Joe Philbin's Game Management | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin's Game Management

I didn't read through all these posts but let me just say that when you have a 3rd and one, or 4th and one, you have to do much better job. I also don't understand why we threw it on 3rd and 10 with about two minutes left in the game, only to get stopped two yards short, as well as killing the clock. We lost a couple close games, and fortunately we won a close one today, but we almost gave it away again. The play calling has to get better. I also thought the refs were horrible. I can't remember who got the sideline fumble (Burfict) but it looked like he never had control of it. The punt that was stopped at the one foot line also crossed the goal line and the Bengal player's foot hit the end zone line. We probably had FIVE big calls go against us. BUT....it's a WIN so F the refs and the Bengals. :3w:

Please make it stop. The insanity on this board is borderline psychotic! You guys must only watch dolphins games, seriously!

For the record of where I stand on Joe Philbin:

1. As stated earlier in this thread, I think Joe Philbin has done a tremendous job Monday through Saturday get his team ready for Sunday. The game plans and helping his team recover from tough losses have been awesome to see.

2. Joe and his staff have done a lot with rookie QB, questionable weapons/secondary and a team with limited depth.

3. I DO think that Joe Philbin has stumbled some in some game management issues in the past three weeks. All I have said and asked is that I hope that he improves in that area. To think that Philbin is coaching like a veteran on game day is simply not the case. He is rookie HC that like others on this team is trying to find their way.

These are my positions. Any poster that states otherwise is either not reading my posts or is simply piling on.

For the record of where I stand on Joe Philbin:

1. As stated earlier in this thread, I think Joe Philbin has done a tremendous job Monday through Saturday get his team ready for Sunday. The game plans and helping his team recover from tough losses have been awesome to see.

2. Joe and his staff have done a lot with rookie QB, questionable weapons/secondary and a team with limited depth.

3. I DO think that Joe Philbin has stumbled some in some game management issues in the past three weeks. All I have said and asked is that I hope that he improves in that area. To think that Philbin is coaching like a veteran on game day is simply not the case. He is rookie HC that like others on this team is trying to find their way.

These are my positions. Any poster that states otherwise is either not reading my posts or is simply piling on.

In spite of who thinks what, you have clarified everything. OVER, DONE, NEXT. :)

Agreed, wouldn't have passed their. Let Dalton go 80 yards in 1 min 20 sec with no TO's. Didn't seem like it would happen today.

If they would have ran it for 1 or 2 yards, it would have been "Why arent they going for the kill! philbin is so conservative! might as well have Sparano playing it safe! play to win!"

Fact is they called a play that had worked most of the game and got what they wanted, that is on Clay to have a brain to stay in bounds, he gained 5 yards, the run game averaged LESS than 2 yards a carry and they were stacking the box, it was a trust our QB with a safer throw and try and go for the kill, which NEVER happened during the Sparano play it safe error,

damed if you do damed if you dont with some fans

Joe Philbin has had awful game management in the last three weeks. Passing when they should be running, kicking when they should be punting. It is obvious he has a long way to before he is considered a positive factor in us winning games. He is no limited to no feel for the ebb and flow of the game.

Player have to execute, but he needs to do his job with the headset on.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

At what point does the team not being able to finish fall at his feet? What kind of culture has he created so that are so mentally weak?

I agree game management...with challenges, run v. pass, and 4th downs has been highly questionable

Was happy with both calls, Clay was clearly at fault for not staying in bounds, important he does actually learn from it. What is the point of getting into FG territory and not using your kicker, the thing I like most about the staff on game day is they are backing their players, they are giving their players a chance to succeed rather than the conservative BS Sparano did.

If they would have ran it for 1 or 2 yards, it would have been "Why arent they going for the kill! philbin is so conservative! might as well have Sparano playing it safe! play to win!"

Fact is they called a play that had worked most of the game and got what they wanted, that is on Clay to have a brain to stay in bounds, he gained 5 yards, the run game averaged LESS than 2 yards a carry and they were stacking the box, it was a trust our QB with a safer throw and try and go for the kill, which NEVER happened during the Sparano play it safe error,

damed if you do damed if you dont with some fans

With some fans, not with me. I was repeating run it before the snap. In this game I'd have felt the same way had Dalton gone 80 yards with 1:20 remaining and no TO's. He showed no signs of being able to dao that today.

Joe Philbin has had awful game management in the last three weeks. Passing when they should be running, kicking when they should be punting. It is obvious he has a long way to before he is considered a positive factor in us winning games. He is no limited to no feel for the ebb and flow of the game.

Player have to execute, but he needs to do his job with the headset on.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

At what point does the team not being able to finish fall at his feet? What kind of culture has he created so that are so mentally weak?
I have to disagree with much of this negativity toward Philbin's game management. The only call I didn't like was the 53 yd FG attempt - not in that situation. But the two other calls that went/are being heavily criticized from the past 2 weeks were the pass play in the AZ game w 2:58 remaining and the pass play to Clay today. Neither call bothered me. The execution bothered me. In the AZ game there was obviously a blown assignment that allowed the LB to jump on Tannehill before he stepped away from center. In fact, had that been a running play the LB might have tackled RT before he got to hand the ball off. I hated the outcome of that play - but not the call. Today, the pass to Clay was a good call. It was safe, high % and gave us a chance to get 9 yards. A running play (which Morono would have called) would have likely gained yard and taken the clock down - yes. The pass play to Clay SHOULD have accomplished the same thing - but the idiot ran out of bounds. That's not game management - that's "head up rear-end" syndrome by a player - we'll see if he ever does that again (Clay). Had he stayed in bounds, no one would be groaning about the calls. Perhaps I'm over-analyzing this because our game management was attrocious under Morono. I don't see Philbin using time outs just to "collect his thoughts" as his predecessor did. In fact, we are going into the end of halves and games with 2 or 3 TOs left. The last regime would burn them all in the first quarter. I like that Philbin is being aggressive and I also like the calls he's choosing to challenge - the refs got both wrong today - the fumble turned no fumble and the guy's heel AND hand hit the paint when he touched the punted ball. Didn't like the 53YD FG try - but overall we are far less predictable than we've been in a long time, which, given the lack of talent we have, I think is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom