Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp

Most of us already knew the kid was raw coming in. He does have some upside, especially as a pass rusher.

I was pretty excited when we drafted him last year after watching some of his games. Great prospect.

[video=youtube_share;UPDjZMmVRIE]http://youtu.be/UPDjZMmVRIE[/video]

There is no Kaddu highlight video on youtube, so I found this one where it shows some plays he was in for the Ducks. He's the fast, tall, lanky guy coming off the line, usually on the left side. No. 56

this seems like a last ditch effort to save an nfl career...as a lb kaddus not very instinctual...so i can see why they want to try something else...but at 242 lbs even while kaddu was explosive and pretty quick twitch he's very straight linish does not have good hips...has a problem opening his hips and redirecting...

case in point the titans game...kaddu is at the los in an overload pressure set where he is unaccounted for he's clean to the backfield and qb and no help player to step up in pass pro and take him on and he comes in full bore and can't open his hips and redirect and flatten to the qb jake locker takes one subtle step forward kaddu overruns the play and is left grasping at air and lockers off and into our secondary in that voided hole on the outside that kaddu left for a like 30 yard run gain...

after that play i don't think i ever saw kaddu rush again all season...

so basically you got a plus athlete with stiff hips who's best in a straight line and lacks any rush arsenal or polish to beat nfl tackles on the outside...seems like a camp cut to me unless he is a monster on specials...and those 10 lbs they want him to gain aren't gonna help him lose any of that stiffness and may effect his burst and explosion...

In that same article is that the Dolphins are yet still looking to add another DT? And with the interest in signing Osi Umenyiora and that they will be moving Kaddu and potentially Koa Misi to DE and Olivier Vernon in the mix as well, I think the handwriting is on the wall that we will likely see Odrick moved on draft night. Maybe in a trade up. There are a number of teams who are switching to a 3-4 or have a need for.......a 3-4 DE, which is what Odrick naturally is. I can't see Odrick who had what 5 sacks still here if they are trying to add Umenyiora and moving Kaddu and Misi to rush End in nickel "and" adding a DT. What kind of playing time would that leave for Odrick? I think he's being moved on draft night, along with Davone Bess and possibly Thomas.

why does this team want to keep screwing with koa misis career...the guys has already shown that he can't beat nfl tackles consistently as a standup olb in a 34 he rescued his career as a solb in a 43 although he was a bit of a liability in coverage and at times missed his assignments or was late to read and dx plays in that regard...

a move to a 43 de with misi is another way to get less bang for your buck...keep him as a 43 solb...where his strength at the poa the and the strength in his hands can show the most...and with wheeler and ellerbe we are gonna need as much as we can get...

on passing downs unless you plan on rushing him you can pull him off the field for a better carry coverage down field athlete

this seems like a last ditch effort to save an nfl career...as a lb kaddus not very instinctual...so i can see why they want to try something else...but at 242 lbs even while kaddu was explosive and pretty quick twitch he's very straight linish does not have good hips...has a problem opening his hips and redirecting...

case in point the titans game...kaddu is at the los in an overload pressure set where he is unaccounted for he's clean to the backfield and qb and no help player to step up in pass pro and take him on and he comes in full bore and can't open his hips and redirect and flatten to the qb jake locker takes one subtle step forward kaddu overruns the play and is left grasping at air and lockers off and into our secondary in that voided hole on the outside that kaddu left for a like 30 yard run gain...

after that play i don't think i ever saw kaddu rush again all season...

so basically you got a plus athlete with stiff hips who's best in a straight line and lacks any rush arsenal or polish to beat nfl tackles on the outside...seems like a camp cut to me unless he is a monster on specials...and those 10 lbs they want him to gain aren't gonna help him lose any of that stiffness and may effect his burst and explosion...

It could very well mean that we plan on using a hybrid Defense between the 4-3 and 3-4 too. They have alluded to "wanting to change the Defense" and went ahead and added two more blitzing types at LB and there have been reports that Misi will be used "differently"....so with Kaddu and Misi being tried out in some 3-4 alignments as WOLB/SOLB maybe. ..

I found it interesting that instead of going cheaper and moving Odrick to DT and signing a pass rushing DE, they chose to spend on keeping Starks "also". Both Starks and Soliai can move in to NT in a 3-4 if need be and it gives us flexibility to chsnge it up throughout the game and Odrick slides over to 3-4 DE with Solia at NT and Starks at the other DE spot wth Wake and say Kaddu or Vernon on the other side then switch back to 4-3 and vice versa.

