Is Devlin still on the team?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Devlin still on the team??

I highly doubt that Devlin's arm is as weak as Matt Flynn's rag arm. Sure Devlin doesn't have a howitzer for an arm but his arm is at least decent.

I never said that you have to have a strong arm to succeed. BUT, you better have some confidence in it and not be scared to make throws. Devlin has no arm and he knows it. You don't have to believe me, watch him play and then get back to me.
When did you watch him play? The last time I saw him play was late in the 4th quarter in the last preseason game where he went 4 for 4 and drove us down to the 1 yard line with must poise and no sacks. I really don't think he lacks confidence. I know that he was at the top of the list of almost every QB stat his senior year, so he must not be terrible.

i said ,having arm strength will better your accuracy and timing.

pennington was playing when we were dead right? then came the wildcat. yeah we beat 1 team w/ a winning record and a bunch of nailbiters against the pathetic teams like the niners,broncos,raiders ,seahawks, rams, chiefs and bills twice. and then played a real team and penny blew it, like he did the next year with an 0-3 start.

Arm Strength and Accuracy are two COMPLETELY different things.

With all due respect, that is a ridiculous statement!

Arm Strength and Accuracy are two COMPLETELY different things.

With all due respect, that is a ridiculous statement!
no sh## sherlock. tell me who is going to be better throwing a 30 yard pass between 2 defenders on the sidelines , the guy w/ the noodle arm and accuracy or the guy w/ arm strength and accuracy?

You make the call
Here's a video from a collection of games in 2010:
[video=youtube;OkPzmE0__7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPzmE0__7A[/video]

Here is a feature on ESPN:
[video=youtube;EOBxUdi3glQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBxUdi3glQ&feature=related[/video]

Here is one more from the combine:
[video=youtube;Jlp5keajRiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlp5keajRiE&feature=related[/video]

Personally, I think, if we are truly going to a WCO, Devlin would thrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you suggesting the packers have been hiding tom brady on the bench for 4 years?

Were the Patriots hiding Brady when he was on the bench for them for 2 years?

1st off I am not saying Flynn is Brady, but like the Patriots, the Packers have no idea what they have on the bench, considering Flynn has yet to start at least 3 games in a season, and finally did you happen to see who is starting for the Packers, very doubtful Flynn will ever start for the Packers other then during injuries, cleanup time, or maybe a game at the end of the season if they have homefield through the playoffs.

I have a question for you: Do you know for a fact that Flynn can or can never be a franchise QB? The Patriots had plenty of time to start Brady over Bledsoe, yet needed to have Bledsoe go down for the season, before they even gave him a shot. It's tough to know what kind of a QB the backup will be, and it's even tougher when the QB starting on your team is one of best today.

no sh## sherlock. tell me who is going to be better throwing a 30 yard pass between 2 defenders on the sidelines , the guy w/ the noodle arm and accuracy or the guy w/ arm strength and accuracy?

So what you are telling us, if you were given a choice, you would take a young healthy Jeff George over a young healthy Pennington. Got it

You make the call
Here's a video from a collection of games in 2010:
[video=youtube;OkPzmE0__7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPzmE0__7A[/video]

Here is a feature on ESPN:
[video=youtube;EOBxUdi3glQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBxUdi3glQ&feature=related[/video]

Here is one more from the combine:
[video=youtube;Jlp5keajRiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlp5keajRiE&feature=related[/video]

Personally, I think, if we are truly going to a WCO, Devlin would thrive.

Thanks DK, awesome videos.

The deep pass video from the combine shows me he doesn't get enough air under the ball for the wr to make the play. That takes more arm strength. Maybe over the last year he's added strength, Brady made huge strides physically in his first few years. But there was something up with Devlin that had everyone pass on him in the draft.

The deep pass video from the combine shows me he doesn't get enough air under the ball for the wr to make the play. That takes more arm strength. Maybe over the last year he's added strength, Brady made huge strides physically in his first few years. But there was something up with Devlin that had everyone pass on him in the draft.

yeah, actually there were 2 things: he went during his last season from being a player several teams including the Pats were keeping their eye on to being undrafted largely due to uncharacteristically coming late to his own Pro Day and having a bad showing during the East West Shrine Game. Otherwise he'd likely have been a mid round pick.

Keep in mind that going UDFA was in essence one round later than Matt Flynn, everyone's popsicle of the month.. surely there was something wrong with him too, right? Damaged goods then translates into damaged goods now, eh?

Actually, some analogies can be drawn to Jeremy Lin, his going undrafted, the conference he excelled and came from, even the alleged smarts. Who's to say that Devln can't end up amounting to our own version of him where the solution turns out to be sitting at the end of the bench?

yeah, actually there were 2 things: he went during his last season from being a player several teams including the Pats were keeping their eye on to being undrafted largely due to uncharacteristically coming late to his own Pro Day and having a bad showing during the East West Shrine Game. Otherwise he'd likely have been a mid round pick.

Keep in mind that going UDFA was in essence one round later than Matt Flynn, everyone's popsicle of the month.. surely there was something wrong with him too, right? Damaged goods then translates into damaged goods now, eh?

Actually, some analogies can be drawn to Jeremy Lin, his going undrafted, the conference he excelled and came from, even the alleged smarts. Who's to say that Devln can't end up amounting to our own version of him where the solution turns out to be sitting at the end of the bench?

Hopefully Manning/Flynn/RGIII/Tannehill with have something to say. If none of them than Moore will.

I can bet you that Chad Henne has a stronger arm than Matt Moore and Matt Flynn.
That said, I would rather have Moore or Flynn.
Decision making, pocket presence, and throwing the right type of ball in a given situation is more important for success than blowing up the receiver on a dump off with a canon shot.

Devlin doesn't have elite physical tools.
IMHO, he made the most of his talent in college. He is lucky to be a practice squad player.

Being late to your pro day doesn't move you down in the draft. Have a flapping piece of roast for an arm does. The key is he didn't have the arm strength. Does he have it now? He's had a year to work out and get stronger. But last year we opted to have Losman backing up Moore, and that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Back
Top Bottom