Joe Philbin's post-season comments... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin's post-season comments...

claytonduper

Starter
Reaction score
I think we have ourselves a coach for some time. He is very well spoken and seems to get the big picture. Although some may feel that he micro-manages the team too much, I respect his attention to detail. I also feel better that he will be working with Jeff Ireland during the off-season in acquiring FA's and trough the draft.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ffseason/b2090c09-c0c8-4243-b971-dc718f34c5a9

Good read. I want April and June to come fast!!!

Sounds good. I like that he is so detailed and focused. Hopefully it translates to wins next season.

seems to always say the right things and I think he is the man that can get us back on track to the glory days

Love Philbin. If Tannehill is the QB we've been waiting for and Ireland can run hot for a few offseasons we could be poised to make a run.

Man, what a far cry from Sparano! Geez.....

Q. Can you talk about the need for more explosive firepower on offense?

JP: In simplistic terms we know we have to score more points so you have to get into scoring position. It’s harder to have 14-play drives. While they are great and you love to have them, there are a myriad of things that can go wrong in a 14-play drive. The easiest way to get into scoring position is to get takeaways on defense or big plays on offense. We have to create more big plays, whether it is by the run or the pass. We’re heading into the offseason knowing that.

I will say Philben says the right things but in the end talk is cheap. Im pulling for Philben but have a feeling by keeping Ireland we are setting him up for failure.

I will say Philben says the right things but in the end talk is cheap. Im pulling for Philben but have a feeling by keeping Ireland we are setting him up for failure.

I really get it, I do! But, at this point considering it's very obvious J.Ireland isn't going anywhere. Why don't Ireland haters just root for the guy to have a solid offseason and draft this year? In the long run doesn't that benefit everyone?

Are people really going to spend the entire offseason wishing for the guy to get fired?

As per your Philbin comment isn't the fact that he's saying the "right things" a absolute plus and all he can do at this juncture? Back-up the talk will have to wait until next season starts no?

Enjoy the moment folks!

Q. How closely will you work with Jeff Ireland in deciding which players to re-sign and what free agents to pursue?

JP: Jeff is very open. There is a big collaboration. You have to have that to be successful. I’m very much looking forward to working with Jeff during this process.

I really get it, I do! But, at this point considering it's very obvious J.Ireland isn't going anywhere. Why don't Ireland haters just root for the guy to have a solid offseason and draft this year? In the long run doesn't that benefit everyone?

Are people really going to spend the entire offseason wishing for the guy to get fired?

You can root for a guy all you want but if you dont think a guy has it in him, are u not just fooling yourself. There is nothing in Ireland's history here that suggests that he will do anything spectacular this offseason.
I mean just because its obvious that Ireland is not goijng to be fired after a 4th losing season in a row doesnt mean somehow our opinion of him should somehow improve.

Let me ask you this. If we ended up with John Beck as our backup next season and Tannehill went down. You would hope for the best but you would have a realistic expectation.
What about Ireland's history suggests I should have a high expectation for his free agency period and draft. Ireland has already contributed to one coach here losing his job, so by keeping him and possibly being forced to change Gm's next season, he could easily take Philben with him. I mean at that point if we have another losing season the owner may rationilize that he needs to make wholesale changes.
I dont understand why some people act like you shouldnt base your opinion of what Ireland will do, based on what he has done. Not one fan here is hoping he wastes more draft picks and more money but to many that is the expectation based on their opinion of his body of work. Some people act like some fans just have an irrational hate for our gm. We have had the same guy as Gm for 5 years now, we have had time to form somewhat valid opinions.

My greatest concern (aside from Jeff Ireland) is the fact that we have a stronger schedule next year and despite improvement in the staff and players next year, we might have a similar record and/or worse. However, if we do "man up" and win some of those games against playoff teams, then we might finally be there.

Q. How closely will you work with Jeff Ireland in deciding which players to re-sign and what free agents to pursue?

JP: Jeff is very open. There is a big collaboration. You have to have that to be successful. I’m very much looking forward to working with Jeff during this process.

My question for you is what do you expect him to say.

Jeff Ireland after we gave Sparano an extension
"We did our due diligence in an effort to improve this organization," said Ireland, reading a statement. "In the beginning and the end of all this, I believe Tony Sparano is the right coach for this team. I've always felt that. That has never changed."

Steve Ross after giving sparano an extension
"The emphasis is going to be on offense -- an exciting offense, a more aggressive offense, creative," Ross said. "I will deliver a winner. That is my commitment.

Tony sparano after his extension
"Jeff and I have agreed not to agree a bunch of times," Sparano said. "Sometimes there's smoke coming from that office. If there's not, it's not healthy. It needs to happen.
"At the end of this whole thing, we'll keep communicating, and it's going to be fine. We're going to try to do the best thing for this franchise together. That's the way it has to be -- together."

and my favorite piece of BS ever.
Instead of offering Harbaugh a job, Ross said, he gave advice.

Imo, Ireland had his best draft last year and I believe Philbin's influence had a lot to do with that. I think they will do good things this offseason.
also, if you only judge people by their past performance, you should expect Matt Ryan to fall flat on his face this weekend

Back
Top Bottom