Is Wannstedt finally seeing the light? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Wannstedt finally seeing the light?

After reading this article, I am feeling a bit more negative toward Wanny and his thinking.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...aug02,0,942116.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

This part was especially interesting...

There is no clear workhorse back on the roster. Wannstedt said his goal is to gain 1,500 yards rushing with a collection of running backs that includes Travis Minor, Sammy Morris and Leonard Henry at the top.

The Dolphins haven't rushed for fewer than 1,500 yards, which is 94 yards per game, since 1999, the year before Wannstedt took over. They rushed for 1,817 last season. A total of 1,500 would have ranked 28th in the league, ahead of only Detroit, Pittsburgh and St. Louis.

Wannstedt said he would like to have maybe 1,800 or 2,000 yards rushing but called 1,500 with multiple backs a more realistic goal.

So Wanny condsiders it "a more realistic goal" to get 1500 yds with a collection of backs? Despite the fact that would put us right near the bottom of rushing teams? Despite the fact this team is supposed to be built to run the ball? Despite the fact 1500 yds WILL SIMPLY NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN MANY GAMES FOR US?

It Wanny thinks we can't get 1800+ yds with the guys we have, then we need to move O-Gun, trade a draft pick, get a FA (yeah, right) or whatever to improve the run game.

Unless Feeley can run a three WR pass offense, which means changing offensive philosophy for Wanny (I doubt it) then we will be depending on running game that won't be good enough. :yell:

I just dont see where this should even be a debate. Fredo wont change his play-scared style of offense. Even if he had Marino in his prime, Clayton, Duper, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Chris Carter (again), he would still keep running the Dolphins into a brick wall.

Wannyball 2004........cant wait.

Danikus said:
Just like you right? :shakeno:

That was pretty rude. If you don't like reading posts by people who have different opinions than you, you might want to avoid message boards.

BlueFin said:
Bear in mind Dave has become notorius for saying one thing and doing the exact opposite......I.E. After the 2002 season stating Offensive upgrades were the priority and proceeding to go out and sign nearly all defense.

My feeling is that While even Dave might realize what needs to be done he has a disconnect that kicks in when the time comes to actually do it and falls back into what he is comfortable with.

I agree with this, it is probably Wanny's biggest failure as an HC, he knows what he has to do, but he always devolves into doing what he is most comfortable with. Probably the reason we have not progressed as a team in four years. He's kind of like the anti-Bellicheck in this way

i like your post finfan80. i think dave will run the ball more than 1500 yards this season. remember people, we havent seen minor perform yet. yeah T.C. is all good but preseason will be the judge on how we rush the ball (thats why they have a preseason).

on a side note, what the hell is the deal w/ all this wandstat bashing 12 days before the season even STARTS! is everyone tired of bashing ricky so they have to move to an easier target? lay off the guy. if we go 0-3 the first 3 weeks of reg season then start bashing and asking for his head. but give me a break, find something more interesting to talk about.

WCUgodsmacked13 said:
Wannstedt is one of those stubborn coaches that has to run his system and doesn't conform to the talent he has. No matter what ill effects it has on the team. ...
In 1997 with Chicago, Wannstedt's Bears ranked 3rd in passing attempts. In 1996 they ranked 10th. It appears Wannstedt is not afraid to pass the ball if he feels that is the team's strength. But with Miami, he's had Ricky Williams and a decent Lamar Smith at RB.

I think a balanced attack will be the best plan for this season.

RichieW13 said:
But with Miami, he's had Ricky Williams and a decent Lamar Smith at RB.

yep. exactly right. people forget that wandstat had the NFL leading rusher in the backfield w/ amazing talent that would have landed him in the hall of fame some year. of course he was going to use ricky as much as he could. especially when he has an average qb. wandstat isnt stupid. and he has his job/career/life/financial status on the line. trust me, he will do whatever it takes within the team's capabilities.

musk said:
wandstat isnt stupid. and he has his job/career/life/financial status on the line. trust me, he will do whatever it takes within the team's capabilities.
I think there may have been a time in the NFL when a coach had a philosophy and stuck with it. Especially a star coach. Jimmy Johnson may have been that type of coach.

But now, with free agency and a salary cap, your talent changes too rapidly. If you can't change with it, you are done.

Good coaches don't change their philosophy. They may change the way they achieve their philosophy, but they don't change their philosophy.

wow so you mean after all these years he finally learned what the meaning of coaching is?? game by game... you mean he's gonna make adjustments?!:allhail: all hail wanny for finally getting it.... although i doubt he will know what adjustments to make, it takes a step by step process to become a good coach, and wanny.... its a lil too late for step 1 :shakeno:

KBISBACK said:
Good coaches don't change their philosophy. They may change the way they achieve their philosophy, but they don't change their philosophy.
What do you mean by that?

In 1984, Don Shula took the Dolphins to the Super Bowl with an offense that ranked 1st in passing yards, (6th! in pass attempts), 17th in rushing attempts and 19th in total defense.

In 1972, his Super Bowl team was 24th in pass attempts (out of 26 teams), and 1st in rushing attempts and 1st in total defense.

Looks like he changed his philsophy over time.

obsessivefinfan said:
it takes a step by step process to become a good coach, and wanny.... its a lil too late for step 1 :shakeno:
How has he won 41 games the past 4 seasons if he isn't a good coach?

Jimmy Johnson won 36 in his 4 seasons with Miami.

Shula won 39 in his final 4 seasons.

Looks like Wannstedt has taken the team that was given to him and improved it's regular season success just slightly. Oh, and he did it without the HOF QB that Shula and Johnson had.

I hope Dave passes the ball more as long as Fiedler is not the qb. Nobody wants Fiedler throwing the ball 40-50 times a game. I believe that Dave gets too much credit (or too little credit) depending on how you look at it. Norv was the biggest problem. We never made the playoffs with him. With Dave and Chan, at least we made the playoffs. Lets give Dave some time before we put him on the chopping block.

musk said:
on a side note, what the hell is the deal w/ all this wandstat bashing 12 days before the season even STARTS! is everyone tired of bashing ricky so they have to move to an easier target? lay off the guy. if we go 0-3 the first 3 weeks of reg season then start bashing and asking for his head. but give me a break, find something more interesting to talk about.

Yes! leave him alone. I hate Wannstedt. I want him fired. But give him a break. He's not going to get fired til the end of the sesaon. As freaked out as we all are about Doobie Williams quitting on us, none of us are 1/1000000 as stressed out about it as Wannstedt. Let's think positively about the passing game and sing koom-ba-ya.:goof:

RichieW13 said:
How has he won 41 games the past 4 seasons if he isn't a good coach?

Jimmy Johnson won 36 in his 4 seasons with Miami.

Shula won 39 in his final 4 seasons.

Looks like Wannstedt has taken the team that was given to him and improved it's regular season success just slightly. Oh, and he did it without the HOF QB that Shula and Johnson had.

holy cow. this is one of the most amazing posts i've ever read on this site. finally someone to step out of the "i hate wandstat" pile of crap that is on this site. good post man. damn good post.

and i would like to add that wandstat was the ONLY coach to be aggressive w/ establishing a running game. jimmy said he was going to do it and failed. shula never even attempted.

Back
Top Bottom