I was wrong | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I was wrong

Here's the deal on Moore. He is a gunslinger. He will throw more picks and make more mistakes, but he will have more big plays as well. Does he have more talent than Cutler? Maybe not. But he has the team with him. Those intangibles matter. They want to play for Moore and will play harder for him. I know it sounds strange, but it is true. Is he the answer? No. He has his limitations, but if he will take us just as far or even further than Cutler will, and we could have saved 10 million if we would have just given him the team from the day Tannehill went down.

If Cutler could stop throwing off his back foot, he'd be playing a lot better. I will say, the line played a lot better when Moore was in there. I'm not saying there is a controversy, just saying Moore did seem to not be running around as much (even though he did take some shots).

Cutler led us back from a 17 point deficit in the second half last week.

I'm just saying.

Cutler IMO had his best game yesterday. You give him time and he was throwing the ball all over the field. I guess if Cutler is the problem this week, some will never like him. His one int was because the Jets have an absolute stud field general in Adams (man I wish we had him). I love and respect Moore but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We all remember what happened once he finally played a good team. Don't get me wrong the Pats and Steelers are no joke but those are the type of teams Matt will see very shortly. Ravens are a pain everytime we play them and I hope it doesn't turn out bad for Moore. It's nice to know we still have a shot with Moore. Most fan bases don't have this luxury. Phins Up!!!

I'm shocked that anyone says a coach that has won 13 of 17 games is not one of the best. 13-4 is probably one of the best records of anyone in that time frame. Who would Gase haters want over a young coach who is a winner and has turned our Dolphins into winners. His reign has just begun and I'm very proud he's our coach. Look at all we've been through and we're still 4-2. We'd be in the playoffs with a retired Qb and a career backup. Please explain the Gase hate..I honestly don't understand the issues with our Coach. PHINS UP!!

Not really, Gase has a lot more talent, makes a lot of the same bad decisions, calls timeouts for the other team, play calls almost identical and somehow makes bad teams look good versus us constantly. By the way our genius DC VJ is taking a really talented Broncos team and making them look terrible also. Bad coaches destroy teams, only rediculous talent on both sides can make them winners. Gase is supposed to be the great offensive mind, so ask yourself has his offense ever looked even remotely impressive? I'm not talking about certain players doing all the work either.

You're a great poster and I'm not trying to get on you one bit. I just don't understand what he has to do to get the WHOLE fanbase behind him. Our Offense was never going to look like Peyton's but we're 13-4 in the last 17. I really cannot ask for anything more from him. The players love him and believe the game isn't over until it's over. I'm only 27 but I know there hasn't been a coach I'd take over Gase in my lifetime of loving the Fins. Even Belichick has had some wins that were questionable and 2 SBs the other team gave away. The facts still are the same. Gase has brought us to the playoffs and if the season ended today, we'd be in again without our starting QB. With all the **** he's had to deal with, I'd say he should be in consideration of COY. I think we've become so used to winning that we don't appreciate as much. Sounds weird but I truly believe it. I expect them to win every week. I never used to go into a game like that. The best part is the players do as well. I think that's a direct correlation between the Head Coach and his players. Just my opinion brother. PHINS UP no matter what!!

Last edited:
You're a great poster and I'm not trying to get on you one bit. I just don't understand what he has to do to get the WHOLE fanbase behind him. Our Offense was never going to look like Peyton's but we're 13-4 in the last 17. I really cannot ask for anything more from him. The players love him and believe the game isn't over until it's over. I've only 27 but I know there hasn't been a coach I'd take over Gase in my lifetime of loving the Fins. Even Belichick has had some wins that were questionable and 2 SBs the other team gave away. The facts still are the same. Gase has brought us to the playoffs and if the season ended today, we'd be in again without our starting QB. With all the **** he's had to deal with, I'd say he should be in consideration of COY. I think we've become so used to winning that we don't appreciate as much. Sounds weird but I truly believe it. I expect them to win every week. I never used to go into a game like that. The best part is the players do as well. I think that's a direct correlation between the Head Coach and his players. Just my opinion brother. PHINS UP no matter what!!

All good bro, I got no problem with people disliking or not understanding my position about gase, nothin wrong with that. I've just seen this story before so as you get older you learn not to just ride the wave and look at things just how they are, how games play out, what decisions are being made, play calling, stuff like that. For example, my baseball team the Red Sox just won the division two years in a row and just fired their manager because he was terrible, we lost the first round playoffs two years in a row by a decent margin when a few simple decisions either way would of had us in it at the very least. Because I've watched my teams struggle and win and lose I guess I've learned to recognize what's actually happening easier as time has went on. I like your positivity in all your posts and I don't like being negative but I like less being untruthful about what I see so I just call it like i see it, be it negative or positive.

I tend to care less and be a lot more even keel about sports as I get older, realizing the spirit of them is what really matters, because that's what It's really all about. That is probably the reason I tend to like the players a lot more than the coaches, because the players on my teams usually give it their all unlike say the NBA or something like that where they put no effort in. The coaches usually tend to be a lot more about the ugly side of sports, like politicking and only w's/losses which is not what the true nature of sports is about.

All good bro, I got no problem with people disliking or not understanding my position about gase, nothin wrong with that. I've just seen this story before so as you get older you learn not to just ride the wave and look at things just how they are, how games play out, what decisions are being made, play calling, stuff like that. For example, my baseball team the Red Sox just won the division two years in a row and just fired their manager because he was terrible, we lost the first round playoffs two years in a row by a decent margin when a few simple decisions either way would of had us in it at the very least. Because I've watched my teams struggle and win and lose I guess I've learned to recognize what's actually happening easier as time has went on. I like your positivity in all your posts and I don't like being negative but I like less being untruthful about what I see so I just call it like i see it, be it negative or positive.

I tend to care less and be a lot more even keel about sports as I get older, realizing the spirit of them is what really matters, because that's what It's really all about. That is probably the reason I tend to like the players a lot more than the coaches, because the players on my teams usually give it their all unlike say the NBA or something like that where they put no effort in. The coaches usually tend to be a lot more about the ugly side of sports, like politicking and only w's/losses which is not what the true nature of sports is about.

Oh okay brother fair enough..Like you said, nothing wrong with having a productive debate. I see more so now where you're coming from. Thanks brother!! Let's keep this going on a short week!! PHINS UP!!!

Here's the deal on Moore. He is a gunslinger. He will throw more picks and make more mistakes, but he will have more big plays as well. Does he have more talent than Cutler? Maybe not. But he has the team with him. Those intangibles matter. They want to play for Moore and will play harder for him. I know it sounds strange, but it is true. Is he the answer? No. He has his limitations, but if he will take us just as far or even further than Cutler will, and we could have saved 10 million if we would have just given him the team from the day Tannehill went down.

I think the gunslinger approach can help open up lanes for Ajayi too. If there is a constant threat of a QB throwing it downfield, they can't crowd all 11 defenders within 6 lines of the LOS... they were stacking like crazy all day against us, and it starts with them having no fear of our passing game. I do believe Moore (though not a top flight QB) can help reduce that crowding around the line..

One thing I like to bring up is, beside poor mechanic and seemingly lack of urgency, the defensive coordinators have no respect for Culter. People tended to overlook that, I did. The league will copy Jets, putting 8 men box, regardless of the score and time. Our OL at this point cannot overcome this type of defense and Ajayi constantly got touched behind the line. In third and long, Culter will keep on happy feet, and our third down conversion will keep belonging at the bottom.

With Moor, defense will has to respect his deep ball. Safety has to stay back. CB run support will be lessen. LB has to protect middle of the field. This open up the whole offense. I take it and happy to swallow few occasionally ints.

Cutler IMO had his best game yesterday. You give him time and he was throwing the ball all over the field. I guess if Cutler is the problem this week, some will never like him. His one int was because the Jets have an absolute stud field general in Adams (man I wish we had him). I love and respect Moore but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We all remember what happened once he finally played a good team. Don't get me wrong the Pats and Steelers are no joke but those are the type of teams Matt will see very shortly. Ravens are a pain everytime we play them and I hope it doesn't turn out bad for Moore. It's nice to know we still have a shot with Moore. Most fan bases don't have this luxury. Phins Up!!!

Cutler may have had his best game yesterday, but that's not saying much. I'll say this about Cutler. I think he's done a pretty good job when he's gotten to the red zone. It seems like he's had success finding the open receiver and completing throws. And he did a good job with that yesterday. I'm also not gonna blame the INT on him. Things happen.

I still don't think he played well yesterday. He was just not terrible. He had a couple nice throws between the 20's. But that was it. A couple. They weren't exactly high degree of difficulty but they got the job done. There was the first throw to Thomas and one other...I can't remember to who it was, but they were both about 15 yards downfield. The long completion to Stills was a poor throw. Other than that, he was missing his spots with frequency and there were some balls that maybe could have been caught, but I turned to my dad at least three times and said "poor throw, poor catch". He can't throw a 10 or 15 yard out because he doesn't have the arm strength any more. He can't throw a long ball because again he doesn't have the arm strength any more. Everything is 10 yards over the middle or a dump off. We are extremely limited with him at QB and there's no question opposing defenses have seen the game tapes and are well aware of this. The offense opened up immediately with Moore at QB, which is why I find some of Gase's comments this morning confusing. Moore can make throws that Cutler can not. Period. End of story.

Cutler may have had his best game yesterday, but that's not saying much. I'll say this about Cutler. I think he's done a pretty good job when he's gotten to the red zone. It seems like he's had success finding the open receiver and completing throws. And he did a good job with that yesterday. I'm also not gonna blame the INT on him. Things happen.

