Jake long article on profootballtalk.com | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake long article on profootballtalk.com

He may have proved himself several years ago but again, he is NOT nearly the player he use to be. After all the injuries he's had, he will never be the same again.

I don't think anyone, except Jake Long and his agent, would dispute that.

Jake Wrong has quickly become A Big White Elephant!

Between Jake "Wrong & Matty "Melt" The Ravens turned out to be the smartest first round drafters in '08- not even factoring in the value aspect, eh?

Ozzie Newsome: snatches the best player in that draft after running the risk of losing a rotund DC by passing over him to hire an ST coach. Now that's my kind of GM!

For the record, now that we've had our fun, Jake is who is is because of Morono's playing him in a useless exhibition game 4 and Matty in perspective, is no where as melty as he is when it counts most.

Is there any possibility of a sign and trade then using that pick on another tackle in the draft ? What could we get for him ?
I'd hate to lose Jake , the 1st over all pick , with no compensation.

Imagine if we could fetch a 3rd round pick for Jake and then get a 4th round compensatory pick. 8 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft would be outstanding!!

How about a high 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year ? Could be a 1st if he goes to the probowl.

Something is better than nothing.

How about a high 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year ? Could be a 1st if he goes to the probowl.

Something is better than nothing.
I agree. It's not trading of Jake that would be problem, it's the signing of Long to a contract that all parties involved would agree on.

I agree. It's not trading of Jake that would be problem, it's the signing of Long to a contract that all parties involved would agree on.

Yea we are not getting anything for Long, that ship sailed last year

For those saying Jake Long sucked last year, you have been spoiled by just how good he has been for us. As "bad" as he was last year, he's still one of the better LTs in the game.

That being said, he seems to be breaking down (thanks Tony Sparano) and he does not really fit the scheme if the team now so he is not a priority. I don't think he will get the contract he is looking for from the Fins or any other team.

It's sad really. The guy was a very good player who gave it his all the whole game. Maybe he can prove people wrong, but I don't think it will be in Miami.

Don't be shocked if an OT is picked in round 1 this year. May be the position with the BPA.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

For those saying Jake Long sucked last year, you have been spoiled by just how good he has been for us. As "bad" as he was last year, he's still one of the better LTs in the game.

That being said, he seems to be breaking down (thanks Tony Sparano) and he does not really fit the scheme if the team now so he is not a priority. I don't think he will get the contract he is looking for from the Fins or any other team.

It's sad really. The guy was a very good player who gave it his all the whole game. Maybe he can prove people wrong, but I don't think it will be in Miami.

Don't be shocked if an OT is picked in round 1 this year. May be the position with the BPA.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Long is a good LT p[roblem is he wants to get paid like a great one

Yea we are not getting anything for Long, that ship sailed last year

Yep. You and I were two of the few beating that drum as soon as we drafted Martin.

There was really no point in keeping Long to play a season in which nobody expected us to win a title, then letting him walk after his contract is up. We couldve gotten some fool to fork over a 3rd rounder or so for Long last year.

And why do people keep bringing up sign and trades around here? This isnt the NBA. I keep seeing posts like that though.

What is the answer to Long's replacement? This is what I kind of don't get. Any of the OTs available [that would be worth a damn] are going to cost us probably just under what he'll cost, so I'm just curious what type of "alternative" do we have? Please stop it on the Lane Johnson stuff as he's going a pick before us at the latest. So, what's the "FA" alternative to re-signing Jake Long?

Between Jake "Wrong & Matty "Melt" The Ravens turned out to be the smartest first round drafters in '08- not even factoring in the value aspect, eh?

Ozzie Newsome: snatches the best player in that draft after running the risk of losing a rotund DC by passing over him to hire an ST coach. Now that's my kind of GM!

For the record, now that we've had our fun, Jake is who is is because of Morono's playing him in a useless exhibition game 4 and Matty in perspective, is no where as melty as he is when it counts most.

Matty Ice is was a play or two from being in the Superbowl Jake Wrong is broken down junk! Five years later the first overall pick doesn't command a tag and teams are talking a position switch. Do you really think ATL won't tag Matt Ryan the minute it becomes a option? Do you really think Matt Ryan won't become the highest paid player in the NFL next year? And if ATL didn't resign or tag Ryan teams would be falling over themselves to break the bank for him and they won't be talking about him switching positions! It isn't even a debate Vark ATL is averaging over 10 wins a season since drafting Ryan and we are 4 out of 5 losing seasons 4 in a row! It was the Wrong pick the Wrong Philosophy and The Wrong people pulling the trigger!

Last edited by a moderator:
Matty Ice is was a play or two from being in the Superbowl Jake Wrong is broken down junk! Five years later the first overall pick doesn't command a tag and TEs are talking a position switch. Do you really think ATL won't tag Matt Ryan the minute it becomes a option? Do you really think Matt Ryan won't become the highest paid player in the NFL next year? And if ATL didn't resign or tag Ryan teams would be falling over themselves to break the bank for him and they won't be talking about him switching positions! It isn't even a debate Vark ATL is averaging over 10 wins a season since drafting Ryan and we are 4 out of 5 losing seasons 4 in a row! It was the Wrong pick the Wrong Philosophy and The Wrong people pulling the trigger!

Flynryan, I get that. I was on the Matt Ryan train too that year. But it is what it is. We have Ryan Tannehill for good or for worse. What is the alternative to re-signing Jake Long? Do we really expect Andre Smith will cost all that much "less" than what Long will cost? Albert? They are going to command similar contracts. Would you really advocate Gosder Cherilus on the right with Colombo part deux Martin on the left over Long?

Matty Ice is was a play or two from being in the Superbowl Jake Wrong is broken down junk! Five years later the first overall pick doesn't command a tag and teams are talking a position switch. Do you really think ATL won't tag Matt Ryan the minute it becomes a option? Do you really think Matt Ryan won't become the highest paid player in the NFL next year? And if ATL didn't resign or tag Ryan teams would be falling over themselves to break the bank for him and they won't be talking about him switching positions! It isn't even a debate Vark ATL is averaging over 10 wins a season since drafting Ryan and we are 4 out of 5 losing seasons 4 in a row! It was the Wrong pick the Wrong Philosophy and The Wrong people pulling the trigger!

Flacco, who's now 9-4 in the postseason (not 1-4), also was 1 receiver botched play away from the SB in '11. Hell, Wilson's won as many PO games as Melty and was only 2pts away from the SB. For that matter Alex Smith was also a play away from the SB in '11 and wasn't he just traded for a 2nd and a conditional? For Melty, too bad the conference championship wasn't only the first 2 qtrs.. otherwise he'd have made it instead of scoring 10 points in the last 2 qtrs of the first game and zero in the second 2qtrs of the conference game. Color me unimpressed. Again, maybe Jake was "wrong" as compared to Melty, but Melty was "wrong" as compared to Flacco who obviously and certifiably possesses the "clutch" gene!

Again, since hindsight's always 20/20, the move would have been to grab Jake (pre-Sparano ruination by useless exhibition game) and then trade up to leapfrog Baltimore for Flacco. Hell, using the looking glass, a case can be made that even at #1, Flacco would have been the "right" pick.

Back
Top Bottom