Joe Philbin's post-season comments...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by claytonduper, Jan 9, 2013.

1. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I think we have ourselves a coach for some time. He is very well spoken and seems to get the big picture. Although some may feel that he micro-manages the team too much, I respect his attention to detail. I also feel better that he will be working with Jeff Ireland during the off-season in acquiring FA's and trough the draft.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ffseason/b2090c09-c0c8-4243-b971-dc718f34c5a9

2. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

Good read. I want April and June to come fast!!!

3. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I love me some Joe Philbin.

4. rustycage

rustycage Rookie

I really like the guy. Hope he has success here.

5. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Sounds good. I like that he is so detailed and focused. Hopefully it translates to wins next season.

6. maso3348

maso3348 Scout Team

seems to always say the right things and I think he is the man that can get us back on track to the glory days

7. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Love Philbin. If Tannehill is the QB we've been waiting for and Ireland can run hot for a few offseasons we could be poised to make a run.

8. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Man, what a far cry from Sparano! Geez.....

Q. Can you talk about the need for more explosive firepower on offense?

JP: In simplistic terms we know we have to score more points so you have to get into scoring position. It’s harder to have 14-play drives. While they are great and you love to have them, there are a myriad of things that can go wrong in a 14-play drive. The easiest way to get into scoring position is to get takeaways on defense or big plays on offense. We have to create more big plays, whether it is by the run or the pass. We’re heading into the offseason knowing that.

9. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I will say Philben says the right things but in the end talk is cheap. Im pulling for Philben but have a feeling by keeping Ireland we are setting him up for failure.

10. ANUFan

I really get it, I do! But, at this point considering it's very obvious J.Ireland isn't going anywhere. Why don't Ireland haters just root for the guy to have a solid offseason and draft this year? In the long run doesn't that benefit everyone?

Are people really going to spend the entire offseason wishing for the guy to get fired?

As per your Philbin comment isn't the fact that he's saying the "right things" a absolute plus and all he can do at this juncture? Back-up the talk will have to wait until next season starts no?

Enjoy the moment folks!

11. ANUFan

Q. How closely will you work with Jeff Ireland in deciding which players to re-sign and what free agents to pursue?

JP: Jeff is very open. There is a big collaboration. You have to have that to be successful. I’m very much looking forward to working with Jeff during this process.

12. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You can root for a guy all you want but if you dont think a guy has it in him, are u not just fooling yourself. There is nothing in Ireland's history here that suggests that he will do anything spectacular this offseason.
    I mean just because its obvious that Ireland is not goijng to be fired after a 4th losing season in a row doesnt mean somehow our opinion of him should somehow improve.

Let me ask you this. If we ended up with John Beck as our backup next season and Tannehill went down. You would hope for the best but you would have a realistic expectation.
    What about Ireland's history suggests I should have a high expectation for his free agency period and draft. Ireland has already contributed to one coach here losing his job, so by keeping him and possibly being forced to change Gm's next season, he could easily take Philben with him. I mean at that point if we have another losing season the owner may rationilize that he needs to make wholesale changes.
    I dont understand why some people act like you shouldnt base your opinion of what Ireland will do, based on what he has done. Not one fan here is hoping he wastes more draft picks and more money but to many that is the expectation based on their opinion of his body of work. Some people act like some fans just have an irrational hate for our gm. We have had the same guy as Gm for 5 years now, we have had time to form somewhat valid opinions.

13. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

My greatest concern (aside from Jeff Ireland) is the fact that we have a stronger schedule next year and despite improvement in the staff and players next year, we might have a similar record and/or worse. However, if we do "man up" and win some of those games against playoff teams, then we might finally be there.

14. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

My question for you is what do you expect him to say.

Jeff Ireland after we gave Sparano an extension
    "We did our due diligence in an effort to improve this organization," said Ireland, reading a statement. "In the beginning and the end of all this, I believe Tony Sparano is the right coach for this team. I've always felt that. That has never changed."

Steve Ross after giving sparano an extension
    "The emphasis is going to be on offense -- an exciting offense, a more aggressive offense, creative," Ross said. "I will deliver a winner. That is my commitment.

Tony sparano after his extension
    "Jeff and I have agreed not to agree a bunch of times," Sparano said. "Sometimes there's smoke coming from that office. If there's not, it's not healthy. It needs to happen.
    "At the end of this whole thing, we'll keep communicating, and it's going to be fine. We're going to try to do the best thing for this franchise together. That's the way it has to be -- together."

and my favorite piece of BS ever.
    Instead of offering Harbaugh a job, Ross said, he gave advice.

15. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Imo, Ireland had his best draft last year and I believe Philbin's influence had a lot to do with that. I think they will do good things this offseason.
    also, if you only judge people by their past performance, you should expect Matt Ryan to fall flat on his face this weekend

16. ANUFan

This could just be plain ol naivety on my part, But everything I've read and heard suggest the Irleand last offseason and especially this offseason doing the signing of FA and the Draft isn't the same one under the Sparano era. I don't think anyone would disagree Top to Bottom we have a much much better coaching staff and those familiar with winning! What it takes to win and more importantly the players required to do so! Think about the GRAVITY of that? IF Ireland took input on who to sign in FA and the Draft it was from Tony Sporano and David Deboll? DO YOU GET THAT? Do either of those "coaches" from their experiences here and after seem to have a clue on what talent is? How to identify talent? and cultivate it?

I have no doubt that this Offseason and Draft will be a collaborative effort.I like everyone else may not have the biggest belief in Ireland individuall, But w/ a big input from "this" coaching staff I more than comfortable and excited at whats getting ready to take place.

17. ANUFan

If you going to put Philibins pulse on what's going on! What needs to happen in the going forward and How best to accomplish that in the same League as Sporano! Then, we really have nothing to discuss.

Our foundation clearly are on different materials!

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

This schedule thing is always interesting! It always assumes those teams will be just as good as they've been the previous season and from my observation, that's usually not the case.

18. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Judging a player by 3 playoff games is hardly alot of history. judging a gm by 5 years is quite different. Im not one of those people that believe that a player that has shown he can get it done during the regular season somehow cannot get it done during the playoffs.

19. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The staff is better in some areas. I dont think we have a better defensive staff but we have a better offensive staff. Every gm takes input from his coaches but ultimately the blame for players signed and drafted falls on the GM.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

My point was out of both sparano and ireland's mouth they had a good working relationship. I still dont get why I should have any faith in a gm that has done little to inspire faith

20. ANUFan

You shouldn't as a matter of fact since its clearly obvious you don't believe we will be a better team next season under this defensive staff and more importantly this GM. It's only logical to either not support/watch/engage in this team or to find another team for 2013. After-all I'm assuming "LOGIC" is what your going by considering your other post?

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

This is for u also Anu. Why didnt Ireland address a major need like Wr last year in the draft or free agency or even trade. He created a hole but made no attempt to fill it.

22. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

So Im supposed to stop being a fan just because I dont agree with the direction. Didnt realized thats how being a fan worked so just turn it off okay. who cares about the years I have invested in my team and that I want them to win ok

23. rent this space

if you're going back 5 years, do you have to give Ireland credit for a division championship?

24. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

of course I do along with the four losing seasons that followed. not a good tradeoff in my opinion

25. ANUFan

SOOOOO you think investing in a company that you feel has a bad owner, bad vision, bad personnel and bad managerial staff makes sense?Furthermore, Because of all the "money" all these years, you've "already invested?" Yep, your right! I must be the crazy, illogical one.

26. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

So do I. Its been frikkin frigid here... not to mention the inversion like in LA..... only worse.

Seriously, JP sounds like the anti-Sparano.

27. rent this space

I find it interesting that you believe Jeff Ireland can't do what he has already done, but have faith that Matt Ryan can do what he has never done.
    yes, we saw the Dolphins decline from '09 to '11 but they reversed the trend this year.
    Do you believe the 2012 team was better than 2011?

28. z926538

z926538 Rookie

I won't try to speak for other members, but when I "invested" in this franchise they had a great owner (Joe Robbie), a great GM (Bobby Betheard), a great coach (Don Shula), and great personnel (72 and 73 Dolphins). I mourn over what the follow-on owners, GMs, coaches and players have done to this once proud franchise.

29. j-off-her-doll

When you pick a team, you don't drop it just because of rough times. Surely, this is a joke?

30. DANTODUPER

DANTODUPER Scout Team

31. j-off-her-doll

32. Yamilo

Yamilo Starter

Dlockz, while i agree with you in every sense of thw word, COME ON! You spelled sparano's name correctly and yet philbin's name wrong! Dudeeeeeee

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Hmm the Miami dolphins are not Stephen Ross he is just the owner. I dont have favorite teams based on the owner. I have been a dolphin fan my whole life and will never change but doesnt mean I have to think the people running it are doing a good job. Hell Stephen Ross is 72 he will be dead and gone one day and I will still be a fan. I dont give one flying f about Stephen Ross except the way he handles my team and so far i dont like it.Huzeienga may have not been a great owner but he always got exactly who he wanted to run his team and at least we didnt lose every season of his ownership. If huzienga had wanted Harbaugh he would have got harbaugh you can guarantee that

34. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Not really we won one more game but we lost alot of close ones last year. I think we have been basically the same team the last 4 years. Defense was not better this year and really the offense was not better.
    As for Matt Ryan he has won 13 games in a season two years ina row so he has proven he can win games. If we had won 10 games this season and missed the playoffs with actual improvement yes I would have faith that Ireland might be better. I dont see how the two compare. Ryan has put his team in position to win playoff games the past two years while Ireland keeps building 7-9 teams. Seriously tell me u will be shocked if the Falcons win their playoff game this week lol. i mean what about a qb that has won 26 games in two years would lead u to believe that he is incapable of winning a playoff game at all compared with me doubting a gm that has built 4 straight losing teams and got his coach fired

35. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

^^^THANK YOU FOR THIS^^^ :clap:

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

37. rent this space

Aren't you the guy that says you can learn about a man by looking at his history? Well, history shows Jeff Ireland can build a payoff team and Matt Ryan sucks in the playoffs. Fortunes can change but Ryan has been in 3 playoff games after 10+ win seasons and was absolutely dismal in all 3. Would I be shocked if he wins this weekend? Of course not, he is one of the most talented QB's in the league and he is way overdue. But let me ask- would you be shocked if he stunk up the joint? If history is your guide, you should almost expect it.
    I believe the Dolphins are in better team than last year, no way last year's team beats the Bengals and Seahawks on the road. plus they are in a better position for both free agency and the draft

38. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I would be shocked if he stunk up the joint because in reality he hasnt played at the same level but lets not act like he goes into playoffs and throws like 3 int each game. As for last years team they almost went into NE week 16 and beat NE who is much better than either of those teams and they beat the jets in the last game of the year unlike this years team that didnt even show up for the final game in NE this year.
    We are better in two aspects this year special teams and pass protection but wr is much weaker as is corner. I dont see this years team as so much better than last years.

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Also if Irleand had built a playoff team we would not have been losing for 4 years afterward. He did build a team that went to playoffs once in 5 years while having a losing record the other 4.

39. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I'd love for him to prove me wrong. Unfortunately, there is almost nothing in the past that gives me any hope that it will happen.

40. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

What moment are we enjoying exactly we were 7-9 is there something I missed

41. state06

state06 A True Fan

I want to see Jeff put talent around ryan on O and get the talent to compete for a chance to win our division on D. It is alot to ask but we have lots of ammunition this offseason in terms of $ and picks.

My philosophy is to build to win your division. We are built right now to beat NYJ and BUF, we match up almost perfectly against both, what we need is more of a consistant pass rush and improved DB play. In the first three rounds i would like us to come out with 3 of these 4 positions of need WR TE CB, DE. The talent will be there, we just have to hit on the right guys.

42. rent this space

I didn't know we were counting "almost" wins. This year's team almost beat the Patriots in the first game. The also almost beat the Colts. So that's 2 almost wins and 2 real wins against playoff teams. How many wins did the 2011 team get against playoff teams?

43. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Finally we have someone with a brain as a Head Coach....haven't seen that since Jimmy (or Saban) was here. Wanny was/is a dope....Cam was a buttercup/not a leader....Sparano was clueless and was handed the job by his friend Parcells, etc....

44. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I wasnt countin almost wins I was saying they had basically the same record but playing tough at NE is impressive almost win or not. They led NE 17-0 at half . Although the score seems close in our first game with ne , it wasnt close. We never once was in danger of winning that game. It only looked close because we kicked a field goal with like a minute left but at no point did we have a chance to win. We are basically the same team we have been for the last 4 years basically 7-9

45. rent this space

sorry, almost winning against a good team is not the same as actually winning against one. also, the Dolphins scored late in last year's game to make it close but were never in danger of winning that one either.
    imo, coming back from 14 points down in the 4th quarter and beating a team playing this weekend is much more impressive. it is also something last year's team could not do.
    bottom line: in 2012 they won more and they won the type of games that the 2011 team didn't. they are also in better shape for the offseason with a ton of money and extra picks. they have a legit QB, a coach with a clue and a direction, all things they didn't have 12 months ago. definitely not "basically the same"