Is Tony getting any consideration for COY?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mfish41, Dec 15, 2009.

1. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

This is hypothetical, but if we make the playoffs wouldn't Tony need to be a front runner for COY? Loses his starting QB,NT,CB,RB,OLB, and patrick cobbs for the season. Throw in if we win the division again with the league's toughest schedule and Media Slurpfest Tom Bunchen back. He would have to win don't you think?

2. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Jim Caldwell will probably win it, but I'm rooting for Tony.

3. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Not sure how Caldwell can't win it, but Tony should at least be in the conversation.

4. ghostface95

ghostface95 Starter

Whooptie damn doo that Caldwell is undefeated with Dungy's players.

Sparano "rallied the troops" from a dysmal and embarrassing 1-15 season prior to him being hired as HC. He implements his own philosophy into a team experiencing rebuilding mode in which he stresses patience and within the third year of the rebuild we'll be competitive.

The learning curve was accelerated IN YEAR ONE by going 11-5 and winning the AFC East division. Now in year 2 having experiencing the most unfortunate of circumstances being bitten by the injury bug we're still competing with the NFL's toughest schedule ( a lose-lose situation I'm sure the media proclaimed). With all that said we're only 1 game out of first with 3 games to go in the regular season.

Since Tony Shades got hosed in winning the award last year when he rightfully should have it isn't even discussion worthy HE BETTER WIN IT THIS YEAR!!!

5. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

This. The Colts go 12-0, 13-0 every year it seems. There's nothing impressive about the Colts doing it yet again. If Sparano wins out and makes the playoffs, I really see no way he can't win it after being snubbed last year.

6. emeraldfin

emeraldfin Gary Speed RIP Donator

Would say Payton is more deserving than Caldwell considering that Saints team was 8-8 last year.

Lewis of the Bengels also deserves a mention, but I dont think Sparano will get a consideration.

7. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

The fact that they do it every year is even MORE impressive. Are you kidding me? Manning is just amazing and he deserves every good thing that comes his way. His is a true professional in every way.

Now as far as COY...ya I think Sparano > Caldwell

8. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

too many other candidates this year... Caldwell, Payton, Lewis, Childress... it would be tough for Tony though if we made the playoffs winning out our final 5 games im sure he'd get some consideration

9. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Those are the top 4 candidates and IMO in voters minds, those are the only 4 that are REALLY gonna get consideration.

U can also say that McDaniels and Norv Turner are probably going to get more votes.

In my opinion, Lewis probably has done the best job. That Bengals team was horrid last year, and he has done wonders with the defense.

10. AquaInferno

AquaInferno Pro Bowler Donator

Who cares, awards don't compare to winning games, I don't care who gets the stupid trophy, the only thing I wanna hang on my wall is Miami Dolphins Superbowl champs t-shirts, free with the purchase of a Sports Illustrated recap DVD!

11. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Caldwell has the easiest coaching job in the league... With Manning as a QB, who needs a head coach-for the offense at least.

12. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Wouldnt say Caldwell is as much a lock as Sean Payton or even Marvin Lewis. While Tony will get overlooked again, if he can somehow get our team 10-6 or 9-7 it will be nothing short of brilliance.

Last year, he lost partially because of the stigma that this is "Parcells team". It seems he will be underappreciated for the job he's done for quite awhile, yet i seriously doubt that bothers him in the least. He seems more concerned with winning football games then gaining credit, which i completely approve of.

13. bwb8605

bwb8605 Scout Team

Peyton Manning should win CotY. We all know 13-0 has been so much more about him and his leadership than Caldwell's.

14. phinfreak

phinfreak Banned Hammered

Tony will be considered but he wont win. A great case can be made for the guy in Tennessee actually. What a turnaround. Fins have regressed a bit.

15. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

:lol:
    I sense a WV attack in 3, 2, 1 ...

16. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 The Finheaven Intimidator

So Phil Jackson had the easiest coaching job in the league with Michael Jordan? Kobe? Shaq? Gasol?

Pompovich with Duncan and Robinson?

You're just one of those types of people who look at brand rather than substance.

17. bryan

bryan Scout Team

Going from 11-5 to 7-6 does not deserve COY. Yes, we have had injuries, but Henne should be playing instead of Pennington. The only real injury anyone is going to take into account is Ronnie. Ferg is really old.....and Cobbs is a third down back whose play is not measured in stats.

Then you look at losing a 24-3 lead to the Saints and blowing a 45 minute time of possession in the Colts game. Toss in some questionable game management decisions and horrible 4th quarter play.

The only teams we have beat with winning records are a split with the Pats, a Jets sweep (Woot!) and the Jax game where we almost let a dominating performance turn into a loss. The Jets and Jax both will probably not end up over .500.

I like Sparano but this is not coach of the year stuff.

18. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

I know some crap on Sparano and this coaching staff at times...but its hard to argue the difference they've made the past two seasons. Its hard NOT to give them a ton of credit. For one...people say coaches win because they have tons of talent. Well, you can't say that here because while we have some young talent...we are also lacking it in key positions. That in itself should tell you how solid of a coach sparano is.

Like someone else said...he rallied the troops from an 0-3 hole to have us right in the hunt.

19. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

I don't think he will win it...but I think you're seriously discrediting what he means to this football team. Also, many will argue that he did a BETTER coaching job this year even if they win less games. You can't just look at number of wins as a measure of who should win coach of the year. In fact, thats a terrible way to judge it.

20. bryan

bryan Scout Team

I don't judge it that way nor am I discrediting what he means to the team. But the way COY is decided is based in large part on the team record and/or turn around from the previous season. As Parcells would say, "You are what your record says you are."

Personally, I think the biggest accomplishment this team has made is being in contention to win virtually every game regardless of who we are playing. I fell like we can play with anyone and that is encouraging. And this is with a lot of young players getting significant time.....Davis, Smith, Henne, Thomas, Long, Clemmons, etc.

21. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Not even a chance IMO. The media likes ESPN caliber stories (i.e. Colts/Saints) so Caldwell or Payton will be the frontrunners.

22. Akronfinfan36

Akronfinfan36 Please win another title before I die

Well, if he is, he shouldn't be!! He should be fired immediately....at least according to the vast number of front-office wannabe genuises on this forum.:crazy:

23. Desides

Desides Perennial All-Pro

I've said this for years about Mike Tomlin winning with Bill Cowher's roster and got shouted down for it. Doesn't stop people from ranking him as the second or third best active coach in the NFL.

On the other hand, Caldwell has the Colts playing arguably better than they have under Tony Dungy, especially the defense. That said, I don't think Caldwell should be given any honors for winning with a team that's posted at least 12 wins a season for nearly the entire decade.

Really, the frontrunner should probably be Sean Payton, as the Saints have dramatically improved from where they were a year ago. Sparano deserves some votes for rallying the team despite losing so many key players to injury, but ultimately I think the specter of 16-0 will trump anything Sparano has done, short of making the AFC Championship Game. The CotY voters are more concerned with sexy headlines and big numbers than anything else.

24. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

This is the ultimate homer thread.:rolleyes2:

There are still 2 undeafeted teams & one of them has a rookie head coach.

WVDolphan likes this.
  25. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Indy coaches should never get COY when they win 12+ games a year and have 1 Superbowl win. This team should have atleast 3 Superbowl wins and because of coaching and a lack of dedication to fixing the defense they don't.

Payton and Lewis (leaning towards Lewis) should be the run away candidites for COY. Childress had a championship calibre team last year and if not for Farve he'd be looking for a job right now.

If Tennessee runs the table then what Fisher has done to turn around that season is purely amazing!

I love TS as our headcoach but we went 11-5 last year, why would you consider him COY this year? Because of injuries? Every team has major injuries and you could argue we maybe better off with Henne then Pennington.

1. M.Lewis
    2. S.Payton (if they go undefeated then he goes #1)
    3. J.Caldwell
    4. J.Fisher

26. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Actually, I believe if Cincy wins out, Lewis is going to win COTY.

27. mfish41

Tony lost his starting backfield, one was an nfl mvp runner up, the other orchestrated the wildcat to an efficiency no one else in the league even came close to. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course henne looks good, but pennington was tony's starting qb. Ferguson was our starting nose and a highly respected player in the locker room. Roth was coming off a breakout year. Will Allen was a starter and also respected throughout the league going into the season. i'll give you cobbs, but tony gushed about him in interviews and i don't think anyone outside of the fanbase and the team knew how much he meant to the team. tony lost a little over 1/5 of his starting lineup from an 11-5 division winning team and is playing the toughest schedule in the nfl. If he repeats as division champion how can he not get consideration? Do you think Payton and Caldwell could do the same if they lost their best players on offense?

It's a shame he didn't beat two teams no one else has found a way to beat either.

28. mfish41

rookie head coach with the best qb this decade.

29. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Just this decade?

30. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

The difference is those coaches won multiple championships with those great players, Indy has one...no excuse for that.

We have a 4 out of 17 highschools in my area that always have better talent then everyone else but only 1 of those schools knows how to use that talent and has a record of 19 straight championship appearences winning 13 of them.

Coaching talent to win the championships they should win (and some you shouldn`t) is tough, coaching and just winning games because you are more talented then your opponents anyone can do at any level.

Our University here has one of the best HS programs to choose players from and would win a championship here or there for 20 years or so. We got a new head coach 4 years ago and have been to two championships and 4 semi finals nationally.

These are smaller scale examples but coaching is alot important then most give credit for.

31. bryan

bryan Scout Team

What Pennington did last year has little to do with COY for 2009. Fact is Penny was 0-3 as the starter in 2009 and Henne had over a year to sit on the bench and get ready.

Ronnie is great at running the Wildcat....no doubt about that.....but as great as he was his yards/per carry is 4.4 in 2009. Ricky had the higher average when Ronnie got hurt and is sitting at 4.9 right now according to NFL.com stats. Pretty hard to argue we lost much on our rushing attack.

We drafted Henne to replace Pennington.....and Henne has played at a comparable level to where Pennington was playing.

Ferg was splitting time with Solai through much of the year. I have seen no drop-of in our rushing defense. In fact, I think Solai has played just as well as Ferg was earlier in the year. Roth is so good he was released. I think losing Will Allen is right up there with Ronnie as the two big injuries for 2009.

We won the division last year by playing a relatively easy schedule, with very few injuries, and some key injuries to other teams in the AFC East didn't hurt.

Once again, we have not won those tough games on our schedule this year. That is why we are sitting one game over .500.

I think the Colts have certainly had some injuries to deal with. Losing Bob Sanders, Marlin Jackson and Anthony Gonzalez off the top of my head. I know the Saints lost Jamal Brown and some others.

The shame is not in losing to the Colts and Saints. It is how we lost. COY candidates do not blow 24-3 leads and dominate teams with 45 minutes of possession only to lose the games.

32. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

We drafted Henne months before Pennington was even released from the Jets.

As well, Ronnie Brown had much more to do with our offense then the numbers indicate. Watch a game, and see Ricky absolutely drained by the 3rd quarter.

Not going to disagree with the Roth stuff, he did not play worth a damn after he was reinstated from a "injury" or "illness" he lied about. Ill disagree with Ferg not being that big of deal, and while Solai did well against the Jags iffy line, his biggest test comes this week against the Titans offensive line. Will Allens injury was a big deal, but Vontae has more then stepped up, he might miss a play from time to time but he has show great potential and play making ability.

