Interresting stats, follow up on offense balance. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interresting stats, follow up on offense balance.

So far this week, the team that has run more time than its opponent is 3-0 (Ravens, Lions, Cowboys).

of course, we have to account that green bay, and oakland both suck. so does pittsburgh as far as that goes.

I'd say in the case of those three games, it's just the better overall team won. the three losing teams are a combined 12 games under .500

Shouright & ATL_PHIN_FAN,

I'm glad this point was raised. My gut reaction is that rushing attempts differential is correlated with time of possession; however, my gut reaction is that time of possession is uncorrelated with win percentage. Why? There are too many instances in which games are decided by huge plays. Not just long passing plays, but especially special teams return touchdowns and defensive touchdowns. These occurrences will reduce dramatically such a team's time of possession advantage while dramatically increasing a team's rushing attempt differential and win percentage.

This is another reason why I doubt the causal relationship between rushing attempt differential and win percentage. To do so, you would have to eliminate games in which these unanticipated game-changing plays occur.
When such plays alter the outcome of a game, the team negatively impacted by such events must throw the ball almost exclusively while the benefitting team can then run the ball without needing to incur the risks associated with passing e.g. interceptions, incompletions, clock stoppage, sacks, etc.

Shouright - can we further this analysis by calculating the correlation between a) time of possession and rushing attempt differential and b) time of possession and win percentage?

OK, I've seen the stats you are referring to and they definitely show that when we do try to rush in most situations, we are successful most of the time. However, we also have to consider the matter of ball control. Is the correlation between winning and ball control better than the correlation between running attempts and winning? I suspect it is.

Ball control can be achieved by running or with a short passing game, or with a mix of the two. Against a team like Carolina with a top 5 run defense, perhaps the ball control method of choice in that situation clearly was the short passing game?

Last edited by a moderator:
so am I to believe that pittsburgh lost to baltimore because baltimore had 5 more rush attempts than pitt?

looking at the box score pittsburgh basically won every single stat category they keep track of.

first downs, total yards, time of possession, 3rd down efficiency, 4th down efficiency, average gain per play, net yards rushing, yards per rush, net yards passing, sacks taken, punt average, penalties, penalty yards, and fumbles... they did tie for total plays...

of course, we have to account that green bay, and oakland both suck. so does pittsburgh as far as that goes.

I'd say in the case of those three games, it's just the better overall team won. the three losing teams are a combined 12 games under .500

OK, the week prior, every team who ran the ball more than its opponent won - with three exceptions: MIN/GB was a tie, and both Manning brothers lost. That's a record of 10-2-1 (not counting the TB/DET game where both teams rushed the ball 24 times).

If you're interested in the breakdown from week 12, here it is:

NO/ATL
25-22

TB/DET
24-24

MIN/GB
43-34

JAX/HOU
28-21

SD/KC
27-18

CAR/MIA
28-17

PIT/CLE
34-16

STL/CHI
29-26

BAL/NYJ
31-28

TEN/OAK
29-23

ARI/IND
30-15

DAL/NYG
20-30

NE/DEN
31-48

SF/WASH
33-27

Not to get too technical, but if this calculation was done as a regression analysis I don't think that is optimal. What we need to do is a one-way ANOVA, splitting the data by discrete levels of turnover differential e.g. minus 2 or worse, minus 1, even, plus 1 and plus 2 or more. Then we can calculate 5 separate correlation values between rushing attempt differential and win percentage for each group.

It looks as if the correlation between rushing attempts differential and winning percentage is diminished by just a tad less than 0.1 by controlling for turnover differential.

Obviously there is the potential for a path analysis here that includes a larger number of relevant variables, and it would likely point to the fact that there's more than one way to skin a cat (i.e., win).

However, I suspect that what it would also show is that, when you don't have a QB who can carry an offense, you probably ought not be imbalanced in the direction of the pass.

Another relevant thing here is that turnovers are largely random. They don't even predict their own future occurrence within the same season. So I don't think teams should be planning their offensive strategies on the basis of turnovers.

Shouright,

See my earlier post regarding my hypothesis that time of possession is uncorrelated to winning due to the presence of unanticipated game-changing plays e.g. defensive and special teams touchdowns.

Here, Green Bay jumped to a 14-0 lead due to the benefit of a pick-six TD. I believe these rare events alter the relevance of applying statistics to predict the outcome of such games.

It's like those academics who model the stock market as following a lognormal distribution and their model falls apart due to the rare occurrence of unanticipated crash events, which are impossible to predict.

I don't think so either. We're working with a correlation at this point. We'd need much more than that to establish causality.

However, take a look at this game, as well:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310206009

Here we see the converse, where QB rating differential, YPA differential, and turnover differential -- all variables strongly associated with winning -- favor one team to a large degree, in which case the expected result would be a blowout, yet the difference in the running game resulted in only a six-point win.

from the looks of this list, quite a few of those teams who are in the lead with rushing attempts have an at or below .500 record. I must be confused, I thought that I was told rushing attempts correlates positively to winning ballgames.

It looks like that list is filtered by rushing yards, not rushing attempts.

From that list, you've got 8 teams under 1,000 yards:

25 Arizona 976
26 Baltimore 973
27 NY Giants 972
28 Miami 939
29 Pittsburgh 922
30 Cleveland 891
31 Atlanta 822
32 Jacksonville 735

Most of these teams have losing records. Also, 7 out of the 8, are in the bottom half of their division.

