Jake Long: "Meet The New Boss - - (Same As The Old Boss)" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long: "Meet The New Boss - - (Same As The Old Boss)"

how come when I respond it is "lastworditis" but when you respond it's ok?

If I wanted people to know what I do for a living I would posts a thousand pictures and give info. if you ever want to meet at a Jets-Phins game let me know, I'll tell you all about myself.

it's amazing how great players are when playing for the dolphins and how bad they are once they leave.

If he was great wouldn't the Dolphins been able to sign him? In other words he was deemed replaceable b/c he wasn't what he used to be? Of course not. Dolphins fans are wrong. And bad. Shame on them.

If he was great wouldn't the Dolphins been able to sign him? In other words he was deemed replaceable b/c he wasn't what he used to be? Of course not. Dolphins fans are wrong. And bad. Shame on them.

didn't the dolphins try to re-sign him?

didn't the dolphins try to re-sign him?

They did. If they really wanted him to re-sign are you saying they wouldn't have done all they could to retain him? They re-signed Hartline b/c they wanted him and he wasn't in decline. Jake Long is currently not playing that well in St. Louis. Had they overpaid him to stay in Miami and he was still struggling that would've been the worse move.

They did. If they really wanted him to re-sign are you saying they wouldn't have done all they could to retain him? They re-signed Hartline b/c they wanted him and he wasn't in decline. Jake Long is currently not playing that well in St. Louis. Had they overpaid him to stay in Miami and he was still struggling that would've been the worse move.

How do you know they didn't do all they could?

They overpaid a ton of guys this offseason, overpaying a quality LT wouldn't have been the worst move.

How do you know they didn't do all they could?

They overpaid a ton of guys this offseason, overpaying a quality LT wouldn't have been the worst move.

I disagree. Not everyone liked drafting him over Matt Ryan. To have re-signed a guy who not everyone thought they should've who also wasn't as good as used to be wouldn't have been a good thing.

I don't know that they didn't do all they could but neither do you. I never claimed I had the answer.

From an ESPN article:

Yet almost five years after the '08 draft, the Dolphins let Long -- who at 27 is entering his prime -- hit the open market without even offering him his $15.4 million franchise tag salary. Long ultimately became the 11th free agent offensive tackle to sign this offseason, inking a four-year deal with the Rams that could be worth as much as $36 million. But the contract came after he lingered on the market for a week, with his old team as the only other real suitor.

So why the dramatic drop in urgency and currency for such a productive player? Actually, it's not Long who has lost so much value -- it's his position. The left tackle, once considered an essential building block for every franchise, has seen its importance erode in this era of read-option spread offenses. That's something NFL teams with high draft picks need to consider on April 25, when two left tackles, Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel and Central Michigan's Eric Fisher, are expected to be top-five picks.

Maybe they thought they could've replaced him with a cheaper player. I don't know. I do believe that a team usually re-signs the guys they really want to retain. They could've re-signed Reggie Bush for what Detroit picked him up for but they didn't. Why? I'd assume they thought Miller was better or that they didn't need him.

Overpaid a ton of guys. The hilarity of that coming from a Jets fan no less.

We are 3-0 and in excellent shape finacially moving forward.

Overpaid a ton of guys. The hilarity of that coming from a Jets fan no less.

We are 3-0 and in excellent shape finacially moving forward.

I wasn't bashing, just stating a fact. You overpaid a ton of guys this offseason, that is a fact.

I wasn't bashing, just stating a fact. You overpaid a ton of guys this offseason, that is a fact.

If they bring us to the playoffs I could care less how much they're getting paid.

They didnt exactly get rid of JAke Long, he chose ST Louis over us for slightly more money than we offered.

Call it what you like. It was pretty obvious the Dolphins didn't want him. They gave him an offer that was on the low side of competetive, and he
understood what that meant, which was; "Leave."

it's amazing how great players are when playing for the dolphins and how bad they are once they leave.

I think your criticism is off base here Junc. Jake Long has always been a hot button topic around here. I'm sure I have been accused of having a "homeristic" point of view at times (and I don't really care). For example, it took me a long time to let go of the idea that Chad Henne had some potential as a future NFL starter and I have no problem admitting that I was wrong. The point is, even I was kind of hot and cold on Long. He was great at times, and other times he looked like a total bust. I still remember John Abraham literally running over him on the way to Chad Pennington against Atlanta on opening day 2009. Add that to the fact that he has trouble making it through an entire season and I can't say that I miss him and his huge contract.

Back
Top Bottom