if this is true then dolphin fans are going to be pissed.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lorenzo Rules, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

on espn this morning they were saying the Commish wants to reward teams that dont rest players at the end of the season and it means bad teams may pay a high price for it.

Goodell wants to give the colts extra draft picks and he wants to take draft picks away from have not type of teams which is us.

this may be just goodell trying to get the pats and colts to stay at the top but its definately is a concern . I hope Goddell doesnt pull this crap.

2. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Goddell SUCKS he is a complete and utter FAILURE!!! He is doing every thing he can to ruin the NFL Era were any team can compete and return it to the era that the big spenders win!

3. Akronfinfan36

Akronfinfan36 Please win another title before I die

Please don't tell me that you sit through 90 minutes of NFL Sunday Countdown.

4. finnns2000

finnns2000 A True Fan

Well it's been three decades since we won anything, what's it to us?

5. BE GOOD

BE GOOD Pick and choose Wayne...

This was the CBS in game interview, right?
    I think when he was talking about giving extra picks out he was referring to the CBA expiring this year. I thought he was saying he wanted to level out the playing field as much as possible, and give out picks to small market teams.

But I may have heard wrong?

6. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

They mentioned it during the game today. Where the **** were you?

It's not going to happen this season anyway. So who the hell cares? I'd have no problem with getting an extra pick or two next season when we have the AFC locked up ;)

7. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

The colts DID rest their players. I dont understand.

And LOL at the idea of the colts, pats, steelers, and chargers picking in the top 5 every year. I'd stop watching...

8. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Goodell was on during the Dolphins game and yes he did mention possibly giving draft picks to teams in return for not resting players. However, he did say that they would not punish teams by taking picks away and wanted to offer this as a reward not a punishment.

9. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

So hold on...say it were to happen this season...so if the Colts play their players last week against the Jets they get an extra draft pick? I heard it briefly but i was talkin and bs'in when Goodell was talking.

10. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

so he wants to give extra picks to teams for doing what they should do anyway? what kind of bull is that? He wants the pats and Colts to stay on top no matter what.

Ozzy rules!!

11. zigzagzz

zigzagzz Starter

He only said the competition committee will look into other ways to entice other teams to play their star players one possible scenario would be to award team a draft pick... i don't see that flying cuz to many factors would be involved for a team to rewarded a draft pick, he was saying that he wants games to mean something for the fans and it has to be enjoyable for the fan (between the lines it means the high stakes of gambling IMO) .It was like todays game between IND/Buff ...Indy had nothing to play for and why risk a injury?

12. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

yea i dont see how giving extra picks to a top team is really fair either

13. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

That would seriously upset the apple cart. Teams in a position to rest players at the end of the season are the ones at the top. Awarding them extra picks would fly right in the face of the leagues stated goal of competitive parity.

God, I hope there are enough owners that are getting tired of this tool to run him out of town on a rail.

14. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Hot Sauce Moderator Finheaven VIP

they also mentioned reseeding the playoff system. make the top 6 teams get in , instead of 1 from each division and 2 wildcards. makes sense but kind of takes the rivalry out of the game.

15. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Agreed. Every sentence out of his mouth is either incomparably boring or completely inane. One look at his face and he never should have been hired.

Okay, that's harsh, but I can't stand the guy. I can only imagine how he'll make sure the labor negotiations lead to either a lockout or some type of hidden problem down the road.

Giving extra draft picks is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Can you imagine the subjectivity involved? What week does it start? How long do the starters have to play? Do they have to try? What if someone like Welker tears up his knee and alters his career, is that compensated with a 7th rounder?

The bye system naturally sets up instances where teams want to rest their players. If you lack the bye and are locked into the playoffs already, it's natural to use the final week as essentially a bye, like Arizona today.

Goodell has a 17 or 18 game season in mind. So I guarantee this topic is more of a concern than we understand right now. He knows if he expands the schedule then more late season games will be meaningless and flooded with reserves.

What about the situation where a clinched team benefits by beating someone to prevent a rival or dangerous team from reaching the playoffs? Are you going to reward them with a draft pick for something they intended to do in the first place? :lol:

16. baseballcb95

baseballcb95 A True Fan

goodell is a complete incompetent moron.

[/thread]

17. sodenj5

sodenj5 Starter

People need to relax here. You honestly think they'd get a first rounder? Goodell didn't mention it, but I can almost guarantee that the pick the team would get for playing their starters at the end of the year would be a 6th or 7th round pick. Just a little something to give to the team to convince them to play their starters when you have games with big playoff implications like this week. What's wrong with that? They have nothing to play for, and most teams are probably going to refuse that offer after what happened to Welker today.

18. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

that would be stupid the reason they are resting them is so they dont get hurt they dont deserive extra draft picks for not resting players just leave it how it is

19. seble24

seble24 Rookie

Stupid idea. Almost always the teams that need help at the end (including us this year) brought that on themselves. If you leave your playoff destiny up to other teams then you don't deserve special help.

20. joenhre

joenhre Starter Donator

I was never a huge fan of Taglibue but he looks like a genius compared to this Goodell guy. Hell if you're going to do something like that I'd rather have the league penalize teams for sitting their starters. Why reward them for it?

21. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 Perennial All-Pro

its all fixed anyway

22. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Another redistribution of wealth scheme? Who does he think he is, Obama?
    I doubt the owners in the league would allow that. Does the commish even have that kind of authority? I hope not.:crazy:

23. Breed

Breed Pro Bowler

Goodell is the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL.

24. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

He was on today and said it's just one of the many things being considered. His first duty as a commissioner is to protect the brand, and, he's just doing due dilligance. I think it's a bad idea, for the record, but it's not like it's a done deal.

25. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

This is ridiculous. I know that the Colts resting Manning and co has upset the fans, but the Commissioner seriously considering giving draft picks to those playoff teams that don't rest players is a dumb knee-jerk reaction. Goodell is media savvy and sees the negative response last week, but he is poorly advised if he seriously pursues this one. This is analogous to a politician floating an idea just for appearances.

26. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

Goodell needs to be replaced. He's a fool. He's destroying the NFL.

27. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Revenue reports and ratings say otherwise.

28. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Goodell is a absolute moron!!! The guy looks like the spawn of Opie maiting with Aunt Bee!!! He is a figure head for owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Synder!

29. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Starter

I'm not saying that I think it is a good idea, but one way to objectively do it is to give bonus picks for outstanding or historic records.

If you go undefeated, you get an extra first rounder the next two years. Kinda like the horse racing Triple Crown bonus......

If you go 15-1 in the regular season, you get an extra 2nd rounder etc.

Sure, it flies in the face of what the NFL has historically used draft picks for, but it would encourage not resting starters.

30. greenmiamicat

greenmiamicat Well-Known Member

I doubt teams would risk injury for draft picks that may be busts.

31. VT Dolphan

VT Dolphan Pro Bowler

Does Goodell have Peyton Manning on his fantasy team or something?

32. hrpuffin

hrpuffin Well-Known Member

The draft pick idea will never fly. They do need to find a way to punish the teams that do this. The Texans got screwed this season and the Jests got an unfair advantage. You do all know this is only going to get worse when the league goes to 18 games? But when you see what happened to Welker you cant blame teams for doing it. I think punishment of some sort should be done rather than reward. Maybe slipping a few spots in the draft for sitting players rather than rewarding them with a better or extra pick.

33. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Goodell has a lot of nerve showing up at the Miami game week 17, tell me somebody punched him in the mouth.

As far as the new rule it probably has nothing to do with resting starters, as long as they win they get the extra pick (obviously an easier task with manning playing), otherwise the rule would be extremely dumb as opposed to just very dumb.

I think the owners should have to compensate the fans if they want to rest starters, for home games reimburse season ticket holders and make the game 1/3rd price for instance.

34. gota

gota Rookie

What's with all the hate? The dude runs the most successful sports league in the world. How exactly is he "destroying it"? You guys speak as if you have a clue what his job entails when you don't! Besides, nothing is etched in stone. You should at the very least appreciate his attempt at keeping teams like the Jets from getting a free pass into the playoffs. They beat not just one, but TWO teams resting their starters. If that were our schedule, we'd be in the playoffs right now. This will become an even bigger issue if the Jets win next week.

35. DanTheManFinFan

DanTheManFinFan Starter

For all those talking about "punishing" teams for resting players you can forget that to.....Should a rule like that go through, I can see a lot of players getting an "eye injury" or "blurred vision" or some other lame excuse for an injury before/during the last game or so of the season in order to sit.

36. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

My solution is to set some standards, like 75% of all starting players must play a min. of 65% of the game if healthy or else the team is compelled to refund 50% of the admission price. I've alway been a firm believer through years of professional experience that no matter the issue, you're most always gonna get more compliance using the stick than the carrot.

37. zackmandude63

zackmandude63 Poconos Phinatic!

I think there should be a rule against resting your players. The Jets are in the playoffs, and they dont deserve it, because they goy to play against a Colts team led by Curtis Painter....OOOOOOOOHHHHH! The Texans are a much deserving team, annd they got screwed out of the postseason, because the Jets got to ploay againt B-squads. It's rediculous, I bust my hump each and every day at a job I hate, yet these guys get paid millions to play a game. Shut up and play!!

38. CTFinFan

CTFinFan Everybody wang chung tonight

Extra draft picks? What's he going to do, go to an 8th round? Who cares? What good is that going to do for anybody? Or maybe, wait, I know, he'll go to an NBA-style lottery where the best teams that didn't rest players will automatically get a crack at the top picks. Yea, that's it! And all the owners will line up right behind him too!
    What are you getting so excited about? The whole idea is ridiculous but if the Dolphins were in Indy's position I'll bet you'd love it.