It could very well mean that we plan on using a hybrid Defense between the 4-3 and 3-4 too. They have alluded to "wanting to change the Defense" and went ahead and added two more blitzing types at LB and there have been reports that Misi will be used "differently"....so with Kaddu and Misi being tried out in some 3-4 alignments as WOLB/SOLB maybe. ..

the problem is every one of these lbs need to be clean to get rush pressure...wheeler is not a guy that will go thru someone to the qb ellerbe is a clean run to the ball guy misi as a edge rusher showed a bit more this year than years prior on the edge at times but is also a guy you want to blitz and scheme for clean looks...none of these guys is a win edge rusher against a tackle...kaddu the same...

so yeah they may want to get more pressure with the lbs well the way to do that is design packages and schemes that the offense can't account for a guy as a edge rusher at lb like an overload set against an empty backfield or a delayed zone blitz etc taking advantage of interior linemen not having their heads on a swivel...

the problem is every one of these lbs need to be clean to get rush pressure...wheeler is not a guy that will go thru someone to the qb ellerbe is a clean run to the ball guy misi as a edge rusher showed a bit more this year than years prior on the edge at times but is also a guy you want to blitz and scheme for clean looks...none of these guys is a win edge rusher against a tackle...kaddu the same...

so yeah they may want to get more pressure with the lbs well the way to do that is design packages and schemes that the offense can't account for a guy as a edge rusher at lb like an overload set against an empty backfield or a delayed zone blitz etc taking advantage of interior linemen not having their heads on a swivel...

I agree. Ellerbe or Wheeler would move ILB when sliding into the 3-4 alignments and Wake, Vernon, or say Kaddu (if this experiment works of course) to the other OLB spot. Then Umenyiora jumps back in and Wake back to DE in the 4-3.

Most of us already knew the kid was raw coming in. He does have some upside, especially as a pass rusher.

I was pretty excited when we drafted him last year after watching some of his games. Great prospect.

[video=youtube_share;UPDjZMmVRIE]http://youtu.be/UPDjZMmVRIE[/video]

There is no Kaddu highlight video on youtube, so I found this one where it shows some plays he was in for the Ducks. He's the fast, tall, lanky guy coming off the line, usually on the left side. No. 56

Just watched this whole thing....unless I am going blind, Kaddu did not make one play at all. No tackles, no pass deflections, no interceptions, nothing. He was always late to the pile. Seriously, watch the vid, they don't call his name one time.

Not promising at all.

Might do him good, I remember David Martin was told to gain weight to play tight end, and he did a pretty good job for us.

if i'm miami and i add a osi to the dline rotation who can rush not only at end but shifted inside in the nickle if i'm gonna take a guy and make him a rush lb that guy would be olivier vernon...he's the one guy i think can go thru people and has enough going for him as a an edge rusher that in certain packages i'd rush him as a stand up lb...

his snaps at de are gonna take a hit if you add osi so why not get the most bang for your buck with an explosive move athlete and strength in his hands player...the one thing we have to understand though is like misi when the opposition can scheme and catch him in coverage there is gonna be a learning curve there and he's gonna be late at times picking up his responsibilites...but he's the one i'd rush as a lb at times of the de's...

i don't agree with we should trade odrick not when at best you get a 3rd round pick for him but i don't think i'm a big fan of him dropping weight to play end either...he's a 43 dt ideally a penetration and gap shooter on the inside where his lateral agility and strength in his hands can overwhelm interior linemen and with solia and starks coming up again next year (my guess being this is starks last year as a dolphin) you have a 43 dt waiting in the wings to take over...

keep odrick just don't give him so many pass rush snaps at de where in space his burst and explosion is pretty average...and he can't close from that far out to the qb

I'd keep Odrick too. But now why this interest in "adding a DT"? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd keep Odrick too. But now why this interest in "adding a DT"? Just doesn't make sense to me.

being proactive for when they likely lose at least one next offseason...pretty critical position...must keep the mike backer and these light backers clean

tell him to drink a gallon of milk a day for about a month. He will gain solid weight (7-20 lbs) and will burn the fat he gained from it by the end of Mini Camp

That's Horrible for you. Milk is for calves. These pro athletes have physicians that know the healthy way to put on lean mass.

Back
Top Bottom