Is Tony getting any consideration for COY? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tony getting any consideration for COY?

Caldwell has the easiest coaching job in the league... With Manning as a QB, who needs a head coach-for the offense at least.

So Phil Jackson had the easiest coaching job in the league with Michael Jordan? Kobe? Shaq? Gasol?

Pompovich with Duncan and Robinson?

You're just one of those types of people who look at brand rather than substance.

Going from 11-5 to 7-6 does not deserve COY. Yes, we have had injuries, but Henne should be playing instead of Pennington. The only real injury anyone is going to take into account is Ronnie. Ferg is really old.....and Cobbs is a third down back whose play is not measured in stats.

Then you look at losing a 24-3 lead to the Saints and blowing a 45 minute time of possession in the Colts game. Toss in some questionable game management decisions and horrible 4th quarter play.

The only teams we have beat with winning records are a split with the Pats, a Jets sweep (Woot!) and the Jax game where we almost let a dominating performance turn into a loss. The Jets and Jax both will probably not end up over .500.

I like Sparano but this is not coach of the year stuff.

I know some crap on Sparano and this coaching staff at times...but its hard to argue the difference they've made the past two seasons. Its hard NOT to give them a ton of credit. For one...people say coaches win because they have tons of talent. Well, you can't say that here because while we have some young talent...we are also lacking it in key positions. That in itself should tell you how solid of a coach sparano is.

Like someone else said...he rallied the troops from an 0-3 hole to have us right in the hunt.

Going from 11-5 to 7-6 does not deserve COY. Yes, we have had injuries, but Henne should be playing instead of Pennington. The only real injury anyone is going to take into account is Ronnie. Ferg is really old.....and Cobbs is a third down back whose play is not measured in stats.

Then you look at losing a 24-3 lead to the Saints and blowing a 45 minute time of possession in the Colts game. Toss in some questionable game management decisions and horrible 4th quarter play.

The only teams we have beat with winning records are a split with the Pats, a Jets sweep (Woot!) and the Jax game where we almost let a dominating performance turn into a loss. The Jets and Jax both will probably not end up over .500.

I don't think he will win it...but I think you're seriously discrediting what he means to this football team. Also, many will argue that he did a BETTER coaching job this year even if they win less games. You can't just look at number of wins as a measure of who should win coach of the year. In fact, thats a terrible way to judge it.

I don't think he will win it...but I think you're seriously discrediting what he means to this football team. Also, many will argue that he did a BETTER coaching job this year even if they win less games. You can't just look at number of wins as a measure of who should win coach of the year. In fact, thats a terrible way to judge it.

I don't judge it that way nor am I discrediting what he means to the team. But the way COY is decided is based in large part on the team record and/or turn around from the previous season. As Parcells would say, "You are what your record says you are."

Personally, I think the biggest accomplishment this team has made is being in contention to win virtually every game regardless of who we are playing. I fell like we can play with anyone and that is encouraging. And this is with a lot of young players getting significant time.....Davis, Smith, Henne, Thomas, Long, Clemmons, etc.

Not even a chance IMO. The media likes ESPN caliber stories (i.e. Colts/Saints) so Caldwell or Payton will be the frontrunners.

Well, if he is, he shouldn't be!! He should be fired immediately....at least according to the vast number of front-office wannabe genuises on this forum.:crazy:

Whooptie damn doo that Caldwell is undefeated with Dungy's players.

I've said this for years about Mike Tomlin winning with Bill Cowher's roster and got shouted down for it. Doesn't stop people from ranking him as the second or third best active coach in the NFL.

On the other hand, Caldwell has the Colts playing arguably better than they have under Tony Dungy, especially the defense. That said, I don't think Caldwell should be given any honors for winning with a team that's posted at least 12 wins a season for nearly the entire decade.

Really, the frontrunner should probably be Sean Payton, as the Saints have dramatically improved from where they were a year ago. Sparano deserves some votes for rallying the team despite losing so many key players to injury, but ultimately I think the specter of 16-0 will trump anything Sparano has done, short of making the AFC Championship Game. The CotY voters are more concerned with sexy headlines and big numbers than anything else.

This is the ultimate homer thread.:rolleyes2:

There are still 2 undeafeted teams & one of them has a rookie head coach.

Indy coaches should never get COY when they win 12+ games a year and have 1 Superbowl win. This team should have atleast 3 Superbowl wins and because of coaching and a lack of dedication to fixing the defense they don't.

Payton and Lewis (leaning towards Lewis) should be the run away candidites for COY. Childress had a championship calibre team last year and if not for Farve he'd be looking for a job right now.

If Tennessee runs the table then what Fisher has done to turn around that season is purely amazing!

I love TS as our headcoach but we went 11-5 last year, why would you consider him COY this year? Because of injuries? Every team has major injuries and you could argue we maybe better off with Henne then Pennington.

1. M.Lewis
2. S.Payton (if they go undefeated then he goes #1)
3. J.Caldwell
4. J.Fisher

Actually, I believe if Cincy wins out, Lewis is going to win COTY.

Tony lost his starting backfield, one was an nfl mvp runner up, the other orchestrated the wildcat to an efficiency no one else in the league even came close to. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course henne looks good, but pennington was tony's starting qb. Ferguson was our starting nose and a highly respected player in the locker room. Roth was coming off a breakout year. Will Allen was a starter and also respected throughout the league going into the season. i'll give you cobbs, but tony gushed about him in interviews and i don't think anyone outside of the fanbase and the team knew how much he meant to the team. tony lost a little over 1/5 of his starting lineup from an 11-5 division winning team and is playing the toughest schedule in the nfl. If he repeats as division champion how can he not get consideration? Do you think Payton and Caldwell could do the same if they lost their best players on offense?

It's a shame he didn't beat two teams no one else has found a way to beat either.

So Phil Jackson had the easiest coaching job in the league with Michael Jordan? Kobe? Shaq? Gasol?

Pompovich with Duncan and Robinson?

You're just one of those types of people who look at brand rather than substance.

The difference is those coaches won multiple championships with those great players, Indy has one...no excuse for that.

We have a 4 out of 17 highschools in my area that always have better talent then everyone else but only 1 of those schools knows how to use that talent and has a record of 19 straight championship appearences winning 13 of them.

Coaching talent to win the championships they should win (and some you shouldn`t) is tough, coaching and just winning games because you are more talented then your opponents anyone can do at any level.

Our University here has one of the best HS programs to choose players from and would win a championship here or there for 20 years or so. We got a new head coach 4 years ago and have been to two championships and 4 semi finals nationally.

These are smaller scale examples but coaching is alot important then most give credit for.

Back
Top Bottom