I was born in 1974...... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I was born in 1974......

Turning 40 next month, got hooked on Fish/Marino living in Nj after watching 92 title game…only saw few games a year back then (jets/prime time)….having the old man turn the antenna to pick up that week 3 game against bills in 93 and seeing Shula through the static on the sideline screaming hold it right there dad! is my earliest/favorite memory…then seeing the breaking update 2 weeks later Danny tore the achilleas….should of warned me the ups and downs to come!

Did I ever share the story about going to Luke Bolton Ford in Plantation, 1973? My dad wanted to test drive a new Thunderbird but I went along to see Paul Warfield, who was there for a promotion and maybe get an autograph. Well Mr. Warfield somehow decided to go on our test drive!! He and dad were in the front seat and I was in the back with the salesman. My dad bought the car and I got my autograph! What a thrill to meet a Hall of Famer and gentleman! He was so down to earth.

1965 here. Born and raised in northern Cali. My parents didn’t like sports, so I learned from my neighbor, who was a year older. He made me a Dolphins fan. Annoyingly, he switched to the Steelers a few years later, but I stuck with the Dolphins. Now I can’t quit.

We all hated the Raiders…they were the villains. Had I been born a few years later, I might have liked the 49ers. They were awful at the time, though. I sometimes wonder what my life would have been as a 49er fan.

The last 20 years have been brutal. My kids don’t like football or the Dolphins…they’ve seen the team at its worst and more importantly watched what it’s done to me. I think if I grew up with the team sucking, this wouldn’t be so hard to take…but is there another franchise that had such glory years and then has been awful for the last 20 years? I got used to the good times, which makes these bad times worse.

Some of you on here seems to have learned to separate the game from your personal lives. I need to learn to do that better.

I’m 59. My favorite memory was Shula getting win 347… with the 3rd string QB playing in the second half. Game was in Philly.

My only regret is not getting to see a home game at the OB.

I was most keen from 1979 into the late 1990s. In the pre internet days I used to go the local library to read week old copies of the Miami Herald to learn about the team.

I’ve seen Miami play live four times. One win in those games (in Toronto).

I honestly feel I’ve given more as a fan than I got in return.

Last edited:
The first Miami game I ever attended was an away game for the Dolphins in Detroit on 10.27.85, and it was my first game where Marino played.

I had my first really good job, so I bought ten tickets to the game at a Lions' preseason event. There was no problem getting friends to buy the tickets off me. I was all primed for a great day, but Miami lost 31-21 as Marino threw 2 TDs and 2 INTs.

One of my friends was into photography and I found the pictures she took about a month ago. :R5:

Turning 40 next month, got hooked on Fish/Marino living in Nj after watching 92 title game…only saw few games a year back then (jets/prime time)….having the old man turn the antenna to pick up that week 3 game against bills in 93 and seeing Shula through the static on the sideline screaming hold it right there dad! is my earliest/favorite memory…then seeing the breaking update 2 weeks later Danny tore the achilleas….should of warned me the ups and downs to come!
Great memory!!!! I can picture your dad holding those antennae in place ...and Shula priceless!

Would have had a good chance of a 3peat in 74 if they hadn't have left us
In true sports fan fashion I love speculating about the Dolphins IF Csonka, Warfield and Kiick stayed.

My opinion is the team was spent after three SBs and wearing out.

Their drafts in 1971-75 were awful.

It’s poor drafting compared to Pitt and Oakland in the AFC that explain why Pitt won more in that decade than Mia.

Back
Top Bottom