If Ireland is fired Philbin may be gone as well | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Ireland is fired Philbin may be gone as well

Let's be honest, if that PI penalty on Hartline doesn't happen and Miami, with that momentum, goes in for 6, Miami wins the game and our conversations are different today. I don't know that's going on with the OLine, but it's not one of the classic swiss-cheese OLine games that I've seen around the league all year. Miami had 7 sacks against the Cardinals and then St. Louis had 8 against them the following week. There are bum OLines and there are mediocre ones and that would be ours. I do think the issue in our run game is that teams are loading up to stop us and we're not making them pay. Also, teams have seen the film on us and we've reached the end of what we can do with just scheme.
Let's look at why our defense has given up so many rushing yards lately. It's because our secondary is so bad that we have to overcompensate to cover the pass. We're spread out and fixated on it and running lanes are happening all over the place. Plus, let's be honest. We've faced some high-round pick talented mofos out there lately. Spiller is a talented player, and CJ2K is a damn superstar. Still, Buffalo was spreading us out and whipping our DB's ass last night.
My point is that we can't run until we can get these teams scrambling in the pass game. Until these teams have to really be concerned with getting lit up through the air they will continue to make our OLine's job miserable.
Our OLine is far from perfect, but they hung in there long enough to give #17 time much more often than not. Our QB is inaccurate and our receivers don't get enough space often enough.

I kinda forgot what my point was here relating to the thread title. Maybe it's just that Philbin/Sherman are doing OK if our players make the plays. If teams want to stack the box, then hit the open receivers and tear down the field.

This is why we won't get a new GM though: A new GM isn't gonna be in love with our rosters, or who are draft picks were in previous years. They won't coddle Tannehill. They won't care about which system he ran when. So a new GM will look at Tannehill as an inaccurate QB who fails to make plays. A new GM will probably bring in a veteran that he knows can play the game. You'll have a REAL QB competition in camp. Tanny really will have to earn it and that is in doubt right now. Miami's previous investments will fall by the wayside, and I just don't think Ross has the balls to do that. Ross won't have the stones to shred everything that's come before. Ross won't admit that the whole brain trust that's put in place is a failure and scrap it. Ross won't risk losing the investment they've made in Tannehill, starting just at the PR standpoint and team marketability standpoint. Plus he knows that there's no guarantees the new guy will get it right either. So he will stay the course. The whole course.

The ABSOLUTE LAST thing this franchise needs is a first-time GM who requires several seasons of OJT to even be serviceable.

We must have a Proven Commodity who has a track record of personnel choices that WORK.
This is an unfair statement. Not every first time GM needs several seasons to be a good evaluator. Plus we need someone who has already worked with Philbin before so they can be on the same page during draft time & fre agency, which WILL be the most crucial time for us (because of all the picks & money we've acquired). Gaine would be a god choice based primarily on the grounds of continuity & the fat that people around the league see him as a good future GM candidate. I'm thinking that if Ireland gets fired (which he should), it should either be Briane Gaine or MAYBE someone from Green Bay's front office. But Gaine should be the one we end up with in the end.

NYC to Buffalo is actually a haul.

Rich people dont drive. They fly 30 minutes across the state. Give it up dude. Carl Peterson at a Buffalo game is nothing more than Carl Peterson at a Buffalo game.

I've seen this scenario posted here before, but one response I haven't seen is the fact that the front office could opt to restructure, so that the GM reports to the head coach. Other teams do this - I couldn't tell you specific teams off the top of my head, but not every team has an owner-team president-GM-head coach hierarchy. While this may limit our options for a new GM, as I suspect most experienced GMs would want total control of football operations, it still allows us some flexibility in keeping Philbin.

If Ireland is fired the idea that Philbin will also be fired is a very real possibility since a new GM might want their own head coach. If Philbin is fired after just one season, even with a losing record, this franchise deserves all the negative attention and laughter we would get during the offseason.

Things look ugly right now, but firing Philbin and looking to replace Tannehill is not the way to go to try and fix things. New head coaches starting rookie quarterbacks usually have early struggles and growing pains, with some rare exceptions. Why can other teams be allowed to have those growing pains and the Dolphins can't? Starting completely over is not the way to go. If at the end of the year Ross decides Ireland is not the GM for the long term(I still think Ross is going to stick with him), you better hope that Ross lets Philbin pick the GM or that they promote from within.

Another complete startover(GM, head coach, QB) is just going to lead to more struggles and pain. You can't keep firing and replacing people after only one season, you can't build that way. If you want to fire and replace Ireland, fine, but make sure you are able to keep your head coach and quarterback in place.

Completely agree!!! I think they go after a Green Bay scout personnally. But I do think Philbin is a long shot to be fired at the end of the season if Ireland is fired which I think he will be.

yeah lets just fire a coach who seems to have the potential to be good. that line of thinking is exactly why we've been mediocre forever. no stability. lose one season, just keep firing the coach and get another right? you gotta give philbin a chance to build the team. at least 3 years. do you see the talent that he was given on this roster? no wr's. below averge o line. below average secondary. give it time. even the great bill belichick went 5-11 his first year with the pats

yeah lets just fire a coach who seems to have the potential to be good. that line of thinking is exactly why we've been mediocre forever. no stability. lose one season, just keep firing the coach and get another right? you gotta give philbin a chance to build the team. at least 3 years. do you see the talent that he was given on this roster? no wr's. below averge o line. below average secondary. give it time. even the great bill belichick went 5-11 his first year with the pats

Whos saying fire philbin? I for one am not advocating firing him. The question is if Ireland is gone, does that mean that Philbin follows due to a new GM calling the shots. I hope thats not the case and it seems thats the prevailing thought but if its the case of either both of them staying or both of them going than thems the breaks.

I've been saying this for weeks. Also don't understand how promoting within would change a damn thing. All these scouts are Ireland protégés, the **** makes you think they're any better.

This season has honestly changed my outlook on this team, I don't care about individual players anymore. I want this team to be successful, if that means bringing in a prolific GM who will fire Philbin, that's what I'm all for. If that GM doesn't think highly of Tannehill, so be it.

Firing Ireland will at least give the board the nice reset button it desperately needs... and give some of us some piece of mind for the future :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom