It's Grass....dope....who cares? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Grass....dope....who cares?

Well, apparently, we live in a society where the punishment SHOULD fit the crime. (even though it is a pipe dream).

I think the NFL should consider a more appropriate punishment system. My main point hinges on one fact... weed is NOT a performance enhancing drug. In nearly every state, you can get caught with pounds of marijuana and it's a fine. Get caught with an ounce (so to speak) of cocaine and it's a felony.

Why shouldn't the NFL have a more flexible version of punishment. It's WEED.... he did not gain an edge on the field.

I don't think we need to abide by Turkish laws and kill a man for smoking weed.

Allow him to pay an APPROPRIATE fine and participate in a rehab seminar or such.

Boomers' got mucho friends on the board so tread lightly lest all future posts go through the Atomic schredder before they are read. Come back so that you can be flogged in the proper manner. J.K.!!!

The NFL enjoys the right to make its own rules, and one of those rules involves its players staying drug-free, because they are role models for young kids. Is there anything really wrong with that? I don't think so. We shouldn't act as if these NFL players are being held to stricter standards than we are. I had to take a drug test to get a job at the Raymond James headquarters, and would have had to do so for any other large investment firm (Smith Barney, Bear Sterns, Fidelity, etc). Sure, NFL players are tested more often, but that is simply because it is important to screen for performance enhancing drugs, so they need to be constantly monitored. In turn, the testing more often results in a higher chance of catching some dope smoking than say, in my job...but its not a philosophical difference. If performance enhancing drugs were of central importance in my job, my company would do the same to me, and if they detected the presence of illegal drugs at any time, I would be either fired or put on some kind of program/suspension. And I don't get the kind of money football players do.

Its not too much to ask, you get paid millions for playing a game that is as much god-given physical ability as it is hard work, so how is it too much to ask for you to not do something that is illegal?

Its stupid. If Ricky did it, he was stupid. If not, my apologies.

I care.And like someone else said, lots of people/groups care.If I was a football star making millions of bucks I'd never even think about messing with drugs. He's got a lot going for him and should NOT need this.Again, I hope he doesn't do it again and miss 4 games or even worst, a whole year.

Ozzy rules!!

I rather him juice up. Imagine Ricky on the "juice". Before anyone flames me....I'm kidding.....but imagine it.

Boomers' got mucho friends on the board so tread lightly lest all future posts go through the Atomic schredder before they are read. Come back so that you can be flogged in the proper manner. J.K.!!!

What did you say about Boomer ? :club:
With all the time he put into the draft, there is no question he's got a 'favourite' tag albeit one that is IMO well deserved.
Also there was no doubt in my mind Boomer was a grass advocate after seeing his draft rankings for DT's :lol:

ltfinfan said:
could be home grown ya know

RW:" I was gonna run 100 yds, until I got high. I was gonna score 3 td's until I got high. Now I'm all suspeneded and I know why, because I got high, because I got high, because I got high"

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter what any of us think.fact is, he broke a rule, regardless of how menial it may seem to us. He put the record on and now it's time for him to dance to it. However, if they nab one, nab'em all and be fair about it.

Boomer said:
Even if Ricky did fail a drugs test for smoking weed, who cares? I'm mean really? Who give a stuff? Yes he'll get fined, but damn, I could care less that he got caught smoking grass. Seriously. He's not Jimmy Smith or Rae Carruth or Nate Newton. Knowing Ricky's personality, I'd be amazed if he didn't smoke it. I have a friend who went to UT and who said that he would often see Ricky smoking grass at parties. I tended not to believe it - he is a Pats fan after all - but still, at the end of the day - I don't think he's going to turn into Tony Montana any time soon.

This will doubtless be blown out of proportion on a scale similar to that of the Janet Jackson breast incident. But I say, who gives a toss? Not me.

To debate the validity of the law, take a look here ---> http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=38489

;)

See I don't smoke it myself, in fact I'm not bothered one way or another. My point, which seems to have been lost a little is that the punishment should fit the crime. Yes it's wrong in the eyes of the law, per se, but c'mon. It's laughable really.

The important thing is that it gets resolved BEFORE training camp starts. The last thing this team needs is another distraction. They will have their hands full with the coaching changes, O-line, and QB issues.

Boomer said:
See I don't smoke it myself, in fact I'm not bothered one way or another. My point, which seems to have been lost a little is that the punishment should fit the crime. Yes it's wrong in the eyes of the law, per se, but c'mon. It's laughable really.
It's beyond laughable.

Back
Top Bottom