If Jarvis Landry is a TRUE team player... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Jarvis Landry is a TRUE team player...

I agree, the one thing we do have going for us is no income tax which can make a pretty big difference in negotiations.

Some have already said it. But parker and stills will benefit most from Cutler with his style of play. Cutler likes to force it to big guys over the middle and his arm will allow stills to thrive downfield. Wouldnt shock me to see Landry's production go down because of Cutlers play style.

Thomas would benefit alot as well considering Cutler liked Bennett alot while he was in Chicago. But I doubt that guy plays more than 10 games.

I say getchyo money son...NFL not loyal to anybody. If Landry & the team can come within a reasonable constructed understanding than all the better. But every player deserves what they are worth, even if perceived as "too much".
Yeah I mean no offense, but if it were me the only way Im not taking a market value deal is if I am signing with the team I grew up loving. One blown knee could be a career ending type of thing so Im getting as much as I can as fast as I can.

Landry will still get his, but Parker is the alpha and will be looked at by Cutler as the alpha.

Stills and Parker will be the best pass catchers this season.

Great insight on this. I'm leaning towards this scenario...

IF Miami makes the playoffs with Cutler, then Landry might still be compelled to stay in Miami for Tannehill in 2018. That means franchise tag next season. If the team performs poorly this year, Tannehill's value of success to Landry may increase, giving Jarvis a tough decision.

Is there really a difference between 13M in Florida, and 15-17M elsewhere when it comes to taxes? Maybe. However, Landry's contract situation may hinge on his TD ratio to catches this year. Like mentioned above, I don't think 5 TDs a year warrants Antonio Brown-type money. His agent might be saying that, as well as his friends and family...but stranger things have happened.

I remember Brian Hartline having a 1,000 yd season, and robbing the owner's wallet shortly after.

The value of a slot receiver, league-wide, should be measured by the production of the other WRs on the team as well. A lot of the time, the outside #1 received and TE have huge numbers because the threat at slot creates matchup problems for the opposing secondary. See: Wes Welker in Denver/NE, Edelman NE, Antonio Brown PIT.

Another factor might also be how Landry performs with Parker getting more touches. If Landry catches less passes, because of less targets, but scores 8-12 TDs, he may put himself into the #1 money. I guess time will tell.

If Landry catches less passes, because of less targets, but scores 8-12 TDs, he may put himself into the #1 money. I guess time will tell.

Landry's not scoring 8-10 TDs on less receptions. He only scored 4 TDs last year on 94 catches. And he only had 4 TDs on 110 grabs in '15. A year where Tannehill threw 24 TDs. Miami is smart not to extend him. Let's see what he does this year. He's the best slot receiver in the league....but, he's far cry from a top 5 overall wide receiver.

If that was the case he'd have a deal already,
And thank God our front office isn't paying players what they think they're worth.

I don't think it's been confirmed, but if Jarvis is asking for top 10 money, I'd let him walk and take the compensatory pick, which is what they might already plan on doing. A franchise tag would be ridiculous. I get it. Football is a violent sport where the average career is short, so I hope he gets all the money he wants and more, just not here.

Great insight on this. I'm leaning towards this scenario...

IF Miami makes the playoffs with Cutler, then Landry might still be compelled to stay in Miami for Tannehill in 2018. That means franchise tag next season. If the team performs poorly this year, Tannehill's value of success to Landry may increase, giving Jarvis a tough decision.

Is there really a difference between 13M in Florida, and 15-17M elsewhere when it comes to taxes? Maybe. However, Landry's contract situation may hinge on his TD ratio to catches this year. Like mentioned above, I don't think 5 TDs a year warrants Antonio Brown-type money. His agent might be saying that, as well as his friends and family...but stranger things have happened.

I remember Brian Hartline having a 1,000 yd season, and robbing the owner's wallet shortly after.

The value of a slot receiver, league-wide, should be measured by the production of the other WRs on the team as well. A lot of the time, the outside #1 received and TE have huge numbers because the threat at slot creates matchup problems for the opposing secondary. See: Wes Welker in Denver/NE, Edelman NE, Antonio Brown PIT.

Another factor might also be how Landry performs with Parker getting more touches. If Landry catches less passes, because of less targets, but scores 8-12 TDs, he may put himself into the #1 money. I guess time will tell.

Here we go with another back handed swipe at Hartline. He was a 4th round pick who vastly outperformed his draft status. He was fairly rewarded for having back to back 1000 yd seasons despite mediocre QB play.
His contract was fair and reasonable for a starting WR.
Mike Wallace was vastly over paid.

See: Tom Brady

I see your Tom Brady and I raise you a... See: Tom Brady's wife's bank account!

Nah in all seriousness, I know what you meant but you have to take Brady and the Patriots off the table as an example. They may be only team in past decade that a player would/will take discount for. With the Patriots and BB at the helm, you are almost surely getting to AFC Championship at least. Players will go to Patriots for a year for their shot at ring and then cash out(i.e. Revis, Bennett last season to extent) in the midst of their careers but a young player taking a discount for a team is something totally different. The league is changing, players are checking out/retiring earlier & earlier, they will look to get their money as soon as possible and as much as possible, can't fault for that.

This is the Dolphins, so it is about the money. No one comes here to be a Dolphin. You know that you are sitting behind one team with a very good chance to go to and win the Super Bowl, surely to make the play offs.

If he became a Patriot he would win 3 Super Bowl and make people almost forget Wes Welker.

I think you get players to behave that way when the example has already been set by one of the team's most important players (like Brady in New England, who regularly takes pay cuts), and the players perceive that there's something special going on with the team (again, like New England).

Without those conditions, I can't blame a player for thinking of himself first when it comes to the money he feels he's earned. You get one or maybe two chances to sign a hefty contract during your career in the NFL, and you can't let that pass you by when your career typically extends only to your early to mid-thirties.

If that was the case he'd have a deal already,
And thank God our front office isn't paying players what they think they're worth.

The best way to ensure the players get paid their full worth is to let them play out their contracts and hit the open market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom