Joe Philbin's Game Management | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin's Game Management

I have to disagree with much of this negativity toward Philbin's game management. The only call I didn't like was the 53 yd FG attempt - not in that situation. But the two other calls that went/are being heavily criticized from the past 2 weeks were the pass play in the AZ game w 2:58 remaining and the pass play to Clay today. Neither call bothered me. The execution bothered me. In the AZ game there was obviously a blown assignment that allowed the LB to jump on Tannehill before he stepped away from center. In fact, had that been a running play the LB might have tackled RT before he got to hand the ball off. I hated the outcome of that play - but not the call. Today, the pass to Clay was a good call. It was safe, high % and gave us a chance to get 9 yards. A running play (which Morono would have called) would have likely gained yard and taken the clock down - yes. The pass play to Clay SHOULD have accomplished the same thing - but the idiot ran out of bounds. That's not game management - that's "head up rear-end" syndrome by a player - we'll see if he ever does that again (Clay). Had he stayed in bounds, no one would be groaning about the calls. Perhaps I'm over-analyzing this because our game management was attrocious under Morono. I don't see Philbin using time outs just to "collect his thoughts" as his predecessor did. In fact, we are going into the end of halves and games with 2 or 3 TOs left. The last regime would burn them all in the first quarter. I like that Philbin is being aggressive and I also like the calls he's choosing to challenge - the refs got both wrong today - the fumble turned no fumble and the guy's heel AND hand hit the paint when he touched the punted ball. Didn't like the 53YD FG try - but overall we are far less predictable than we've been in a long time, which, given the lack of talent we have, I think is a good thing.

Good post even though we disagree. More should take up your example.

Joe Philbin has had awful game management in the last three weeks. Passing when they should be running, kicking when they should be punting. It is obvious he has a long way to before he is considered a positive factor in us winning games. He is no limited to no feel for the ebb and flow of the game.

Player have to execute, but he needs to do his job with the headset on.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

At what point does the team not being able to finish fall at his feet? What kind of culture has he created so that are so mentally weak?

Looks like Dlockz officially has a challenger for Negative Nancy award this year. Dlockz you better step your game up if you want to lock it up again this time.

Run the ball. Run the clock. Use one of your best players to attempt to pin them. Give the Bengals with the ball with a minute left or so with no timeouts.

That is effective clock management.

And if they got stopped on that 3rd down play by running the ball you know damn sure people here would chastise Philbin and Sherman for not electing to pass to win the game with another first down.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Jeff Fisher wouldn't have.

Dude has never won anything significant either

I know because he let his team pee on the field or something after a playoff gam

and it was the day before the game. just for the record. :)

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Hey,

do you think the green bay packers miss philbin?

i do

Looks like Dlockz officially has a challenger for Negative Nancy award this year. Dlockz you better step your game up if you want to lock it up again this time.

The places were hopefully heading, these types of post will begin to fall to the waste side.

Philbin does have some game management issues. But this team is much better prepared for game day than when Sparano was coach. They execute much better and just look like a better team fundamentally. It seems to me that right now Philbin is an Andy Reid. The team is prepared to play come game day, but the in game situation decision making and clock management leave a lot to be desired.

I have faith that he will learn though. He is a first time head coach and is, by all accounts, a very bright man.

I do not think the post was negative at all. I have stated where I feel Joe is as a coach at this point. A lot of good and some bad.

BTW, aren't you the one that wanted Matt Moore to start?

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

just glad we dont have brian billick. lol

Didn't you want Pete Carmichael?

I do not think the post was negative at all. I have stated where I feel Joe is as a coach at this point. A lot of good and some bad.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

yes, until he wasnt in the running. Then came philbin. you know i wanted philbin hayden.

For those who claim game management issues. I think those are not all on Philbin because it is such an automated offense where Sherman runs it and coyle runs the D. I think the offense and defense caused cincy to call timeout two times in each half which caused them to have none later on when needed most.

I thought that was beautiful.

Run the ball and punt it. They would have had 40 seconds fewer than they did. It was about field position and the defense at that point...not closing it out.

