Is Devlin still on the team?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Devlin still on the team??

i said ,having arm strength will better your accuracy and timing.

no sh## sherlock. tell me who is going to be better throwing a 30 yard pass between 2 defenders on the sidelines , the guy w/ the noodle arm and accuracy or the guy w/ arm strength and accuracy?

Make up your g-damn mind Sherlock. You are painting two totally different scenarios.

Which is it, does Arm Strength= accuracy
or does
Arm Strength+Accuracy=a better passer.......Einstein!!!

EDIT: Wait, I just came accross this Nugget

I can bet you that Chad Henne has a stronger arm than Matt Moore and Matt Flynn.
That said, I would rather have Moore or Flynn.
Decision making, pocket presence, and throwing the right type of ball in a given situation is more important for success than blowing up the receiver on a dump off with a canon shot.

Okay, so Arm Strength<Good QB????

I'm just trying to determine exactly what type of math you are doing, because all three of these posts, all by you in the same thread are all headed completely different directions.

I get it you don't care for Pat Devlin, but Arm Strength is not the argument you want to make against it...or maybe.....

Sorry about the rambling incoherent post. I have a killer sinus head cold. LOL
IMHO, my definition of a strong NFL arm is a player that can throw 60-80 yards. A weak arm is 40-60 yards.
The point I was trying to make was that arm strength is sometimes over rated. Chad Henne has great arm strength. but he sometimes throws to hard making catches more difficult for the receiver. I was using him as an example.
Flynn and Moore throw a better, more well placed ball than Henne. I would rather have the weaker arm if it means more completions. Timing, placement, and trajectory is more important IMHO.
Obviously, having great arm strength is preferred, but used in the right situations.

Regarding Devlin, simply put, he did well in college, but I do not think he will amount to a starting NFL QB.

I'm just trying to determine exactly what type of math you are doing, because all three of these posts, all by you in the same thread are all headed completely different directions.

I get it you don't care for Pat Devlin, but Arm Strength is not the argument you want to make against it...or maybe.....

The point I was trying to make was that arm strength is sometimes over rated. Chad Henne has great arm strength. but he sometimes throws to hard making catches more difficult for the receiver. I was using him as an example.
Flynn and Moore throw a better, more well placed ball than Henne. I would rather have the weaker arm if it means more completions. Timing, placement, and trajectory is more important IMHO.
Regarding Devlin, simply put, he did well in college, but I do not think he will amount to a starting NFL QB.[/QUOTE]

Sorry brother.

I blew it in my previous post, I was thinking that Daytona Fin had all three posts. My apologies to both you and he.

Make up your g-damn mind Sherlock. You are painting two totally different scenarios.

Which is it, does Arm Strength= accuracy
or does
Arm Strength+Accuracy=a better passer.......Einstein!!!

EDIT: Wait, I just came accross this Nugget

im sorry you dont understand english. its not 2 different scenarios and thats not my post.

Regarding Devlin, simply put, he did well in college, but I do not think he will amount to a starting NFL QB.

Sorry brother.

I blew it in my previous post, I was thinking that Daytona Fin had all three posts. My apologies to both you and he.[/QUOTE]

No worries. I have a killer sinus cold. The post was kind of rambling.
Bottom line to me is that Pat Devlin is training camp fodder this year.

I actually liked Devlin a little bit as a developmental prospect, but there's a kid in this draft who I like better by the name of Bo Levi Mitchell. He severely outgunned Pat Devlin in the FCS National Championship Game last year, the final game of Devlin's career... and he did it without a Taiwan Jones and a running game.

Bo Levi Mitchell has legitimate physical tools to develope on your roster. I think he'll be playing in the NFL down the road, I'm not sure about Pat Devlin.

Did he leave SMU because Jones left? I have a concern about his height(6/0.5 - 6/1)and he plays in the spread. I am not saying that you can not make it coming out of the spread, but the track record in the NFL is not great. With that said, I like his athletic ability and mobility. He definitely has an arm. His comment about thinking he most resembles Brees is spot on. The first thing I thought when I watched the video is that he reminded me of Brees.

[video=youtube;W7n0QK_FERs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7n0QK_FERs[/video]

[video=youtube;o1gXphxt1q4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1gXphxt1q4&amp;feature=related[/video]

Here is a video of their 2010 championship:

[video=youtube;qW4ShzTDLF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW4ShzTDLF4&amp;feature=related[/video]

Did he leave SMU because Jones left? I have a concern about his height(6/0.5 - 6/1)and he plays in the spread. I am not saying that you can not make it coming out of the spread, but the track record in the NFL is not great. With that said, I like his athletic ability and mobility. He definitely has an arm. His comment about thinking he most resembles Brees is spot on. The first thing I thought when I watched the video is that he reminded me of Brees.

He left SMU because he felt like he lost his starting job due to injury, rather than poor play. He had already been the starter for a season and a half until he got his shoulder knocked out of socket against Houston I believe it was. He popped his shoulder back into socket himself and tried to go back in the game, the trainers of course would not let him. He ended up losing his job to Kyle Padron and decided to transfer to E. Washington because he wanted to play football for what was left of his final 2 years.

I think he compares himself to Brees not only because of the height and style they play, but also that Brees lost his job in San Diego due to a shoulder injury in a way, and was redeemed elsewhere by winning a championship. Which is the same thing Bo Levi Mitchell accomplished.

Mitchell played in a traditional I-form offense in high school where he set records and went undefeated winning a state title. It was actually an adjustment for him to go play in June Jones spread offense at SMU.

He's certainly an underdog to ever make it in the NFL, which is why he's viewed as a developmental prospect. The difference is that he has a superior arm and ability to spin the football over most developmental prospects, no matter how tall they are. He appears to have a clutch gene in him, which was apparent in the title game vs. Delaware. He also lit up the Washington Huskies defense in the 1st game of the season to the tune of 473 yards and 3 TD's.... playing with scrubs and rejects all around him. For comparison sake, Robert Griffin III faced the same Huskies defense in the bowl game and threw for 295 yards and 1 TD.... with legitimate NFL weapons around him.

The spread system is always something to consider, but you have to consider it for most all these prospects. Most of them are coming out of spread systems.

Mitchell showed very well in my opinion in the NFLPA All Star Game earlier in January. Bo Levi Mitchell and B.J. Coleman are two of the developmental quarterbacks that started their careers at the D-1 level and finished at the FCS level that I think have legitimate tools to develope.

They're not guaranteed anything, nobody is. But at least they have the physical talent to potentially stick on an NFL roster. A few of these more popular QB prospects don't.

Back
Top Bottom