Jakeem Grant - good we moved on - fumbled AGAIN - cost Bears the game | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant - good we moved on - fumbled AGAIN - cost Bears the game

Grant couldn’t even put his 2 tiny feet inbounds. He is a waste of a roster spot

I don’t know about this. I get the frustrating w the muffed punts - especially earlier in his career - but “unlimited?” And then “failing every time” - don’t know about that either. A lot of return TDs - enough to the no 1 in Dolphin history. And a context extension. I’d say he did real well here for a 5’6”, late round draft pick.
Dude, he muffed his last punt with us and we cut him. Dropped pretty much every pass thrown to him. Could not play WR. Unlimited chances??? Hell yeah, he was with us for like 4 years. Keep going?
what games are you guys watching???? Jesus Christ Almighty

It's always been feast or famine with Jakeem. He outright cost the Fins the last game he played here, IIRC

Apply the same denominator to the number of TDs scored (separate returns from receptions). Fumbling rates on returns are much higher in general than on receptions which is skewing Ginn’s numbers. Ginn was a good returner. Grant is better. Ginn was the better receiver and overall player, yes.
So go with just returns -- where 12 of Grant's 13 fumbles occurred. Also remember that Grant is not a bulk returner because he often was not trusted back there because of his hands. Total returns in his career (including fair catches on punts): 145 punts, 109 kickoffs. So that's 12 fumbles on 254 chances, or a 4.7% rate.

Of Ted Ginn's fumbles, 21 of the 25 occurred on special teams. He handled 438 punts and 307 kickoffs, so 21 fumbles on 745 chances. 2.8%. Grant's rate was 70% higher than Ginn's.

So many times, a change of scenery can really resurrect a player's career. It seems like that's what's happened to our record-setting former return man, Jakeem Grant. Since being traded to the Bears after week 4, he's caught 9 passes for 139 yards - a 15.4 YPC average. In last night's game against the Packers, he showed off his blazing speed on a 46 yard shovel pass for a TD and then on a 97 yard punt return TD. This is after leading the Bears in catches last week against Arizona. Jakeem's not going to be a #1 or #2 WR in the league, but he's getting back to being the big-play gadget guy he was for us 3 or 4 years ago. Glad to see things working out for him!

And as I mentioned in the title, things are simultaneously working out really well for the Dolphins. Jaylen Waddle may end up being that kind of explosive return guy for us, although I'd really prefer him to be used only as a WR - same goes for Jevon Holland. Our return guys haven't broken any big returns since Jakeem was traded, but they've done a good job hanging on to the football, which was really plaguing Jakeem earlier this year.

So go with just returns -- where 12 of Grant's 13 fumbles occurred. Also remember that Grant is not a bulk returner because he often was not trusted back there because of his hands. Total returns in his career (including fair catches on punts): 145 punts, 109 kickoffs. So that's 12 fumbles on 254 chances, or a 4.7% rate.

Of Ted Ginn's fumbles, 21 of the 25 occurred on special teams. He handled 438 punts and 307 kickoffs, so 21 fumbles on 745 chances. 2.8%. Grant's rate was 70% higher than Ginn's.
Now that’s good work, Dog. Crazy though just how many fumbles occur on ST. I really wish they hadn’t basically eliminated the kickoff return - kickoffs are about as boring as the old PAT now. Thanks for digging up the stats and showing them in the appropriate context. Good discussion.

Dude, he muffed his last punt with us and we cut him. Dropped pretty much every pass thrown to him. Could not play WR. Unlimited chances??? Hell yeah, he was with us for like 4 years. Keep going?
what games are you guys watching???? Jesus Christ Almighty
It was comical that after his last muffed punt they put Waddle back there and he not only muffed his first punt return, he managed to pick it up, run and then fumble all on the same play. 2 fumbles on one return. Running back punts is hard. Probably the hardest job in the NFL from a ball security standpoint beside playing QB. Check out brother Brumdogs stats on Grant and Ginn. While Ginn was better in protecting the ball, he still put it on the ground close to 3% of the time. All returners muff punts. Very few can score or rip long ones with consistently. Grant can and we saw it last night. It all depends on what you value more - the risk of a muff or the big play.

It's always been feast or famine with Jakeem. He outright cost the Fins the last game he played here, IIRC
Nah he didn’t cost us the game any more than Waddles, Gaskins and Williams fumbles in that game. We stunk and shoe ourselves in the foot over and over that day.

It was comical that after his last muffed punt they put Waddle back there and he not only muffed his first punt return, he managed to pick it up, run and then fumble all on the same play. 2 fumbles on one return. Running back punts is hard. Probably the hardest job in the NFL from a ball security standpoint beside playing QB. Check out brother Brumdogs stats on Grant and Ginn. While Ginn was better in protecting the ball, he still put it on the ground close to 3% of the time. All returners muff punts. Very few can score or rip long ones with consistently. Grant can and we saw it last night. It all depends on what you value more - the risk of a muff or the big play.
My actual reason I wanted him gone was the muffed punts but also useless anywhere else in the WR unit
Those dropped passes in his hands were Drive killers

Exactly. Coaching staffs hate guys who average 43.7 yards on punt returns and can score from anywhere on the field.
He's averaging 13.7 this year, not his best season, but not bad.

Jakeem has always been good for a few splash plays and a good game or two per year, but he has also been terribly reliable at the stone-hands. He already contributed highly to a loss this year for the Bears, with muffage. He had a few highlight reel plays on a nationally televised game, but the odds on him being 'the' guy are poor. Has 3 fumbles this year, and there's plenty of ball left...he got his season's worth of TDs last night.

4 career punt-returns for TD...7 career receiving TDs, for a total of 11 TDs...13 fumbles, 7 lost.

I did think it was lame how Miami did him though...got him to take a pay-cut, then traded him...to Chicago of all places on top lol.

Back
Top Bottom