If Jarvis Landry is a TRUE team player... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Jarvis Landry is a TRUE team player...

marino2duper73

Active Roster
Reaction score
Something I've been pondering...

With the slough of injuries, and the obvious need to pick up some veteran players to fill voids in our LB group and interior OL, the money will be thin to get Landry his extension this year.

That being said, if the FO says: "You understand with all off the injuries...", does Landry do the "team player/leader" thing and allow for the process after the season?

Or does he get tagged next year, and we lose him in 2019?

The way Parker is about to blow up these next 2 years, I think Jarvis's asking price is naturally going to come down. I'm not sure he realizes just yet how big of an effect Tannehill has on his stats just yet, I love Tannehill and his precise/conservative play style, but he's kind of a dink and dunker. Jay is going to stretch the field and Parker will be the beneficiary, imo of course.

He wasn't going to get a new deal this year anyways.

I think he would if he would sign a team friendly deal, something like 11 mil per year. But like his boy ODB, he feels he is a top WR in this league, and should be compensated accordingly. The fact we essentially control him for 2 years makes it a big risk for Juice to play on his rookie contract, but he doesn't strike me as the type to worry too much about anything imho. Dudes just a pure baller, with a ton of confidence which is really what you want at that position, except when it comes to contract negotiations lol.

He's going to want to get as much as he can for him. His career could be over in a blink of an eye with one bad hit. I'd ask for the most I could as well.

In all likelihood Landry is in for a down year. Cutler seems to be looking for Parker more than anyone else and Cutler has never been known to take the safer play and throw underneath when nothing is open downfield...he'll force plenty of passes downfield. I'd be surprised if Landry gets to 75 receptions this year where he was always a threat to get 100+ in a season.

Why should any player take less that market price?

For the same reason Fletcher Cox did in Philly, teams control you with the franchise tag and players don't want to get hurt on short term deals. Sometimes taking less money than you want (JPP) is actually the more prudent financial decision in the long run as opposed to always banking on your talents. S*** happens, ask RT.

I think he would if he would sign a team friendly deal, something like 11 mil per year. But like his boy ODB, he feels he is a top WR in this league, and should be compensated accordingly. The fact we essentially control him for 2 years makes it a big risk for Juice to play on his rookie contract, but he doesn't strike me as the type to worry too much about anything imho. Dudes just a pure baller, with a ton of confidence which is really what you want at that position, except when it comes to contract negotiations lol.
If that was the case he'd have a deal already,
And thank God our front office isn't paying players what they think they're worth.

Like you guys said above, Parker is the type of receiver Jay has thrived with. The fact he's calling him "a faster Alshon" means a lot IMO. I thought ,since the second we got Cutler, Parker would benefit due to Cutler's "let it fly" play. For the first time, I'm truly starting to believe Landry may not be a Dolphin. (Please god be wrong)

I say getchyo money son...NFL not loyal to anybody. If Landry & the team can come within a reasonable constructed understanding than all the better. But every player deserves what they are worth, even if perceived as "too much".

This has been discussed a lot and Landry is my favorite player we have......but this is a very tough situation. First although he is a playmaker and has good RAC ability he is not a number one type of receiver. Second, we just gave Stills a big deal, Parker will be coming up in a couple years, we also gave up a lot to pick up Carroo. We still have A LOT of needs on this team, so to tie up a large amount of money at just one position is questionable. I hope we can work something out.....but I just have a feeling he may walk. Another option and another guy I really like is Tannehill, if we cut him it will create the space we need for Landry. Sucks because I like both players!

In football many only get 1 2nd contract after their rookie deal (some don't even get that). Players have a responsibility to themselves to get every last penny they can out of it. I wouldn't expect any 24 year old to take a home town discount.

Back
Top Bottom