Is Wannstedt finally seeing the light? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Wannstedt finally seeing the light?

Noodle Arm

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I was watching Sports Xtra and they were showing Wanny talking to the press after camp today. A reporter asked if he's considering changing the offensive gameplan since Ricky bailed. What he said surprised me....he basically said he'll do whats necessary to win, if that means more passing so be it. They're going to take it game to game, if they have a better chance of winning the game by passing then they'll do it. (I'm paraphrasing here..trying to decode "Wanny Speak" isn't an easy task :tongue: )

People have been bashing Dave lately for being too stubborn to change the offense, but after what he said today...maybe there's hope after all. :)

I am gonna assume this was written as sarcasm. If so your right, Wanny will never see the light. A leopard can't change its spots. Wanny does not have the ability to change and never will.
But his is the good news. This will be the last year we have to put up with him.

Wanny may have to. Marc Trestman is said to be making up a new hybird offense with the new OC ( who ever it is now:lol: ) and if Wanny wants to keep his job he needs to do what ever it will to win. If he stays on his subborn ways and only runs the ball, I think you could see Wanny replaced with Marc.

Actually I wasn't being sarcastic about Wannstedt's comments...he really did say that. Of course it can just be all talk and no action. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

i think we all knew that he was going to make adjustments to the offense now that his #1 offensive producer left. at least thats the way i felt. the guy has his job on the line. and w/ 2 unsuccessfull head coaching jobs (chicago and miami) its not like people will be banging his door down w/ offers. no one in that organization wants to win more than he does..... loosely speaking.

maybe the dolphins will develop a more intermediate passing game w/ a new OC and utilize the backs for recivers more often. i think konrad has some of the best hands of a fullback (just my opinion). but like everything, only time will tell.

something to keep in mind: wand. is still fighting off the media from the whole ricky williams thing and now all the negative press the team is getting. many of the things he will be saying to the media will be very "p.c." and conservative. im sure his offensive staff is still working on a new strategy for this year and re-evaluating the talent on the team. i would wait till season opener v tenn to see what wandstat is thinking.

Noodle Arm said:
Actually I wasn't being sarcastic about Wannstedt's comments...he really did say that. Of course it can just be all talk and no action. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Its been the same thing year after year and wanny has said every year that he was gonna pass more and we all got excited especially when they brought in guys like darrius thompson(who completely flopped), and then we were all disappointed come week 2. Nothing will change this year or next year unless Wanny is gone.

Phinatic said:
Its been the same thing year after year and wanny has said every year that he was gonna pass more and we all got excited especially when they brought in guys like darrius thompson(who completely flopped), and then we were all disappointed come week 2. Nothing will change this year or next year unless Wanny is gone.
Wannstedt is one of those stubborn coaches that has to run his system and doesn't conform to the talent he has. No matter what ill effects it has on the team. ... but, Dude i what a new coach as much as anyone on this site, but putting in a new coach almost always guarantees a worse record the next season(exceptions John Fox and Bill Parcells). Changing a team mindset takes time and knowing Dolphin fans if we have a bad record they'll want that coaches head.

WCUgodsmacked13 said:
Wannstedt is one of those stubborn coaches that has to run his system and doesn't conform to the talent he has. No matter what ill effects it has on the team. ... but, Dude i what a new coach as much as anyone on this site, but putting in a new coach almost always guarantees a worse record the next season(exceptions John Fox and Bill Parcells). Changing a team mindset takes time and knowing Dolphin fans if we have a bad record they'll want that coaches head.
I'm not so sure about that. We had a pretty even transition from Shula to Jimmy Johnson to Dave Wannstedt. It wasn't until we signed "unmentionable name" that we didn't make the playoffs. I think this team just relied on him a bit too much. Heck the number of carries over 2 seasons, setting an NFL record should put the bullet in that point.

Noodle Arm said:
I was watching Sports Xtra and they were showing Wanny talking to the press after camp today. A reporter asked if he's considering changing the offensive gameplan since Ricky bailed. What he said surprised me....he basically said he'll do whats necessary to win, if that means more passing so be it. They're going to take it game to game, if they have a better chance of winning the game by passing then they'll do it. (I'm paraphrasing here..trying to decode "Wanny Speak" isn't an easy task :tongue: )

People have been bashing Dave lately for being too stubborn to change the offense, but after what he said today...maybe there's hope after all. :)
Bear in mind Dave has become notorius for saying one thing and doing the exact opposite......I.E. After the 2002 season stating Offensive upgrades were the priority and proceeding to go out and sign nearly all defense.

My feeling is that While even Dave might realize what needs to be done he has a disconnect that kicks in when the time comes to actually do it and falls back into what he is comfortable with.

as much as i dislike wanny, hes not THAT ****ing stupid. there is a reason why he is head coach and none of us are. we have mcmichael, chambers, boston, konrad, and a kid who can throw the deep ball....and you think wanny is going to stick with the run if we have no talent their or if minor cant handle the load? thats a ****ing joke. he knows he has to pass more now that our running game is depleted, trust me, he knows more than anyone here

ps:dont mix this defending him vs stupid arguements as me liking him...i dont, i think he smells ugly :)

NCFINFAN38 said:
I am gonna assume this was written as sarcasm. If so your right, Wanny will never see the light. A leopard can't change its spots. Wanny does not have the ability to change and never will.
But his is the good news. This will be the last year we have to put up with him.

Just like you right? :shakeno:

Atila said:
as much as i dislike wanny, hes not THAT ****ing stupid. there is a reason why he is head coach and none of us are. we have mcmichael, chambers, boston, konrad, and a kid who can throw the deep ball....and you think wanny is going to stick with the run if we have no talent their or if minor cant handle the load? thats a ****ing joke. he knows he has to pass more now that our running game is depleted, trust me, he knows more than anyone here

ps:dont mix this defending him vs stupid arguements as me liking him...i dont, i think he smells ugly :)
You'll have to forgive me If I don't trust you, Dave has a track record of being stubborn and extemely conservative, on top of that we have comments from the front office now saying they are staying with Dave's philosophy.

Your premise that someone cannot become a head coach unless they know what they are doing or that they make all the right decisions because they have ascended to that position just does not hold water historically.

At the end of the day, Wanny will be Wanny. It is his nature to be conservative. He will run the ball, whether it really works or not, and depend heavily on the D/Special teams to win games.

He has already indicated that Jay would be the starter right now. That could change, but shows me that with Ricky gone, Wanny wants to stick with the players he is familiar with. Feeley does need more time, but TC should have him ready to go -if he is the QB Ricky thought he was when he made that trade with the Eagles.

There is no way Fielder can run a more open passing offense, so expect more of the same conservative play calling. This will get us nowhere since teams have long since figured out what Jay can and can't do well.

i say we fire DW and hire monte kriffin from tampa i think he'd be a really good HC

Back
Top Bottom