if this is true then dolphin fans are going to be pissed. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

if this is true then dolphin fans are going to be pissed.

People need to relax here. You honestly think they'd get a first rounder? Goodell didn't mention it, but I can almost guarantee that the pick the team would get for playing their starters at the end of the year would be a 6th or 7th round pick. Just a little something to give to the team to convince them to play their starters when you have games with big playoff implications like this week. What's wrong with that? They have nothing to play for, and most teams are probably going to refuse that offer after what happened to Welker today.

that would be stupid the reason they are resting them is so they dont get hurt they dont deserive extra draft picks for not resting players just leave it how it is

Stupid idea. Almost always the teams that need help at the end (including us this year) brought that on themselves. If you leave your playoff destiny up to other teams then you don't deserve special help.

I was never a huge fan of Taglibue but he looks like a genius compared to this Goodell guy. Hell if you're going to do something like that I'd rather have the league penalize teams for sitting their starters. Why reward them for it?

This was the CBS in game interview, right?
I think when he was talking about giving extra picks out he was referring to the CBA expiring this year. I thought he was saying he wanted to level out the playing field as much as possible, and give out picks to small market teams.

But I may have heard wrong?

Another redistribution of wealth scheme? Who does he think he is, Obama?
I doubt the owners in the league would allow that. Does the commish even have that kind of authority? I hope not.:crazy:

Goodell was on during the Dolphins game and yes he did mention possibly giving draft picks to teams in return for not resting players. However, he did say that they would not punish teams by taking picks away and wanted to offer this as a reward not a punishment.

Goodell is the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL.

He was on today and said it's just one of the many things being considered. His first duty as a commissioner is to protect the brand, and, he's just doing due dilligance. I think it's a bad idea, for the record, but it's not like it's a done deal.

This is ridiculous. I know that the Colts resting Manning and co has upset the fans, but the Commissioner seriously considering giving draft picks to those playoff teams that don't rest players is a dumb knee-jerk reaction. Goodell is media savvy and sees the negative response last week, but he is poorly advised if he seriously pursues this one. This is analogous to a politician floating an idea just for appearances.

Goodell is a absolute moron!!! The guy looks like the spawn of Opie maiting with Aunt Bee!!! He is a figure head for owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Synder!

Agreed. Every sentence out of his mouth is either incomparably boring or completely inane. One look at his face and he never should have been hired.

Okay, that's harsh, but I can't stand the guy. I can only imagine how he'll make sure the labor negotiations lead to either a lockout or some type of hidden problem down the road.

Giving extra draft picks is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Can you imagine the subjectivity involved? What week does it start? How long do the starters have to play? Do they have to try? What if someone like Welker tears up his knee and alters his career, is that compensated with a 7th rounder?

The bye system naturally sets up instances where teams want to rest their players. If you lack the bye and are locked into the playoffs already, it's natural to use the final week as essentially a bye, like Arizona today.

Goodell has a 17 or 18 game season in mind. So I guarantee this topic is more of a concern than we understand right now. He knows if he expands the schedule then more late season games will be meaningless and flooded with reserves.

What about the situation where a clinched team benefits by beating someone to prevent a rival or dangerous team from reaching the playoffs? Are you going to reward them with a draft pick for something they intended to do in the first place? :lol:

I'm not saying that I think it is a good idea, but one way to objectively do it is to give bonus picks for outstanding or historic records.

If you go undefeated, you get an extra first rounder the next two years. Kinda like the horse racing Triple Crown bonus......

If you go 15-1 in the regular season, you get an extra 2nd rounder etc.

Sure, it flies in the face of what the NFL has historically used draft picks for, but it would encourage not resting starters.

Back
Top Bottom