Jonnu Smith visits Miami | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonnu Smith visits Miami

Jonnu has struggled in Tennessee, NE, and even Altlanta. But the Falcons had Kyle Pitts, and Drake London, and of course Robinson. Jonnu had a breakout year in the forest of overgrown wide receivers, I just wonder if he becomes the TE1 in Miami, whether he will go back to being Jonnu. I wouldn't break the bank and not have a backup plan at TE1; if we get him for cheap great!
As pointed out above, Jonnu excelled in Tenn. when AJ Brown was there, not so much when he was called upon to be "the guy", and when your next two QB's are a step or three DOWN from Tannehill, then WTF is that man supposed to do, throw it to his damn self?

If we can get him to sign, Smith is the starter at TE1, with Smythe as the TE2 (mostly as a blocker) and Hill as first man up.

At that point, a 4th TE would mostly be for special teams and disaster management... Tanner Conner gets first crack at that.

I know that a lot of people wanted one of the top 3 TEs in the draft, but if Jonnu signs... there are no snaps for a highly drafted rookie... which would make the pick a complete waste.

Which is why mocks in February are for entertainment only

If he won't cost us much money then he could be a decent signing as another pass catching option which we need. Call my cynical but I am not believeing the Julian Hill hype.

Thats a good sign that he had 50 receptions last year competing for targets with Kyle Pitts on their roster.

I looked at Overthecap.com and we are still about $18.8M over the cap. We have to clear at least that much cap space by March 13. We have to clear a lot more if we actually want to be active in Free Agency.

We won't get the benefit of X's $18.5M in cap space until after June 1 which will be used to sign our draft class and do some shopping on the Free Agent clearance rack.
They can make that 18+ million just by reworking Tua's contract alone this weekend.

He would be an immediate upgrade over Durham Smythe at TE1 and likely won't cost much. Miami's gonna be bargain shopping until the cap situation is resolved
He is not as good of a blocker as Smythe. I think the distinction between TE1 v TE2 is nebulous at best in that scenario.

12 personnel would be interesting.

Durham Smythe is a very good blocking TE. Remember that the Mike McDaniel system likes a TE that can block well. Yes, it would be great to find a George Kittle who is a great blocker and a good pass catcher, but that's not happening.
You see Jonnu Smith as a big upgrade on Durham but I don't know about that. Best opportunities for an upgrade will be in the Draft, eg the uber-athletic Ben Sinnott.
Apparently he's a red zone weapon also

Back
Top Bottom