If Ryan Tannehill plays like this next season, what would you do? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Ryan Tannehill plays like this next season, what would you do?

If Tannehill completely bombs next season, it is conceivable that Devlin takes his job. Philbin seems to have a thing for Devlin and I think with the right grooming he could turn into something. At the very least, Devlin will be our backup for a few years imo, and could be trade bait down the road if Tannehill becomes the Franchise QB we all hope he is.

If he plays this bad for the remainder of this season and two more just like it he will be back there. If Chad Henne taught me anything it thats the QB for the Dolphins need not produce at ALL to keep the job locked up for years. It used to be a QB would be pulled in a GAME if he was struggling to make the plays...Now it takes seasons and many horrible losses to enact change. Thats why I really hope he snaps out of it....I can't take 3 more years of QB play like Chads.

That is the question...how much patience does the fan base have? It is going to be a process for RT to become a good NFL QB. He is not Andrew Luck or RGIII.

I can tell you from my perspective. I would have more patience if he would be 'just' a #8 pick. But this offseason crap Tannehill pulled shortened the leach of patience.

Bob Griffin has hit the rookie wall as well, and if you look at Luck, he had one huge game against a weak ass secondary. Keep it in perspective. Luck is an anomaly. He will have a huge career but I have my doubts he would have a 6-3 record as the Dolphins QB this year. We need Tannehill to move the ball and score TDs not set records.

First we need the OL to allow Tannehill to have time to complete the passing plays. He's getting pressured and hit way too many times, causing him to get rid of the ball too early.

We also need the following:
1. 2 good Guards
2. WRs with speed, size, and run good routes
3. Another Pass Rusher
4. Speed LBs
5. Backup to Daniel Thomas
6. I would say TE - but Egnew will play next year

Give us that and continued development of the secondary we can be hard to beat. If we give Tannehill weapons the defense doesn't have to play so close to the vest - they can take chances the turn games around.

When you have Bess running deep routes you know you are in trouble at wide receiver. Teams know that all they have to do is take away the run and Tannehill doesn't have enough options to beat them. Tight ends? Where's the playmaker there? Hartline is nice, but he needs help. So until there are more weapons for Tannehill how can we really grade him? We have seen glimpses of what he might become. At this point, Tannehill has less talent than the other top rookie quarterbacks Griffin and Luck. If he plays this way with talent around him then we obviously don't have the right qb.

The Excuse Making here for Tannahill is ratcheting up with every shoddy performance.... I suspect people will start changing their tune if we get rolled in the next three games... At this point my confidence in him is spiraling; his abject lack of "clutch" is all on him and not something that can typically be taught.

The Excuse Making here for Tannahill is ratcheting up with every shoddy performance.... I suspect people will start changing their tune if we get rolled in the next three games... At this point my confidence in him is spiraling; his abject lack of "clutch" is all on him and not something that can typically be taught.

Lets be honest you were never behind. To give up an a rookie after a few bad game is beyond moronic.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

I can tell you from my perspective. I would have more patience if he would be 'just' a #8 pick. But this offseason crap Tannehill pulled shortened the leach of patience.

What crap did he pull?

his lack of TDs is mainly due to lack of receivers and playmakers. We have to give him some more talent around him

I will agree that 50% of the problem is a lack of talent, but mainly is too strong of a comment. He has not been playing well since he was injured.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

First we need the OL to allow Tannehill to have time to complete the passing plays. He's getting pressured and hit way too many times, causing him to get rid of the ball too early.

We also need the following:
1. 2 good Guards
2. WRs with speed, size, and run good routes
3. Another Pass Rusher
4. Speed LBs
5. Backup to Daniel Thomas
6. I would say TE - but Egnew will play next year

Give us that and continued development of the secondary we can be hard to beat. If we give Tannehill weapons the defense doesn't have to play so close to the vest - they can take chances the turn games around.

Good list!

Ryan Tannehill is 0-5 when throwing 1 or more picks.

My concern is his lack of touchdowns and the inability to score points when we need to.

My question is this, come next season, if he continues to play like this (more INT's than TD's) would you continue to play him 2 more years. (total of 4 years?)

Should we at this point play Moore or Devlin to see if they have anything else to offer and possibly save the season or do we tank it and position ourselves for the upcoming draft?

d-1

I think the team needs to give him time to develop. The issue we have right now is that our best receiver is Brian Hartline, and every time I say that I have to stop myself from laughing because he isn't good enough to be a team's main receiver in this league. At best he is a number 2 or 3 receiver. Don't get me wrong he's a decent enough player, but what this team needs to do is surround Tannehill with top talent. They need to go out there and do what the Buccaneers have done with Freeman, they signed Vincent Jackson to their roster and he's been an excellent asset for Freeman and has helped him take a huge step forwards in his career. We need to get at least one proven receiver, if not two proven receivers in order to make Tannehill's job a whole lot easier. If we don't get that type of talent then Tannehill is going to continue to struggle like Blaine Gabbert is at Jacksonville because the lad doesn't have the talent around him to do much better than he already is.

But to go back to your original question of how long do we stick with Tannehill, then I guess what it comes down to is exactly how well or bad Tannehill performs. Now if Tannehill was to show signs of continued improvement (i.e. Gabbert has gone from a 65 QB rating to a 76 QB rating this season; Ponder has gone from 70 to an 85 QB rating; and Andy Dalton has gone from an 80 rating to a 91 rating), then he will be our long term franchise quarterback without a doubt, even if he is only improving slowly like Gabbert the fact is that Gabbert and Tannehill have a lot of potential to develop into excellent NFL QBs if they are nurtured in the correct manner and are surrounded by talent. However, if Tannehill was to fall away this season, or show no signs of improvement next season, or even show limited signs of improvement (i.e. like Gabbert), then the Dolphins may ditch Tannehill if they are in a position to draft another top prospect. One only needs to look at what the Panthers did after Clausen's first season, because they went out the next season and drafted Cam Newton with the number 1 pick. So if Tannehill was to blow out in a similar manner, then I think this franchise could, and perhaps would ditch him after two seasons if they were in a position to sign someone better.

I mean the new CBA has significantly reduced top rookie QB contracts. JaMarcus Russell was signed to a $68 million deal with $31 million guaranteed; and Sam Bradford was signed to a $78 million deal, with $50 million guaranteed, and if he hit all his bonus targets would be worth a maximum of $86 million. Now compare those deals to what Andrew Luck netted with his rookie contract - $22 million. Cam Newton's deal was $22 million of which all was guaranteed money. And Tannehill's deal is only worth $12.6 million, so it is plausible that the Dolphins could cut Tannehill, or perhaps even bench him if he didn't work out as our starter. It all depends on exactly how much development he shows, and also, how committed this organisation is to developing Ryan Tannehill. At the end of the day the NFL is about winning and putting yourself in the best position to win. If that means that the Dolphins decide to ditch Ryan Tannehill, then so be it. But I do I think we will stick with Tannehill and won't do a Panthers because the 2013 and 2014 draft does not feature someone like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck or RGIII. However, his position could come under threat if Joe Flacco (FA in 2013) or Matt Ryan (FA in 2014) became available, which their respective teams would be stupid to allow, then one of those two could instantly displace Tannehill if this team managed to land a top free agent for once - but that scenario is highly unlikely.

So I think Tannehill will stay our QB as long as he shows progression, and what will happen is this team will build around Tannehill by drafting top talent and signing decent free agents to come in.

If Devlin had been playing this year, we would be ahead of the Patriots right now guaranteed. But heck we're losers, we can't even play our best qb because we invested so much in Tannehill, and we're going to waste a couple more years.

stupidpost-1.jpg

Ryan Tannehill is 0-5 when throwing 1 or more picks.

My concern is his lack of touchdowns and the inability to score points when we need to.

My question is this, come next season, if he continues to play like this (more INT's than TD's) would you continue to play him 2 more years. (total of 4 years?)

Should we at this point play Moore or Devlin to see if they have anything else to offer and possibly save the season or do we tank it and position ourselves for the upcoming draft?

d-1

My concern is his lack of touchdowns and the inability to score points when we need to.d-1[/QUOTE]

well bro there wouldnt be any concerns if Tanny had WRs to throw to instead of a bunch of slot receivers.

My question is this, come next season, if he continues to play like this (more INT's than TD's) would you continue to play him 2 more years. (total of 4 years?)d-1[/QUOTE]

imo when and if we get him some WR help Tanny will be good to go and if we would have signed T.O. / OR Plax. we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Should we at this point play Moore or Devlin to see if they have anything else to offer and possibly save the season or do we tank it and position ourselves for the upcoming draft? d-1[/QUOTE]

i promise you , with the WRs we have right now it would only be worse to bring in Devlin. Moore on the other hand would prob play just as bad ,WITHOUT ANY WR HELP.

Back
Top Bottom