Let's take defense out of the equation. Who scores the least points per game? Let's look at the bottom half of all 32 teams, and see if we can find those 8 teams in there. If they're NOT, and they're in the top half, then there's no correlation. If they are, then that makes 2 correlations I can observe. I'm looking now...

Ok....yes, they are ALL in the bottom half:

18 Arizona
21 Pittsburgh
23 Miami
24 Baltimore
25 Atlanta
27 Giants
29 Cleveland
32 Jacksonville

Not to get too technical, but if this calculation was done as a regression analysis I don't think that is optimal. What we need to do is a one-way ANOVA, splitting the data by discrete levels of turnover differential e.g. minus 2 or worse, minus 1, even, plus 1 and plus 2 or more. Then we can calculate 5 separate correlation values between rushing attempt differential and win percentage for each group.
What would be the rationale for that? Are you talking about on a per game basis, or overall on the season? What I did earlier in the thread was a partial correlation between winning percentage and rushing attempts differential, controlling for turnover margin on the season. I assume you're talking about a per game analysis here?

Shouright,

See my earlier post regarding my hypothesis that time of possession is uncorrelated to winning due to the presence of unanticipated game-changing plays e.g. defensive and special teams touchdowns.

Here, Green Bay jumped to a 14-0 lead due to the benefit of a pick-six TD. I believe these rare events alter the relevance of applying statistics to predict the outcome of such games.

It's like those academics who model the stock market as following a lognormal distribution and their model falls apart due to the rare occurrence of unanticipated crash events, which are impossible to predict.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...tial-an-essential-indicator-of-success-in-nfl

Also, however, I think you have to plan your strategy on the basis of the absence of such rare events, and then adjust accordingly if they do happen.

Notice also that despite the fact that Green Bay went up 14-0 on the basis of a rare play, Pittsburgh kept running the ball.

Shouright & ATL_PHIN_FAN,

I'm glad this point was raised. My gut reaction is that rushing attempts differential is correlated with time of possession; however, my gut reaction is that time of possession is uncorrelated with win percentage. Why? There are too many instances in which games are decided by huge plays. Not just long passing plays, but especially special teams return touchdowns and defensive touchdowns. These occurrences will reduce dramatically such a team's time of possession advantage while dramatically increasing a team's rushing attempt differential and win percentage.

This is another reason why I doubt the causal relationship between rushing attempt differential and win percentage. To do so, you would have to eliminate games in which these unanticipated game-changing plays occur.
When such plays alter the outcome of a game, the team negatively impacted by such events must throw the ball almost exclusively while the benefitting team can then run the ball without needing to incur the risks associated with passing e.g. interceptions, incompletions, clock stoppage, sacks, etc.

Shouright - can we further this analysis by calculating the correlation between a) time of possession and rushing attempt differential and b) time of possession and win percentage?
I think we're getting a little lost in the weeds. We still have a team that's near-last in the league in its percentage of offensive plays that are runs, which is also using a developmental QB who isn't by any means lighting the world on fire, and has a zero turnover differential on the season. I think we're going to struggle mightily to find anything that adequately and justifiably explains that degree of abandonment of the running game. Certainly the performance of the running game alone doesn't do it, and I'm not sure we should be going beyond that much if at all, in terms of examining other variables.

I mean we can certainly put me on a statistical wild goose chase, and it would be fun to collect the data and click the buttons and see what the results are, but I'm not sure there's any sensible theoretical rationale for that. :)

I'm looking to see if there is a monotonic relationship between turnover differential and the correlation between win percentage and rushing attempt differential. If the relationship is monotonic, it suggests that turnover differential is the driving force. I can't tell that from one single number.

What would be the rationale for that? Are you talking about on a per game basis, or overall on the season? What I did earlier in the thread was a partial correlation between winning percentage and rushing attempts differential, controlling for turnover margin on the season. I assume you're talking about a per game analysis here?

It looks like that list is filtered by rushing yards, not rushing attempts.

From that list, you've got 8 teams under 1,000 yards:

25 Arizona 976
26 Baltimore 973
27 NY Giants 972
28 Miami 939
29 Pittsburgh 922
30 Cleveland 891
31 Atlanta 822
32 Jacksonville 735

Most of these teams have losing records. Also, 7 out of the 8, are in the bottom half of their division.

Let's take defense out of the equation. Who scores the least points per game? Let's look at the bottom half of all 32 teams, and see if we can find those 8 teams in there. If they're NOT, and they're in the top half, then there's no correlation. If they are, then that makes 2 correlations I can observe. I'm looking now...

Ok....yes, they are ALL in the bottom half:

18 Arizona
21 Pittsburgh
23 Miami
24 Baltimore
25 Atlanta
27 Giants
29 Cleveland
32 Jacksonville

I was going by rushing attempts, not the order the poster had the list done in, basically anything over 300 attempts based off his list, is what my post referred to.

To see 5 correlation numbers, one for each turnover differential bucket, that would just be pooling all games.

To do a true ANOVA would require per game data. In this case we wouldn't examine correlations to winning pct, but simply the rushing attempt differential for each game. The ANOVA F-Test would quantify the statistical significance of the variation among the mean values of rushing attempt differentials across the 5 turnover differential groupings. If the mean values were monotonic with respect to turnover differential, then it would show how much rushing attempt differential is a proxy for turnover differential.

Back
Top Bottom