Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp

No offense to you, but you probably shouldn't be estimating Cameron Wake's weight by comparing his bulk to yours unless you're a professional body builder or something. Which perhaps you are.

Bruce Irvin is not a good run defender, I agree. I tend to doubt he ever will be one, but he at least has some weight to him (not bulk, though) and enough fight and quickness so he doesn't get pancaked every time he's run at. If I were the Seahawks, though, I'd think twice before trying to bulk him up enough to be an every down player. He's another Fred Dean, the spectacular if somewhat forgotten prototype for today's nickel rusher, who began his career with San Diego before helping the 49ers win at least one Super Bowl (he sacked Marino at least once in the '84 game). He rode that role to a recent Hall of Fame induction. Irvin is the same kind of player, and that's all he should be. I was really hoping he would make it to our 2nd last year but cest la vie.

I agree with Bumpus in that my main reaction to this nugget is to shrug my shoulders and say "okay, we'll see what comes from that." These position switches usually don't work. As Awsi Dooger might say, people who become great at something generally don't start doing that thing this late in their athletic careers. I certainly doubt the Dolphins consider his position switch as anything that's going to alter their draft or free agency plans one iota. If he shows promise (meaning, he clearly out performs Olivier Vernon) he'll make the team and some free agent will be a surprise cut, like Westerman last year. If he doesn't then he'll probably get cut, given I expect us to add another DE by free agency, trade or the draft (and we shouldn't forget about Derrick Shelby, who made the team as an UDFA and arguably out performed Vernon at DE).

It's one of those positions where we have a lot of people which means we have no one. Every one of the guys auditioning for the role opposite Wake (I expect Odrick to be kicked inside) is absolutely fighting for their professional lives. Vernon gets the early nod to be safe given his draft position (and special teams prowess), but even he's not guaranteed anything.

Like the Fred Dean comparison, Randy Cross said he used to ask him if he was going to work out today and said Fred would just sit in the locker room and smoke cigarettes haha... but I'm not gonna be confused with Arnold by any means but I am a college football player (actually right now I'm in between schools taking classes at a CC) and I am pretty lean at 235.. But they lie on the players weights. I think Jared Allen is listed at 270 but he said a year or 2 ago he plays at 255. But I would say that Wake is at least 250 and probably no more than 262

I hope we keep Odrick. He is a good run defender in 4-3 alignments and the majority of his snaps are at DT in nickel package. Defenses play nickel 50-70% of the game nowadays. Inside rushers are rare and I think he is a big reason why our run defense is so stout (mainly Paul and Starks in the middle tho). I don't see the need to start Osi over Odrick in our base D. That is, if we sign Osi. I like a starting 4-3 DL of Wake Soliai Starks and Odrick. But in Nickel Wake Odrick Starks and Osi could wreak some havoc on Brady!!!

tell him to drink a gallon of milk a day for about a month. He will gain solid weight (7-20 lbs) and will burn the fat he gained from it by the end of Mini Camp

Sounds like a "very healthy" way of going about it
16,800 grams of Cholesterol
57,600 grams of sodium
3,800 grams of fat
5,280 grams of sugar
3,800 grams of protein
72,000 calories

if i'm miami and i add a osi to the dline rotation who can rush not only at end but shifted inside in the nickle if i'm gonna take a guy and make him a rush lb that guy would be olivier vernon...he's the one guy i think can go thru people and has enough going for him as a an edge rusher that in certain packages i'd rush him as a stand up lb...

his snaps at de are gonna take a hit if you add osi so why not get the most bang for your buck with an explosive move athlete and strength in his hands player...the one thing we have to understand though is like misi when the opposition can scheme and catch him in coverage there is gonna be a learning curve there and he's gonna be late at times picking up his responsibilites...but he's the one i'd rush as a lb at times of the de's...

i don't agree with we should trade odrick not when at best you get a 3rd round pick for him but i don't think i'm a big fan of him dropping weight to play end either...he's a 43 dt ideally a penetration and gap shooter on the inside where his lateral agility and strength in his hands can overwhelm interior linemen and with solia and starks coming up again next year (my guess being this is starks last year as a dolphin) you have a 43 dt waiting in the wings to take over...

keep odrick just don't give him so many pass rush snaps at de where in space his burst and explosion is pretty average...and he can't close from that far out to the qb

Yeah, for me Odrick moves inside, which creates one need but doesn't satisfy another. The need it creates is a run down guy at DE. We still need a pass rusher opposite Wake just as we did last year.

The run down thing I think we can do by rotation. Derrick Shelby is a good run defender. People forget him but he did some good work last year. Olivier Vernon imo is a better run defender right now than pass rusher.

I have my doubts about both of them as pass rushers, though. Both are high effort guys who can get effort sacks, but I'm not seeing edge rush potential of any kind from Shelby (strictly an effort guy), and Vernon right now has some potential but it's just that. Kaddu is a candidate strictly for the nickel role. He's obviously not going to be a run defender, but he might possibly be the guy who can satisfy that need as a pass rusher.

Which goes back to Osi and John Abraham, both of whom would be brought here strictly for pass rushing. That's who Kaddu would be competing with if one was brought in. And given the fact that you probably would end up paying either one of those guys some kind of guaranteed deal, Kaddu would be facing one hell of an uphill climb. I wonder if he's eligible for the practice squad, honestly. He could turn into another Eric Walden for us.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Moving Kaddu leaves us even thinner at linebacker. Spitler, Trusnik and Jonathan Freeny are the pits as far as backups are concerned. I'd count on us taking a linebacker somewhere in the first three rounds of this draft. Word is the Dolphins are hot for Kaddu's Oregon teammate Kiko Alonso. They did the same "dinner/pro day" dance with him they did with Reshad and Tannehill before we drafted them.

tell him to drink a gallon of milk a day for about a month. He will gain solid weight (7-20 lbs) and will burn the fat he gained from it by the end of Mini Camp

GOMAD is absolutely terrible and should only be done by high school kids with ridiculous metabolism. Not to mention the Dolphins employ nutritionists/dieticians who could get far more precise macronutrient plans for him to ingest rather than "A gallon of whole milk a day."

Don't forget about the squats and dead lifts or that diet will just make you fat.

GOMAD is absolutely terrible and should only be done by high school kids with ridiculous metabolism. Not to mention the Dolphins employ nutritionists/dieticians who could get far more precise macronutrient plans for him to ingest rather than "A gallon of whole milk a day."

worked for me.. but then again I was 19....

Yeah, for me Odrick moves inside, which creates one need but doesn't satisfy another. The need it creates is a run down guy at DE. We still need a pass rusher opposite Wake just as we did last year.

The run down thing I think we can do by rotation. Derrick Shelby is a good run defender. People forget him but he did some good work last year. Olivier Vernon imo is a better run defender right now than pass rusher....

AWESOME Sig, Walrus! Burning Jets -- even got "Fireman Ed" in there, watching his beloved Jets burn, lol. Exquisite! lol

LD

In that same article is that the Dolphins are yet still looking to add another DT? And with the interest in signing Osi Umenyiora and that they will be moving Kaddu and potentially Koa Misi to DE and Olivier Vernon in the mix as well, I think the handwriting is on the wall that we will likely see Odrick moved on draft night. Maybe in a trade up. There are a number of teams who are switching to a 3-4 or have a need for.......a 3-4 DE, which is what Odrick naturally is. I can't see Odrick who had what 5 sacks still here if they are trying to add Umenyiora and moving Kaddu and Misi to rush End in nickel "and" adding a DT. What kind of playing time would that leave for Odrick? I think he's being moved on draft night, along with Davone Bess and possibly Thomas.

I don't think anyone is trading for Thomas.

I don't think anyone is trading for Thomas.

I agree. But I also don't think we're moving him. He's the only proven pass blocker we have at running back. I'd be shocked if he was cut or traded.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Also, FWIW I would not be surprised to see us take Tank Carradine with our first round pick.

Just watched this whole thing....unless I am going blind, Kaddu did not make one play at all. No tackles, no pass deflections, no interceptions, nothing. He was always late to the pile. Seriously, watch the vid, they don't call his name one time.

Not promising at all.

He was the skinny guy that was on the left side most of the time. In that video he made like 2 tackles and kept putting pressure on the QB from his side. He also covered the TE a few times.

Not a surprising development. That's what he should've been playing all along in addition to special teams.

You think he has any actual potential there?

Probably not. But it's where he needs to be.

The reason I was never that confident in the pick is because he was a classic "puzzle pieces don't fit" kind of guy. That's how I look at draft prospect. The pieces have to fit.

He was a sack guy but he got those sacks as more of a blitzer than as a pass rusher, which points you toward linebacker instead of true defensive end pass rusher. On the other hand, he was bad in coverage and showed no real ability there, and he had questionable instincts for stopping the run as a linebacker. That's a double-whammy as far as trying to be an actual linebacker goes. So at that point he's got one strike against him as a pass rusher but two strikes against him as a linebacker, you might as well toss him in as a pass rusher and see what he's got.

Only thing I was confident he could do from the start was be good on special teams. Thought we saw flashes of that in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom