If Jarvis Landry is a TRUE team player... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Jarvis Landry is a TRUE team player...

Landry's not scoring 8-10 TDs on less receptions. He only scored 4 TDs last year on 94 catches. And he only had 4 TDs on 110 grabs in '15. A year where Tannehill threw 24 TDs. Miami is smart not to extend him. Let's see what he does this year. He's the best slot receiver in the league....but, he's far cry from a top 5 overall wide receiver.

Hey, kid...let's just go get Bauman and hit Jack in the Box hammered at 11am. Pop in that Dallas Forty!

Here we go with another back handed swipe at Hartline. He was a 4th round pick who vastly outperformed his draft status. He was fairly rewarded for having back to back 1000 yd seasons despite mediocre QB play.
His contract was fair and reasonable for a starting WR.
Mike Wallace was vastly over paid.

I'm not back handing Hartline. What did BH do after his payday?

No argument on Wallace, Marshall, and any other "saviour" WR brought in to mask a crappy QB.

I see your Tom Brady and I raise you a... See: Tom Brady's wife's bank account!

Nah in all seriousness, I know what you meant but you have to take Brady and the Patriots off the table as an example. They may be only team in past decade that a player would/will take discount for. With the Patriots and BB at the helm, you are almost surely getting to AFC Championship at least. Players will go to Patriots for a year for their shot at ring and then cash out(i.e. Revis, Bennett last season to extent) in the midst of their careers but a young player taking a discount for a team is something totally different. The league is changing, players are checking out/retiring earlier & earlier, they will look to get their money as soon as possible and as much as possible, can't fault for that.

I see your point with Brady's wife and her bank account. However, it is the most glaring example of playing for the game AND your team's best interests in getting other players signed. I get the whole aspect of getting his money now, but where would he go and have any better role in an offense AND contend?

I see your point with Brady's wife and her bank account. However, it is the most glaring example of playing for the game AND your team's best interests in getting other players signed. I get the whole aspect of getting his money now, but where would he go and have any better role in an offense AND contend?

The wife thing was just a mere joke from me with a pinch of honesty. Younger Tom Brady got paid his second contract and then from there on out it was adjusted around team needs(always a way to make it to where a player takes a cut for the team but makes it up in signing bonus or something.. Last go around in 2016, Brady redid/extended contract for 13mil signing bonus, 13 mil signing bonus, 7 mil signing bonus, 7 mil signing bonus for 4years total. Only thing that was odd was base salary in 16 was 740k compared to other years at 14mil). Factor in endorsement deals with shoes, suits, hell even a car brand now for him, he was set money wise at this point in his career and can now chase rings and legacy.

What I am saying is at Landry's age, contending may get outweighed by money. If he signs a 4yr deal, he will able to get a 3rd contract and be more focused on that championship. Not saying that is what he will do but with the nature of the sport & injuries, best get that money now and set yourself up for rest of life after football. As far as where he could go to get paid & contend at same time after this season is a tough question... Don't see Packers forking over that type of money, Saints maybe and the NFC and their division is always up for grabs, hell even the Bucs, they are a few pieces away if Winston ever gets his forced balls into INTs fixed(not sure on their cap figures and if Mike Evans is going to get paid). Miami is now at point that we don't need to go out and overpay for a Mike Wallace type of player, Gase and the system will do wonders(defense is another story).

If I were Landry, I'd look back and say Miami had a chance to sign me earlier, I played out most of my contract and outperformed expectations. I'm going to look elsewhere or force a trade if I have to. Y'all had your chance and you gambled, someone else will pay me.

If I were Landry, I'd look back and say Miami had a chance to sign me earlier, I played out most of my contract and outperformed expectations. I'm going to look elsewhere or force a trade if I have to. Y'all had your chance and you gambled, someone else will pay me.

Wow! He outperformed a rookie contract. Welcome to the NFL, kid. Please have him a force a trade without damaging his trade value. Trade him to the Giants and then he can dye his hair pink and odel can have pink fingernail polish to match. They can both get pink shoes (year round, not just October), and put a pretty pink bow in their hair to match. How cute.

Something I've been pondering...

With the slough of injuries, and the obvious need to pick up some veteran players to fill voids in our LB group and interior OL, the money will be thin to get Landry his extension this year.

That being said, if the FO says: "You understand with all off the injuries...", does Landry do the "team player/leader" thing and allow for the process after the season?

Or does he get tagged next year, and we lose him in 2019?
They could have spent the money they just handed to Cutler on him, chose to pay Stills before him. He is a team player and has proven that on the field. To make a stupid financial decision for the sake of a team that has given Jones and Pouncey early extensions but yet ignore you is not being a team player. The NFL is a business, the dolphins will not be doing any players favors contract time when they want to cut or pay them as little as possible

How does a free agent force a trade?

Back
Top Bottom