Joe Philbin says TE Michael Egnew will have to improve his "play speed" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin says TE Michael Egnew will have to improve his "play speed"

It's going to be tough for him to stick on this team. Keller is not a blocker by nature and Clay is more of an H-Back. They're going to have to bring in a strong blocking TE to help Martin at whatever side he ends up playing. What spot does that leave for Egnew. Would Clay be taking one of the FB roster spots with Lane instead of a TE spot?

I guess looking at GB would give a better idea of how Philbin plans on using the TE and FB positions.

how do you know how much of the playbook he knows?

That's the knock on him, he doesn't know what's going on, doesn't know the playbook. Philbin saysnplay faster, he means he needs to know what he's doing without thinking about it.

If Coach already gave up on Egnew he would not be telling Tgnew what he needs to improve for the upcoming season.
Egnew did have the longest reception in the preseason last year and i think it was a mistake for sherman to blast the kid on hardknocks and not get the rook some shots down the filed when the team lacked playmakers. Will be less of an issue with Keller. Hopefulley Keller can teach him some positive work habits.

Yeah just out luck we cut him, the jets pick him up and he make the fins look silly.

Well once he improves his speed, he can improve his catching, then his blocking and by then how to make a mcmuffin properly or how to slice bread at subway

a big knock of mine watching this kid as a prospect and i saw the same thing in the preseason with egnew is he's a one speed player...does everything at the same speed...no real burst or quick acceleration...it really hurts his ability to separate and win in his routes...

good luck changing it...

he's a deer in headlights. get rid of him.

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

hopefully the tight end Ertz from Stanford is availiable in the 2nd round. I feel he is better than Keller already.

He has everything you want on paper but nothing on the field......yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing Egnew this year. You don't find a lot of TE's having outstanding 1st seasons. A lot of folks on this forum wanted Ireland to go after Dennis Pitta. He only caught 1 pass for 1 yard in his 1st season. It takes some time. Especially for a kid who was more of a slot receiver than a TE in college. At least the kid is working hard this offseason. It shows that he wants to be good. He does have the size and skills that you look for in the new age TE. Let's see how much he improves.

We should get a 2nd grade class to all write Egnew letters and tell him how good he is every week. Then, when Sherman rips him a new one he can look at those letters and feel better about himself. All that new confidence and poof we now have a great TE who is studying the playbook, blocking, and beasting people for the ball. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom