Jets scale back Quinton Coples workload | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets scale back Quinton Coples workload

It's fun watching Junc flounder. Hehehe.

Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.

Yes I am floundering b/c you hate the Jets.

Again, you don't know that. I believe the Jets were playing to win the game. That was the Jets 2nd OT possession and there was over 5:00min (Not 3) left when they attempted the kick. Even if they don't attempt the kick, who says that they would have been able to hold SL for a 3rd time in OT had they punted instead? We can both speculate all day, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is we know they lost. With that loss, they had to rely on Buff to lose in order to make it. There is no getting around it.

It only matters when you know better. You know it wasn't 5 and you still exaggerate the numbers to try and help your argument. The only thing asked of the Jets was to win. That was the only thing that they could control. They needed some help and came within 1 point of getting it. None of it matters anyway becasue they were already eliminated by the Dolphins. There is no getting around that either.

We are pretty much repeating the same things over and over, so I am going to move on. If you want to continue, you can answer these two questions for me:

Who mathematically eliminated the Jets?

Did it matter if the 2004 Bills won or lost against Pitt in regards to the Jets clinching a playoff birth?

I don't expect an answer other than "Jets took care of business" and "They wouldn't have made it anyway", so I am moving on. :up:

I do know it b/c it was discussed at the time and common sense tells me that as well.

My mistake, the play by play logs at NFL.com show the time when a team takes over not when the drive ends so I thought they took over w/ 3 mins left. Either way that late in the game they aren't kicking that long of a FG knowing you need a win OR a tie to clinch. It makes more sense to punt w/ 5 mins than 3 b/c you know if you get a stop you will be near midfield w/ more time to play.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=250102014&period=5

If they punt at worst SL gets the ball at their 20, at best they are inside the 10.

Again, I realize this was the biggest Miami win in the last decade but we weren't going to the playoffs either way.

we wouldn't have attempted that FG if we didn't know Buf had lost.

all of this stuff is meaningless. We made it in 2004 and won a playoff game, we wouldn't have made it either way in '08 or '11.

Yes I am floundering b/c you hate the Jets.

I do know it b/c it was discussed at the time and common sense tells me that as well.

My mistake, the play by play logs at NFL.com show the time when a team takes over not when the drive ends so I thought they took over w/ 3 mins left. Either way that late in the game they aren't kicking that long of a FG knowing you need a win OR a tie to clinch. It makes more sense to punt w/ 5 mins than 3 b/c you know if you get a stop you will be near midfield w/ more time to play.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=250102014&period=5

If they punt at worst SL gets the ball at their 20, at best they are inside the 10.

Again, I realize this was the biggest Miami win in the last decade but we weren't going to the playoffs either way.

we wouldn't have attempted that FG if we didn't know Buf had lost.

all of this stuff is meaningless. We made it in 2004 and won a playoff game, we wouldn't have made it either way in '08 or '11.

:lol:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2005-01-04/sports/18299339_1_wayne-chrebet-jets-donnie-henderson

OVER AND OVER: Would Edwards have tried that 53-yard FG attempt in overtime if the Jets needed a victory to secure a playoff berth? Interesting question.

Edwards knew the Jets had clinched a spot by virtue of the Bills' loss to the Steelers, so there was less risk involved for a long field goal. Edwards said he would have played it the same way even if they had been in a must-win situation. Doug Brien's miss gave the Rams a short field, setting up the game-winning FG.

The coach admitted he was a "little concerned" about using Martin in a meaningless overtime, but he added, "We were trying to win the game."

"You hate to lose getting in," Coach Herman Edwards said.

"It's bittersweet," said Martin, who was discussing the Jets' entry into the playoffs but just as easily could have been describing his accomplishments. He said the Jets had entered the locker room "bitter, but then we heard that we made the playoffs and felt better."

All of this stuff is meaningless, which is why it boggles my mind that you can't admit what actually happened. Since you couldn't answer my questions and we keep repeating the same things over and over, I'm moving on. :up:

I don't buy it for a second, I couldn't find it but I remember vividly articles about how the team knew they were in before OT. Don'y buy anythin a coach tells you, when is a coach going to say they weren't trying to win? There's just no way they would kick that FG in that situation if Buf had been able to beat the Pitt backups.

At that link:

Edwards knew the Jets had clinched a spot by virtue of the Bills' loss to the Steelers, so there was less risk involved for a long field goal.

At that link:

That is what the writer was saying. I know that Herm and some of the players knew that Buff had lost, but that doesn't mean they weren't trying their hardest to win the game or did things differently becasue of that. In fact, they claim the exact opposite. Herm said himself that he would have played it the same way even if they had been in a must-win situation. He said: "We were trying to win the game." No coach wants to go into the playoffs losing, let alone losing 3 out of the last 4. No coach who doesn't care about losing leaves all of the starters in the game in OT.

Do I think they were trying on the field? sure but when you know you have it clinched the sense of urgency is different and I don't buy what Herm said.

They went in winning in 2001 and lost in the WC rd, they went in losing in 2004 and won in the WC rd.

Do I think they were trying on the field? sure but when you know you have it clinched the sense of urgency is different and I don't buy what Herm said.

They went in winning in 2001 and lost in the WC rd, they went in losing in 2004 and won in the WC rd.

It doesn't matter what you and I think. None of it has anything to do with my original statement that the Jets needed Buff to lose in order to clinch a playoff spot. Just like it doesn't matter if the Jets got help in 2011 or not becasue Miami already eliminated them. It is two simple facts that can not be debated.

I don't see your point on the last statement? Are you saying that the Jets wanted to go in losing?

Buf needed us to lose to have a chance.

didn't want to but the season resets in postseaqson. Whether they won or lost the previous week means nothing.

I have to chime in. this "help" argument is silly. every team needs help unless they go 16-0. you need other teams to lose games ... period. it's ridiculous to focus on week 17 because it's the last week. what happened the previous 16 weeks doesn't matter? everyone plays out the full schedule. the teams with the best records get in. this isn't college ... it makes no difference what order the wins and losses come in. would you feel better if the buffalo loss to Pitt happened in week 14?? would that still count as help or is it only help because the schedule makers happened to slot the game for week 17? guess what ... either way it still counts for one loss.

I have to chime in. this "help" argument is silly. every team needs help unless they go 16-0. you need other teams to lose games ... period. it's ridiculous to focus on week 17 because it's the last week. what happened the previous 16 weeks doesn't matter? everyone plays out the full schedule. the teams with the best records get in. this isn't college ... it makes no difference what order the wins and losses come in. would you feel better if the buffalo loss to Pitt happened in week 14?? would that still count as help or is it only help because the schedule makers happened to slot the game for week 17? guess what ... either way it still counts for one loss.

Just when I think I'm out, I get sucked back in. :lol:

There is a difference to me if you are in playoff position early in the season and if you need help to remain in that spot late in the season. Only two teams have ever finished the regular season undefeated in the history of the NFL, so other teams losing some games is pretty much a given. A loss is a loss, but losses that come early in the season do not clinch a playoff spot for anyone. It may put another team in a better position to do so, but that team still has to keep that position by continuing to win. The only thing a team can control is how it plays against other teams. Division teams play similar schedules and play the other teams in the division twice. So, losses that come early in the season can be overcome during the course of the season since they will play each other at some point. As a team, you want put yourself in a position where you control your playoff destiny. You do not want to be in a position to where another team that you are not playing is the difference between making or missing the playoffs in the last few games (or game) of the season. To me, that says that you didn't do enough throughout the course of the season.

I don't need to focus on when the Buff loss happened. This is not about Buff, it is about what the Jets couldn't do. They couldn't take care of business on their own. It would make a huge difference to me if the Bills loss came in week 9 when the Jets played them as opposed to week 17 when the Jets had nothing to do with it. It would make a huge difference to me if the Jets won just 1 of the last 3 games they lost that would have clinch a spot for them instead of needing Buff to lose to do it. The Jets had a 3 game lead over Buff with 4 games to go and had destiny in their hands. They had the opportunity to clinch a spot on their own. Instead the Jets went on to lose 3 out of the next 4 which took their playoff destiny out of their hands and gave it to Buff. Yes, the Jets won enough to get in but there is a difference between the teams that keep their playoff spot by winning and the teams that keep their spot because another team they didn't play lost. Kudos to the Jets for winning enough earlier to still give them a chance, but that doesn't mean they didn't throw away their own destiny and put it in Buff's hands.

Do you honestly believe that there isn't a difference?

On a side note, I thought Coples looked good in his debut. :up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Coples did look good but it's preseason, I don't take anything positive or negative out of it. As long as we come out healthy and the only injuury we had was relatively minor.

Back
Top Bottom