Bob Sanders is always out(he's never played a full season), which could very well lead to his release. Marlin Jackson might have been an upset, but Gonzalez was not as disruptive as we've had, even losing Gonzalez doesnt account for the 2 former first round running backs/1 other former first round receiver(one of the best wideouts in the league)/and former first round tight end they have still on the roster....i think Manning has been fine(and those are only the former 1st round picks).

We played the Colts and Saints to the wire, we held the knife against their throat. The fact that we were 1-15 not 2 years ago and accomplished that is testimate to the time and effort that Sparano puts into this team.

When we played the Bills during week 4 we were 0-3, they were 1-2.
    When we played the Jets during week 5 we were 1-3, they were 3-1. .
    When we played the Jets during week 8, we were 2-4, they were 4-2.
    When we played the Bucs during week 10, we were 3-5, they were 1-7.
    When we played the Panthers during week 11, we were 4-5, they were 4-5.
    When we played the Patriots during week 13, we were 5-6, they were 7-4.
    When we played the Jags during week 14, we were 6-6, they were 7-5.

Outside of the Colts and Saints-the only two UNDEFEATED teams in the league(and we did hold them closer the anyone save for the patriots/colts game), it seems your logic is flawed that we havent won the tough games(yes, the Chargers and Falcons did win their games, dont act like we got games handed to us the rest of the season). And outside of Buffalo/Jags, all those teams had winning records the season before. As well, only the bucs has a worse record then we did the week we played them.

33. Fritz27

Fritz27 Seasoned Veteran

Tony doesn't deserve it simply because he used that damned time out at the end of the first half in the Saints game.

34. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Yeah, no ****.

Peyton is one of the best of ALL TIME.

If he wins the super bowl this year, he, at least in my book, is the BEST to ever play the game.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

35. frostyphin84

frostyphin84 phintime

alot of good points made in this thread,

to accurately derive the coy from this thread you've atleast condense those points to one reply

team: coach's impact

cinci- a deprived team last year; with a porous defense- lost their #1 receiver, had an 11-4-1 record last year 9-4 as of now.

denver- rookie coach to a new team, departure of their franchise qb, revamped defense, addition of several high level draft picks, qualming of disgruntled elite wr (whose gone on to a record setting year.) 8-8 last year 8-5 as of now

indy- lost 2 players who were expected to be key contributors, new/rookie coach- other key leadership changes. 12-4 record last year 13-0 as of now

miami- lost several key players 3 of which were key contributors. one of which being starting qb another being starting rb, playing in what was recorded as leagues toughest scheduale. 11-5 last year, 7-6 as of now.

New orleans- no vast changes in personel, but a much advanced progession of a coaches plan, last year 8-8 record, 13-0 as of now.

now i know these are condenced versions, but you get the drift. as of now no coy can be concieved without seeing how these teams finish.

if denver finishes with 10-6 then you could make an arguement for a vastly improved team given their loses.

cinci needs to finish atleast with an equal record as last year to be concidered as they didnt lose that much/ had that much to overcome.

Indy is a tough call- perenial winners but huge management changes- can you really fault the coach for sticking with a winning equation of having manning do what he does, if they win out you've got to give him much respect for doing what no coach has done since 1972, it is a big deal.

miami- several key losses, but cannot finish better than where he left off last year. the losses do give way to a game or two leeway- if they make it into the playoffs- if they do make it to the playoffs then you do have to give much attention to the fact that they've replaced much personal at many key positions.

new orleans- No real road blocks to overcome, but to go from 8-8 to 13-0 is an amazing feat, regardless of level of competition. if they win out its the same evalution as indy.

as of right now if everyone wins out NO takes the lead, as they made the most improvement with no other reason- other than coaching. For the detratcors you entitled to your opinion, but keep this in mind- yes miami has made huge strides, but new orleans arent perrenial winners either. so what they are doing is mainly because of coaching and front office as well...