I still don't think he played well yesterday. He was just not terrible. He had a couple nice throws between the 20's. But that was it. A couple. They weren't exactly high degree of difficulty but they got the job done. There was the first throw to Thomas and one other...I can't remember to who it was, but they were both about 15 yards downfield. The long completion to Stills was a poor throw. Other than that, he was missing his spots with frequency and there were some balls that maybe could have been caught, but I turned to my dad at least three times and said "poor throw, poor catch". He can't throw a 10 or 15 yard out because he doesn't have the arm strength any more. He can't throw a long ball because again he doesn't have the arm strength any more. Everything is 10 yards over the middle or a dump off. We are extremely limited with him at QB and there's no question opposing defenses have seen the game tapes and are well aware of this. The offense opened up immediately with Moore at QB, which is why I find some of Gase's comments this morning confusing. Moore can make throws that Cutler can not. Period. End of story.

At strictly throwing a football, you think Matt Moore has a better arm than Jay Cutler? What else reason do you think Cutlers survived and started in this league for so long? They didn't game plan for Moore, he really has no pressure because he's the backup, and Jay threw 75% with 2tds and a 114 QB rating. We have over 23 drops on the season. That hurts Cutler. His footwork is the reason he makes dumb throws. Look when he had time to throw the ball and step into his throws. The long completion to Stills is a 50/50 ball that he threw off his back foot. I'm not saying that's a good thing but when talking about arm talent, that is extremely impressive. We're just as limited with Matt as we are with Jay. Most would say more so with Matt. People have to keep in mind Jay was still trying to learn his receivers tendencies. That's not something you can learn overnight or in 2-3 months. I could see an argument about Moore being a better fit for us but not even close in arm talent. Moore is a career backup for a reason. I hope you're right but Moore fell apart against good teams. He is what he is. A great back up and an average starter without any upside. Moore will throw dumb ints just like Jay will. Our Defense played better in the 2nd half. Cutler really cannot control that. Moore is a great spark off the bench but once teams start game planning for him, I don't trust him one bit.

At strictly throwing a football, you think Matt Moore has a better arm than Jay Cutler? What else reason do you think Cutlers survived and started in this league for so long? They didn't game plan for Moore, he really has no pressure because he's the backup, and Jay threw 75% with 2tds and a 114 QB rating. We have over 23 drops on the season. That hurts Cutler. His footwork is the reason he makes dumb throws. Look when he had time to throw the ball and step into his throws. The long completion to Stills is a 50/50 ball that he threw off his back foot. I'm not saying that's a good thing but when talking about arm talent, that is extremely impressive. We're just as limited with Matt as we are with Jay. Most would say more so with Matt. People have to keep in mind Jay was still trying to learn his receivers tendencies. That's not something you can learn overnight or in 2-3 months. I could see an argument about Moore being a better fit for us but not even close in arm talent. Moore is a career backup for a reason. I hope you're right but Moore fell apart against good teams. He is what he is. A great back up and an average starter without any upside. Moore will throw dumb ints just like Jay will. Our Defense played better in the 2nd half. Cutler really cannot control that. Moore is a great spark off the bench but once teams start game planning for him, I don't trust him one bit.

Your reservations regarding Moore are well founded. I haven't watched much of Cutler in years past to be honest. I know his reputation is that he has a cannon for an arm and that is why he has held on in this league for so long. I'm just telling you, you watch this guy this year, he doesn't have that cannon any more. His passes have no zip, and it takes an eternity for the ball to get out there on a 10 yard comeback route near the sideline. Maybe he used to have a great arm, but if that's the case he has definitely lost something. Yes, I think Moore undeniably has a better arm than Cutler as things stand today. I trust my eyes on this one.

Maybe he has just forgotten how to plant and throw the ball, but does it matter? Whatever the reason is, he just can't make throws any more. And I posted up some numbers from Cutler last week about his numbers when NOT under pressure, and it was something like 50% completion percentage for 4 yards an attempt. This is when there's no reason to throw off his back foot.

And look, Matt Moore was just making basic throws last week. There was nothing to gameplan against. Gase even said he couldn't scale back the offense any more than it already was.

Last edited:
Your reservations regarding Moore are well founded. I haven't watched much of Cutler in years past to be honest. I know his reputation is that he has a cannon for an arm and that is why he has held on in this league for so long. I'm just telling you, you watch this guy this year, he doesn't have that cannon any more. His passes have no zip, and it takes an eternity for the ball to get out there on a 10 yard comeback route near the sideline. Maybe he used to have a great arm, but if that's the case he has definitely lost something. Yes, I think Moore undeniably has a better arm than Cutler as things stand today. I trust my eyes on this one.

No problem brother. The best thing about the forum is that we can agree to disagree but ultimately want the same outcome..Another Dolphin win this week!! PHINS UP!!

Don't see much difference to be honest. Moore will disappoint too, there is no saviour at qb this season[/QUOTE
I feel what you are saying, I hope Matt won't disappoint but both are basically the same player.

Things are bad when we are debating how good Moore is over Cutler, that's like deciding if you want Aids or cancer. I hated the Cutler signing and Moore is a career backup that for all intensive purposes isn't much better. Will Moore step up and lead us to the promise land?...unlikely, is he the better starter for us right now?.....yes.

Back
Top Bottom