Is Tua Better than Any Quarterback Prospect Since Luck? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tua Better than Any Quarterback Prospect Since Luck?

Daniel Jones arm looked limited at the senior bowl. He had to hitch 3 times to get the mustard to throw it deep. Can’t remember if he was taking short sets even. Not sure what the giants are doing offense wise to offset.

Really only issue I had with him. Arm strength development in the pros.

Last edited:
Just to offset this arm stuff with tua you got baker throwing ropes all over the place with serious velocity yet he can’t read coverage the first 3 weeks and is making a lot of misreads resulting in holding the ball etc.

Right now it looks like one read and then go to improv mode when that read isn’t there or he reads it wrong. Heavy rpo but when chasing the sticks pocket read warts show up.

Just something I think is limiting that Cleveland o more than just the o tackle play.

His reads have to pick up. Is tua gonna be more proficient at the reads side of things?

Just to offset this arm stuff with tua you got baker throwing ropes all over the place with serious velocity yet he can’t read coverage the first 3 weeks and is making a lot of misreads resulting in holding the ball etc.

Right now it looks like one read and then go to improv mode when that read isn’t there or he reads it wrong. Heavy rpo but when chasing the sticks pocket read warts show up.

Just something I think is limiting that Cleveland o more than just the o tackle play.

His reads have to pick up. Is tua gonna be more proficient at the reads side of things?

I can answer that for you. Yes.

I can answer that for you. Yes.

I think that’s the one biggest hole in his game right now is the pre to post snap reads. But I also think that it’s just a matter of experience before that becomes an afterthought.

I think that’s the one biggest hole in his game right now is the pre to post snap reads. But I also think that it’s just a matter of experience before that becomes an afterthought.

It's not glaring though. He has shown at times to really have the ability to scan, decipher, and know exactly where to go

Disguising coverages and showing something entirely different post snap is how you have to defend the most elite and accurate QB's. It's how Belichick played Peyton Manning. It's the only way to play Tua. Clemson and Georgia were the only teams with the coaches and talent to really do it with any success - and playing him top down.

However, Tua realizes this. He's not looking for the homerun on every play now. If it's not there, he's checking it down. You can put a check mark in that box in terms of the things required as he continues to further his development.

By the way - there's still a thing or two that Bama hasn't shown offensively yet.

Disguising coverages and showing something entirely different post snap is how you have to defend the most elite and accurate QB's. It's how Belichick played Peyton Manning. It's the only way to play Tua. Clemson and Georgia were the only teams with the coaches and talent to really do it with any success - and playing him top down.

However, Tua realizes this. He's not looking for the homerun on every play now. If it's not there, he's checking it down. You can put a check mark in that box in terms of the things required as he continues to further his development.

By the way - there's still a thing or two that Bama hasn't shown offensively yet.

Yeah, I've seen that. I love that he wants the homerun, but super happy to see him checking it down if its not there. He goes top to bottom, if the big play isn't there he will at least make it more manageable every time on the next down.

What does this even mean?

Elway never even led Stanford to a bowl game.

Give me a break. You might get away with that if I'm not here. You can't come close to getting away with that if I'm here.

That was my era. I was there. I saw Elway play in person in football and basketball multiple times. UCLA played in the Coliseum until 1982 so I attended a Stanford/UCLA game in the Coliseum along with every game Elway faced USC...home or road.

Those were outmanned Stanford teams. The play design was destroyed time and again with Elway forced to circle backward and improvise. The remarkable throws he managed during those plays became part of his legend, including one versus USC at Palo Alto late in the 1980 season.

How many college quarterbacks have defeated both Oklahoma and Ohio State on the road? John Elway accomplished that, and as double digit underdog in both games. Switzer threw up his arms in resignation. It was a miserable wet day that stymied his lateral offense. Meanwhile John Elway stood back there and picked the #4 Sooner apart. It wasn't even a close game. Stanford covered the spread in reverse.

Both Ohio State games were tight. Elway faced them home and road. That era featured a ton of great intersectional games, as you'll remember. Ohio State won the meeting at Palo Alto but Elway had another legendary deep throw to pull out the game in Columbus. Those weren't awesome Buckeyes teams but roughly in the 10th ranked range. Certainly far above Stanford, which was always mid level Pac 10 during those years.

The bowl eligibility standards were different in those days. That's why it's unfair to assert he never led them to a bowl. Younger fans are going to look at it under current scope, and not early '80s with less than half as many bowls.

Stanford's 6-5 in 1980 would have been perfectly fine to qualify for a bowl today. That 1980 team was Stanford's best team under Elway but it fell apart late in the season due to injuries and lack of depth. I distinctly remember that being the theme when we traveled up to that game as the annual Bay Area Weekender. USC alternates playing Cal or Stanford on the road each year. It is a huge party. Seemingly half the USC student body makes the trip, mostly to get drunk on Friday night at Union Square. Nobody was scared of Stanford that season because their team already falling apart physically, even though they had routed a miserable Oregon State team the prior week.

Besides, that 1980 game at Stanford was payback for the devastating 21-21 tie at the Coliseum a year earlier, a game that ruined USC's title hopes. Nobody stopped talking about that game during my remaining years at USC. It was easily the most shocking and inexplicable result, with the greatest consequences. Elway was a freshman but he split time with senior Turk Schonert. It was Schonert who led the Cardinal rally to the 21-21 tie.

