If Foster/Reddick are off the board by #22 - list your TOP 5. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Foster/Reddick are off the board by #22 - list your TOP 5.

My top 5 - who would you take? Please post your own top5 below.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's been confirmed by both Gase and Burke that we will not be changing the scheme or philosophy of the defense. They want "continuity".

Wait...so other things he says are coach speak but this is gospel? LOL.

I also heard him say more man to man coverage for DB's.

Wait...so other things he says are coach speak but this is gospel? LOL.

I also heard him say more man to man coverage for DB's.

Where was that?

For a DC who has always and only coached the 4-3 Over, and mainly the gym shorts scheme, what else would you expect? You really think there will be major changes in spite of what was said?

Where was that?

For a DC who has always and only coached the 4-3 Over, and mainly the gym shorts scheme, what else would you expect? You really think there will be major changes in spite of what was said?

It was from an article on my twitter feed. Direct quote but I don't have a link.

I don't expect them to change schemes or terminology but I think they will tweak certain areas to fit Burkes interpretation of his defense, not Vance Joseph's.

It was from an article on my twitter feed. Direct quote but I don't have a link.

I don't expect them to change schemes or terminology but I think they will tweak certain areas to fit Burkes interpretation of his defense, not Vance Joseph's.

Doesn't bode well for our LBs if that's the case. Simply b/c their first read is run as off the ball backers and then dropping under routes in zone is more efficient.

Not sure about the source, but I would gander it has more to do with pattern-match in which the result is usually man coverage after route development.

Vance Joseph ran a decent amount of zone blitzes for this scheme, where as Burke has said he'll steer more towards the gym shorts attacking philosophy. IF that is the case, Cover 2 man makes some sense coverage wise but relying on the front 4 for pass rush but will be a detriment to the run defense. And as soon as we need to bring the 8th man in for run support, man coverage comes off the table due to a lack of a true FS.

Doesn't bode well for our LBs if that's the case. Simply b/c their first read is run as off the ball backers and then dropping under routes in zone is more efficient.

Not sure about the source, but I would gander it has more to do with pattern-match in which the result is usually man coverage after route development.

Vance Joseph ran a decent amount of zone blitzes for this scheme, where as Burke has said he'll steer more towards the gym shorts attacking philosophy. IF that is the case, Cover 2 man makes some sense coverage wise but relying on the front 4 for pass rush but will be a detriment to the run defense. And as soon as we need to bring the 8th man in for run support, man coverage comes off the table due to a lack of a true FS.

Here is part of it but paraphrased after press conference at owners meetings I think.

– What he looks for in a corner. Can he tackle? Play man? Football knowledge. Getting Xavien Howard acclimated coming from the BIG 12 where it’s all spread out and now he’s facing stacked formations and route combinations he hasn’t seen before. The off-season injury really slowed his progress. “Big spring for X,” said Gase.

– In Denver, they had Chris Harris, Bradley Roby and Aqib Talib and we’re playing man-to-man all game.

The above jives with some of the things we’ve heard from Mike Tannenbaum this off-season. We have to get better at challenging routes early, at the line of scrimmage, and at all three corner positions. The Patriots offense is equipped to destroy zones with their intimate knowledge of their own play book. They’ve also got man-beaters that destroy teams that don’t match-up well.

From Adam Gase...

Gase noted how Miami wants to play man-to-man coverage, a luxury the Denver Broncos were able to afford when he was an assistant there.

“It changed our whole program,” Gase said of Denver loading up at cornerback. “We got lucky with Chris Harris. We got (Aqib) Talib and then (Bradley) Roby and all of the sudden we’re playing man to man and that’s it. Because those three guys can play as good a man to man coverage as you can ask DB’s to play. With what we ask our guys to do, we play a lot of very close to man to man defense. We know we have guys that are able to do that.”

Another reason why I think a corner is in play over first two rounds this year.

Here is part of it but paraphrased after press conference at owners meetings I think.

To me that doesn't translate as more or strictly man coverage but simply of the overall package of what is needed as a starting NFL CB. We use left and right CBs so in plays against, let's say, 3x1 passing strengths the weakside CB in that situation will often be left in man with possible bracket coverage from the safety in Cover 2 or in MEG (Man Everywhere he Goes) in single high.

In Denver a that time they also had front 7 blitz options in Del Rio's Under scheme that are not available to us which allowed them for the CB's to play more man coverage.

The Patriots info is old hat. They've been running those concepts for quite a while now. Pattern-match is a better defensive coverage to try and combat their offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Adam Gase...

Another reason why I think a corner is in play over first two rounds this year.

Interesting. I don't doubt CB is in play but strictly man coverage won't work in our Over front. A handful of plays determine a game's outcome. We will be giving up those handful of plays due to our scheme flaws and simple coverage errors if we don't drastically recreate our defense.

I've been charting our defensive formation tendencies from last year and ironically we started the year using a good amount of nickel until it became apparent we could stop the run and it forced us into our base D to address the issue. But of course that has it's draw backs as well being how many TDs we gave up thru the air and still struggled vs the run due to scheme.

To me that doesn't translate as more or strictly man coverage but simply of the overall package of what is needed as a starting NFL CB. Since we use left and right CBs so in plays against, let's say, 3x1 passing strengths the weakside CB in that situation will often be left in man with possible bracket coverage from the safety in Cover 2 or in MEG (Man Everywhere he Goes) in single high.

In Denver a that time they also had front 7 blitz options in Del Rio's Under scheme that are not available to us which allowed them for the CB's to play more man coverage.

The Patriots info is old hat. They've been running those concepts for quite a while now. Pattern-match is a better defensive coverage to try and combat their offense.

NE old hat? I guess it will be until we figure out how to stop them.

Gase noted how Miami wants to play man-to-man coverage,
Doesn't translate in wanting to play more of it? ok...

Gase said they ran all man in Denver and I don't think they needed the blitz to do it with the rushers they had in Ware, Miller, Jackson. I also think they were in the bottom 8 in blitz percentage.

I guess we'll see going forward but I believe it will be to the players strengths and we should still add a corner high in the draft as well as a FA when cuts are made. They said they want to collect more. Maxwell is probably a cap cut next year and we really don't have a true #1 CB yet. Looking at what he had in Denver and the way he talks about what he wants for this defense, I look for more edge rushers and cover corners. Rush and cover. He was only the OC but they did take a nickel corner in round 1 and made a big FA signing with Talib.

Honestly ... if I was the GM, if Forrest Lamp was there, Id take him in a heartbeat. While we have been plagued with poor LB play the last few years, our G play has been much worse. Im tired of seeing Tannehill getting beat up every year. Lamp would be an immediate starter and help solidify our O-Line. I would much rather get our starting G in the 1st round, then get one in the 3rd round round again (Dallas Thomas). Just get G in the 1st round and get it over with ... and fill your defensive holes with the rest of the draft.

If Lamp is gone before we choose ... then try and get either DE Jordan Willis, or LB Zach Cunningham. There is something about Cunningham I really like. I just have a feeling about him that hes gonna be an all-time great, and he'll be a stud for any team that picks him up. This is a very DEEP draft in finding a LB, and Miami should walk away with at least one ... I hope its Cunningham somehow.

I know it wont happen, but if we can somehow walk away with both Cunningham and Lamp ... that would be AMAZING!!

NE old hat? I guess it will be until we figure out how to stop them.

Yes, they've been using those offensive concepts for quite a while now. You don't beat them with heavy man coverage either. I hope that's not the plan.

Doesn't translate in wanting to play more of it? ok...

You play strict man coverage vs 3x1 trips, bunch, or stack, you're toast.

Gase said they ran all man in Denver and I don't think they needed the blitz to do it with the rushers they had in Ware, Miller, Jackson. I also think they were in the bottom 8 in blitz percentage.

I guess we'll see going forward but I believe it will be to the players strengths and we should still add a corner high in the draft as well as a FA when cuts are made. They said they want to collect more. Maxwell is probably a cap cut next year and we really don't have a true #1 CB yet. Looking at what he had in Denver and the way he talks about what he wants for this defense, I look for more edge rushers and cover corners. Rush and cover. He was only the OC but they did take a nickel corner in round 1 and made a big FA signing with Talib.

I'd like to know specifically b/c I truly doubt they played heavy man coverage in a 5 man Under front while not blitzing at a high percentage. Doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, It's most likely a blitz if Von Miller is rushing the passer.

I'd prefer LB or DE for the first pick....but:

[video=youtube;REqKA5zRCyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REqKA5zRCyU[/video]

Yes, they've been using those offensive concepts for quite a while now. You don't beat them with heavy man coverage either. I hope that's not the plan.

You play strict man coverage vs 3x1 trips, bunch, or stack, you're toast.

I'd like to know specifically b/c I truly doubt they played heavy man coverage in a 5 man Under front while not blitzing at a high percentage. Doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, It's most likely a blitz if Von Miller is rushing the passer.

What did we run back in the day of Madison, Buckley and Surtain? 4-3 over wasn't it?

Denver blitzed at 22% in 2014 according to PFF. (Take it for what it's worth) Probably not a lot of blitzing in the under base but wouldn't Terrance Knighton likely have left the field in the nickel with Miller as strong side rusher.

What did we run back in the day of Madison, Buckley and Surtain? 4-3 over wasn't it?

Denver blitzed at 22% in 2014 according to PFF. (Take it for what it's worth) Probably not a lot of blitzing in the under base but wouldn't Terrance Knighton likely have left the field in the nickel with Miller as strong side rusher.

Yes, we ran the 4-3 Over 15+ years ago. About the last time it still had relevance before the new influx of offensive trends hit the NFL.

Eh, not a fan of PFF at all. They struggle to decipher coverages and assignments. But for what it is 22% is below average but not gym shorts level (historically less than 10%)

Back
Top Bottom