Also, the staff has some responsibility in terms of Clay's mental block. A) they should drill in him he needs to stay in bounds B) why is Clay getting the call?

Sorry, Joe Philbin has struggled on game day folks.

Of course, those flaming will not read all the posts, but I have praised Philbin to no end on his preparation Monday through Saturday. As rookie HC he is struggling on Sunday sometimes. Not sure how that is up for debate outside the fact people do not want to acknowledge the HC has some developing to do.

This post as well as the original one is stupid. Any NFL kicker should be trusted to make a 53 yard FG, if not then he shouldn't be in the damn league. Secondly, you want philbin to run the ball 3 straight downs and then trust his defense to stop them. The same damn defense that gave up two game winning scores late the past two weeks? We don't have Sporano or Wadnstadt here anymore sir. Philbin is doing a great job. The only criticism i have is not calling a timeout agianst the cardinals on that game tying drive when it was obvious the defense was getting tired. Other than that, he's been fine.
Of course, those flaming will not read all the posts, but I have praised Philbin to no end on his preparation Monday through Saturday. As rookie HC he is struggling on Sunday sometimes. Not sure how that is up for debate outside the fact people do not want to acknowledge the HC has some developing to do.[/QUOTE]

yes, until he wasnt in the running. Then came philbin. you know i wanted philbin hayden.

For those who claim game management issues. I think those are not all on Philbin because it is such an automated offense where Sherman runs it and coyle runs the D. I think the offense and defense caused cincy to call timeout two times in each half which caused them to have none later on when needed most.

I thought that was beautiful.

Joe and his staff have done some great things this year. I have gone out of my way to list them within this post. Whether someone cares to actually read them is not on me. My issues today was the FG attempt and final offensive possession. We also had some issues in the NYJ and Arizona game in terms of play selection and deciding when to attempt a FG.

I'm coming around on Philbin.

I was very excited when we hired him and drafted Tannehill. I thought he'd be the perfect coach to implement a modern offense and groom Tannehill into a franchise QB. I do admit though that I definately had a foot off his bandwagon after Hard Knocks and the preseason. He didn't come off as someone that I thought would get the players to buy into his program and get maximum effort from them if things went bad.

I admit that I've been wrong after 5 games. I definately think we're outplaying our talent. We could very easily be 4-1 if things would've broken a little differently. I'm very excited about the future of our team for the first time in a long time.

Now Philbin has had some game management issues that have contributed to our team losing 2 winnable games. Not saying we would have won for sure if not for his mistakes, but I do think they've had a big impact. However, I do think he'll improve. These are his first 5 games as an NFL Head Coach after all.

I expect Philbin to improve in these type of situations and I also think Tannehill will improve in these situations as well. I think we should really wait to see how Philbin/Tannehill improve throughout this season and next season until we really start to worry about it. I expect at this time next year this will be a non issue.

Joe and his staff have done some great things this year. I have gone out of my way to list them within this post. Whether someone cares to actually read them is not on me. My issues today was the FG attempt and final offensive possession. We also had some issues in the NYJ and Arizona game in terms of play selection and deciding when to attempt a FG.

I read all your stuff Hayden. I am also aware of your PIE principle, which i agree totally with.

I like to pick on you a little because your a good guy. its a respect thing. and your damn gophers kicked my SU azz too.

If you pull my original get real thread of the preseason, I wanted Tannehill to be the starter from day 1.

I think some of the issues are non issuses. Philbin is much more aggressive than sparano. The downside to being aggressive is it isn't all ways going to work. I like going for the 53 yards field goal because philbin didn't take his foot off the gas. I'm glad when we get up by 11 we are still trying to score points. How many games did sparano lose because we got a lead then ran the ball and prayed for the clock to run? Philbin plays to win and i love. I watched this team play not to lose long enough. We need to learn to bury teams. The talent level in this league is equal from team to team you can't let up or you will get bit in the ass. Charles clay ran out of bounds because he did something stupid. Do you want philbin to grab a helmet and go tackle him in bounds.

2 plays that there was nothing wrong with being called they were just poorly executed. If the FG is good and Clay stays inbounds, do you still create a thread bashing the decisions?

Back
Top Bottom