Jonnu Smith visits Miami | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonnu Smith visits Miami

Looking over some of his stats:

His first few years in Tennessee were usual rookie TE low output numbers. Yeah 4 was the explosion. That year 4 (2020) roster had AJ Brown at WR, but the rest were Corey Davis, Adam Humphries, Nick Westbrook, etc. Nothing spectacular outside of Brown. Corey Davis had a career year (984 yds/5 TDs) and AJ Brown rocked (1,075 yds/11 TDs).

2020 in Tennessee was the career year for Jonnu Smith (448 yds/8 TDs).
TN in 2020 was the 3rd ranked Total Offense and the 23rd ranked Passing Offense.

2021 and 2022 were two duds in New England. (294 yds/1TD & 245yds /0 TD).
NE in 2021 was the 15th ranked Total Offense and 14th ranked Passing Offense.
NE in 2022 was the 26th ranked Total Offense and 20th ranked Passing Offense.

2023 in Atlanta saw a career high in REC Yards (582 yds/3 TDs).
Atlanta in 2023 was the 17th ranked Total Offense and the 22nd ranked Passing Offense.

Miami in 2023 was 1st in both categories.
Durham Smythe had 366 yds / 0 Tds last year.

In Miami, I could see Jonnu Smith bringing in 400 yds receiving. He has tremendous YAC for a TE, but I still don't see a whole lot more yards than Smythe just because Hill and Waddle gobble up so many. But where I think he would shine is those RZ TDs. His career year in Tennessee = them having the 3rd ranked Total Offense. They got the ball down near the RZ a lot. Even with AJ Brown in the mix snagging 11 TDs that year, Smith still brought down 8 of them himself. Not to mention Derrick Henry claiming 17 as well.

Jonnu Smith is 28. Older, little slower. But I think he would be a tremendous RZ option for Tua in this offense. A 6'3" 250 lb safety net that has shown in the right offense he can get you a lot of TDs at TE.
If he hasn't started his age-based decline (doesn't look like he has), he'd be a fantastic grab IMO. Dude has made tough, clutch catches on many occasions...I'm always onboard for that.

Every owner has it, it’s irrelevant.

Cap space is the problem.
But is it really, just look how we're dealing with it. I think the danger going down that hole to far. My hope is that were climbing out of that hole right now.

I am impressed by some of Smith's stats but...If he was so good in Tennessee why did they let him go? Without a true WR1 drawing coverage away can he get open? As a FF guy I find Jonnu very frustrating. I drafted him when he went to NE and he was terrible. I watched him go off in Atlanta but all of the players on their offense were wildly unpredictable due to mind boggling play calling and player rotation. They fired their coach. Did Jonnu Run-After-the-Catch like Kittle or Deebo or did the defense drop coverage and he ran extra 50 yards with no-one there? There have to be some warts here, he is looking for team #4 in 6 years (Brandin Cooks?). Smith is never mentioned as a top TE even in FF where all they care about is stats. I like the idea of kicking the tires for cheap but I don't hand him the keys to the TE room.

Last edited:
I am impressed by some of Smith's stats but...If he was so good in Tennessee why did they let him go? Without a true WR1 drawing coverage away can he get open? As a FF guy I find Jonnu very frustrating. I drafted him when he went to NE and he was terrible. I watched him go off in Atlanta but all of the players on their offense were wildly unpredictable due to mind boggling play calling and player rotation. They fired their coach. Did Jonnu Run-After-the-Catch like Kittle or Deebo or did the defense drop coverage and he ran extra 50 yards with no-one there? There have to be some warts here, he is looking for team #4 in 6 years (Brandon Cooks?) Smith is never mentioned as a top TE even in FF where all they care about is stats. I like the idea of kicking the tires for cheap but I don't hand him the keys to the TE room.

Exactly. I hope that this isnt Griers plan at TE ....but rather another tool in the box (weve signed people in FA at TE before like this early only to dump them in TC)....and should an opportunity arise in the draft, he takes it rather than saying 'Nah, we've got Smith we are good there' 🤦‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom