If Foster/Reddick are off the board by #22 - list your TOP 5. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Foster/Reddick are off the board by #22 - list your TOP 5.

My top 5 - who would you take? Please post your own top5 below.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never take a safety or a 4-3 SAM with a #1; both positions are cheaper than that. With a #1, you draft for greatness. You gotta think playmaker or Line, not support.

With our team, RB, WR, OT, C, and QB are off the table in round one. It doesnt leave much. G or TE on offense and DL or CB or defense. Anything else is a wasted pick.

I'm not sure I could justify a CB pick either. Not with a 1... you want that guy to start unless he's a QB.

Unless the F.O. loves one of the TEs, it's gotta be Lamp or an Edge in my mind.

Never take a safety or a 4-3 SAM with a #1; both positions are cheaper than that. With a #1, you draft for greatness. You gotta think playmaker or Line, not support.

With our team, RB, WR, OT, C, and QB are off the table in round one. It doesnt leave much. G or TE on offense and DL or CB or defense. Anything else is a wasted pick.

I'm not sure I could justify a CB pick either. Not with a 1... you want that guy to start unless he's a QB.

Unless the F.O. loves one of the TEs, it's gotta be Lamp or an Edge in my mind.

So a saftey isn't a playmaker?

Good to know.

For the most part... no.

Very VERY few safeties make enough plays to justify the draft position to select them. They aren't as in demand as a shut-down corner or a pass-rusher. Sure there are a few stars at any position, but selecting one in the first is a well-known waste of resources. Look at the history of past drafts and how few of them go that high.

Slow down. In fact, put it in park and toss the keys out of the window. Walk home post, you are drunk.

Some of the best defensive playmakers currently and in the history of the NFL come from the safety position. A great, even very good, safety changes everything about a defense and what they are capable of doing.

If this were true... more of them would be taken early... but it Isn't, and they are not.

If this were true... more of them would be taken early... but it Isn't, and they are not.

Depends on the talent available. Just because there is a lack of quality DTs, WRs, or even QBs in this years draft doesn't mean they can be had for cheap and are not worthy of a 1st rd selection.

You don't even have to go back that far to see how safeties Duane Bucannon and Ha Ha Clinton Dix changed their teams defenses in 2014. Especially Bucannon who revolutionized the way the Cardinals scheme.

In 2012, Mark Barron has done the same for the Rams and Harrison Smith is also one of the top FS in the league.

All of these players were drafted in the first.

Again... very few Safeties are taken in the first. There is a reason for that. 1 or 2 per year max. This means good players slide down. There's zero reason to buy high.

I picked Njoku. The potential he has against LBers covering him is awesome. Chunk yardage all day.

1) Obi Melifonwu
2) Budda Baker
3) Zach Cunningham
4) Taco Charlton
5) Jordan Willis

I'm no expert, I like the look of lots of players but I can see that it will probably be a Defensive player (75%+ probability) and so we go best player available despite prioritized needs at SAM Linebacker, Free Safety, Defensive Tackle and Defensive End. Reddick would be the pick but I assume he is long gone. Players of Obi's size and athleticism are extremely rare and the upside is very high but he's a work in progress and there is definitely some risk. On top of that, Tannenbaum could be risk averse with the stench of Dion Jordan's exit so fresh. Budda Baker and Cunningham would be safer and more sensible picks, but I really like the upside that comes with Obi - he's a physical freak. (Just think of Brandon Marshall's size only he can run faster, jump further and can tackle).

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is more of a chance of us taking Defense than offense. The recent article where Gase spoke about Bushrod improving in the second year of his offense's scheme convinced me that Guard will not be a first round priority. That said, I think our OL will be among one of the worst in the NFL this season. For a good number of games our OL will look like this: Tunsil, Steen, Ted Larson, Bushrod and Sam Young.

True...I just can't help thinking about how both Julius Thomas and Anthony Fasano are injury concerns. )

You couldn't be more wrong regarding Fasano as he's missed 1 game out of the last 48 games played
and he's missed 12 games in 11 years...Now with Thomas,that's a whole different can of worms

Again... very few Safeties are taken in the first. There is a reason for that. 1 or 2 per year max. This means good players slide down. There's zero reason to buy high.

So just because only a few are taken each year- that means they aren't worthy of a first round pick? If they are talented enough they are worthy of being drafted in the first round

It's like you are admitting there are great playmaking safeties out there but you'd be better off drafting another position instead, even if it's a a lesser player

Basically you are saying Koa Misi + Jared Odrick > Earl Thomas

Back
Top Bottom