I've just started to seriously follow College Football | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I've just started to seriously follow College Football

Legendary

Let's Go Devils
Reaction score
In the past I've been just a casual fan and living in Canada, the NCAA college football isn't covered too much up here as of course it would be in the states. I've just been a casual fan up until about half way through the College season when for some strange reason I said to myself I really want to follow this more seriously. I've tried and tried and the conferences and divisions standings etc I've studied those and I know what the teams are in Division I-A are, I think.

This question might sound really stupid but I didn't know where else to ask it.
Can teams from Division I-AA move up to Division I-A?

I am still trying to learn more about all the players and the schools. I know a great deal about the NHL and Hockey but thats because of my Canadian background and I've played hockey for 13 years. Although I played High School Football, I Just never followed the NCAA Football closely.

My Last Question is does anyone know how the best way I could go about learning more about college football? I am going to assume read as much about the players and teams and history on the internet but is there moreI could do?

Welcome to the sickness. IMO true college football fans have a football addiction second to none. You'll love this forum once the season gets nearer. You'll probably learn a lot about college here. I would also go to sites that have a lot of overall football coverage like Rivals.com or Scout.com. They focus on recruiting, which is just another step in the addiction, and have lots of other articles. They're great places because fans of all teams and conferences collect there.

Normal sites like SI and ESPN will be good on a general level just because you'll be more familiar with teams, coaches, histories...

Yes, 1-AA teams can step up to 1-A. Happens all the time. USF and UConn are two just off the top of my head that have done it in recent years.

Hope that was somewhat helpful

Welcome to the sickness. IMO true college football fans have a football addiction second to none. You'll love this forum once the season gets nearer. You'll probably learn a lot about college here. I would also go to sites that have a lot of overall football coverage like Rivals.com or Scout.com. They focus on recruiting, which is just another step in the addiction, and have lots of other articles. They're great places because fans of all teams and conferences collect there.

Normal sites like SI and ESPN will be good on a general level just because you'll be more familiar with teams, coaches, histories...

Yes, 1-AA teams can step up to 1-A. Happens all the time. USF and UConn are two just off the top of my head that have done it in recent years.

Hope that was somewhat helpful

Aint that the truth.

56 nailed a lot of it for you bro. CNNSI.com, ESPN.com and here are all great places to start. rivals.com and scout.com are also excellent for news and most importantly, recruiting. As fun as the game is, recruiting may just be the best thing about college football so check them out. Get acquainted with the players and it will make your football watching so much more fun.

Honestly, I'd rather sit thru an Eastern Michigan vs Central Michigan blow-out than watch a good Niners/Rams game.

Teams can move to Division I-A from I-AA, but it takes awhile. Western Kentucky Unversity is doing it right now, but its going to take 2 years. They have to transition to playing mostly I-A teams, as well as having certain facilities in place, etc.

In the past I've been just a casual fan and living in Canada, the NCAA college football isn't covered too much up here as of course it would be in the states. I've just been a casual fan up until about half way through the College season when for some strange reason I said to myself I really want to follow this more seriously. I've tried and tried and the conferences and divisions standings etc I've studied those and I know what the teams are in Division I-A are, I think.

This question might sound really stupid but I didn't know where else to ask it.
Can teams from Division I-AA move up to Division I-A?

I am still trying to learn more about all the players and the schools. I know a great deal about the NHL and Hockey but thats because of my Canadian background and I've played hockey for 13 years. Although I played High School Football, I Just never followed the NCAA Football closely.

My Last Question is does anyone know how the best way I could go about learning more about college football? I am going to assume read as much about the players and teams and history on the internet but is there moreI could do?

To get your self involved and to start to understand the college game I would highly recommend going to a SEC Game. I was Originally born in the North and only had Syracuse football to follow. I moved south, and I got to tell you, the history and the passion for SEC football is like no other. You need to get to a game and see the atmosphere of the pre game and post game. Tickets are hard to come by and many times are handed down from generation to generation. I go to 2 games a year, and have become more of a fan each year. I love the Noles, but I reallly enjoy watching the SEC teams fight it out.

To get your self involved and to start to understand the college game I would highly recommend going to a SEC Game. I was Originally born in the North and only had Syracuse football to follow. I moved south, and I got to tell you, the history and the passion for SEC football is like no other. You need to get to a game and see the atmosphere of the pre game and post game. Tickets are hard to come by and many times are handed down from generation to generation. I go to 2 games a year, and have become more of a fan each year. I love the Noles, but I reallly enjoy watching the SEC teams fight it out.
:rolleyes2
Going to anything from the Big East would be a change for the better.
the history and the passion for SEC football is like no other
Wow. Big 10? Big 12?

What about them?

I have been to a couple of games in the Big 10.
I like the SEC better.
For a couple of reason's.
1. Weather
2. Atmosphere - there is a reason why gameday is at many of the SEC games
3. Tailgating is awesome
4. Scenery is unbeliveable - Girls wear sun dresses and are completely out of control
5. The highway's in the south are lined with car flags of all the ACC and SEC teams every Saturday ( not really a reason but it does get you pumped up for the games)
6. These schools hate each other and the distance between schools is not far, making the fan base mixed in with each other on a daily bases, you don't want to lose on Saturday and then go to work on Monday.

If your grand daddy went to Bama, by god you better to.
If you were born a Game****, you better not go to Clemson.

There are a lot of traditions in the South that many college fans don't know about.

I have friends that live in Big 10 country and have come down for 1 game and now plan a trip every year to watch a different game. They love it.
By the way they are from Columbus.

Be a Notre Dame fan, more history than any other team, and you can watch every game on tv :)

Notre Dame has got great history, but the last 10 to 15 years have been rough. They are not playing the same level of football they use to yet. I think it will come.

Welcome to our Neighbors to the North. I love college football almost as much as the NFL. What makes college football so great are the rivalries, the tailgating, and the way the fans get into it. After you learn about the different colleges and rivalries, you also learn about the different conferences and can argue all day over which conference is better. There is also the race for the Heisman Trophy every year. I just love to head to the stadium, have great tailgate parties with fans from all over, watch the game, and basically spend the whole Saturday watching college ball. I tailgate at the Air Force Academy games here in the Springs, and go up to Boulder to watch my CU Buffs....I also am a big ASU Sun Devil's fan as I went to graduate school there....I just love watching PAC-10 games, and also the Mountain West Conference, where we got John Beck, out of BYU. :)

Then on Sundays, you can watch the NFL all day. Nothing better.

Back
Top Bottom