on us, Right?

I am looking to hear from Dolphin fans all over who are my age or younger or were not old enough yet to enjoy the great teams.

I would also like to hear from the ones who experienced the thrill of being dominant and winning.

I also would like to hear from the ones who believe we will finally win a Super Bowl in the next three years.

What i hope to hear in this thread is great memories, great hope and maybe stories of what you have personally experienced as a Dolphins fan.

I will start. I was at a training camp with my wife when we had signed Suh and took pictures of Landry and Suh and others. But my greatest Dolphins moment was travelling to Miami to watch the fins beat the Seahawks in 2008, 21-19 where we actually finished first at 11-5 tied with the Patriots in most every way. I went with a good friend who was a Seahawks fan and did not realize in our crazy plan that it was Memorial Day weekend. There were Jets fling over the stadium and great pictures with cheerleaders and such. The best picture was when we stalled them on the final drive having a picture laughing at my friend taken by a fellow Dolphin fanatic. I yelled louder than i had ever done for a longer period of time than I thought possible trying to add to noise.

When I go to my next Dolphins game I truly hope the experience is even greater!!!

Lets hear from all of you true and optimistic....or little less optimistic and / or jaded Dolphin fans! Lets celebrate what we can as a Dolphins community and lifelong fans.

One of my first memories is the Sea of Hands game. I was too young to remember either of the Super Bowl wins, and my father passed before the perfect season started.

So.

Back
Top Bottom