I still can't believe that result, even after 40 years. It was homecoming. USC was #1 ranked and 22 point favorite. Nobody was worried at all. It got to 21-0 in a hurry. Then every conceivable mistake. Both teams blew winning field goal opportunities in the final minute.

As I'm sure you remember, that result opened the door for Alabama. They rose to #1 and eventually won the national title, actually aided by USC's late 1-point Rose Bowl win over then-#1 Ohio State.

Give me a break. You might get away with that if I'm not here. You can't come close to getting away with that if I'm here.

That was my era. I was there. I saw Elway play in person in football and basketball multiple times. UCLA played in the Coliseum until 1982 so I attended a Stanford/UCLA game in the Coliseum along with every game Elway faced USC...home or road.

Those were outmanned Stanford teams. The play design was destroyed time and again with Elway forced to circle backward and improvise. The remarkable throws he managed during those plays became part of his legend, including one versus USC at Palo Alto late in the 1980 season.

How many college quarterbacks have defeated both Oklahoma and Ohio State on the road? John Elway accomplished that, and as double digit underdog in both games. Switzer threw up his arms in resignation. It was a miserable wet day that stymied his lateral offense. Meanwhile John Elway stood back there and picked the #4 Sooner apart. It wasn't even a close game. Stanford covered the spread in reverse.

Both Ohio State games were tight. Elway faced them home and road. That era featured a ton of great intersectional games, as you'll remember. Ohio State won the meeting at Palo Alto but Elway had another legendary deep throw to pull out the game in Columbus. Those weren't awesome Buckeyes teams but roughly in the 10th ranked range. Certainly far above Stanford, which was always mid level Pac 10 during those years.

The bowl eligibility standards were different in those days. That's why it's unfair to assert he never led them to a bowl. Younger fans are going to look at it under current scope, and not early '80s with less than half as many bowls.

Stanford's 6-5 in 1980 would have been perfectly fine to qualify for a bowl today. That 1980 team was Stanford's best team under Elway but it fell apart late in the season due to injuries and lack of depth. I distinctly remember that being the theme when we traveled up to that game as the annual Bay Area Weekender. USC alternates playing Cal or Stanford on the road each year. It is a huge party. Seemingly half the USC student body makes the trip, mostly to get drunk on Friday night at Union Square. Nobody was scared of Stanford that season because their team already falling apart physically, even though they had routed a miserable Oregon State team the prior week.

Besides, that 1980 game at Stanford was payback for the devastating 21-21 tie at the Coliseum a year earlier, a game that ruined USC's title hopes. Nobody stopped talking about that game during my remaining years at USC. It was easily the most shocking and inexplicable result, with the greatest consequences. Elway was a freshman but he split time with senior Turk Schonert. It was Schonert who led the Cardinal rally to the 21-21 tie.

I still can't believe that result, even after 40 years. It was homecoming. USC was #1 ranked and 22 point favorite. Nobody was worried at all. It got to 21-0 in a hurry. Then every conceivable mistake. Both teams blew winning field goal opportunities in the final minute.

As I'm sure you remember, that result opened the door for Alabama. They rose to #1 and eventually won the national title, actually aided by USC's late 1-point Rose Bowl win over then-#1 Ohio State.

All that just to reiterate that Elway never led Stanford to a bowl game. You're making my point.

Try to stick around if you can - make sure I don't get away with anything.

BTW, I love all this new Daniel Jones stuff. So pathetic. Everybody in personnel evaluation is so petrified to be wrong.

All of those Daniel Jones comments are supposed to be here before the fact. Not now. If they are here now it merely makes you look worse than if you said nothing...or took the other side.

I saw Daniel Jones in person 3 times against the Canes. I never thought I was looking at an NFL player. I hated him as a prospect and would have given up as a Dolphins fan if we had drafted him. I was incredibly nervous prior to our pick because I wanted no part of Daniel Jones. That's why it was such exhilaration when the Giants grabbed him.

There is no question Daniel Jones can run. We'll see where that takes him.

The only time he looked like a promising NFL prospect was the bowl game against Temple. But that Temple team was coached by an interim coach who led a dreadful performance in the same interim role against Wake Forest 2 years earlier, with Temple losing as double digit favorite. That interim coach is why I bet on Duke in that bowl game, and didn't Daniel Jones full credit for the lopsided victory.

If I'm wrong...that's fine. My golf ball tells me I'm wrong all the time. Likewise the foiled wagers. It is so relaxing not to have to rationalize every past decision as actually being correct, even when you weren't.

BTW, I also liked Johnny Manziel.

Horrors.

BTW, I love all this new Daniel Jones stuff. So pathetic. Everybody in personnel evaluation is so petrified to be wrong.

All of those Daniel Jones comments are supposed to be here before the fact. Not now. If they are here now it merely makes you look worse than if you said nothing...or took the other side.

Oh hello page 10....

Even I didn't like Daniel Jones #6 overall. But to say the kid wasn't an NFL prospect was simply foolish. Probably didn't meet the criteria of some stat thumper chart or something somewhere...

As far as the arm strength subject goes there’s a play at :45 seconds that makes you think that he’s always taking something off his other passes just to make them catchable.

Check out the distance and trajectory..thing looks like it came out of Marino’s hand..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom