Jr Griffey does a 180 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jr Griffey does a 180

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
After years of saying he would never play for the Yankees........Griffey Jr is saying he would now accept a trade to the Yanks if it was proposed to him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/294940p-252525c.html

With Bernie Williams contract up after this season and the Yanks not going to re-sign him, I wouldn't be shocked if Griffey is in NY come 2006. They are the only team that would trade for him and pay that crazy contract. Cincy would be happy to let him go and get almost nothing in return just to not have to pay the final 3 years and $38 mill left on his deal.

MikeO said:
After years of saying he would never play for the Yankees........Griffey Jr is saying he would now accept a trade to the Yanks if it was proposed to him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/294940p-252525c.html

With Bernie Williams contract up after this season and the Yanks not going to re-sign him, I wouldn't be shocked if Griffey is in NY come 2006. They are the only team that would trade for him and pay that crazy contract. Cincy would be happy to let him go and get almost nothing in return just to not have to pay the final 3 years and $38 mill left on his deal.

If you took Daryl Strawberry and subsituted drugs with arrogance, selfishness and laziness, you'd have Ken Griffey Jr. He had all the talent in the world but was never a team player or developed the way he could. Now he'll just be a footnote in history.

ih8brady said:
If you took Daryl Strawberry and subsituted drugs with arrogance, selfishness and laziness, you'd have Ken Griffey Jr. He had all the talent in the world but was never a team player or developed the way he could. Now he'll just be a footnote in history.

Couldn't disagree more. Griffey was on pace to break Arrons record before Bonds was. Injuries caught up with him.

The man has missed a ton of time with major injuries and still has 500 home runs! That says something.

MikeO said:
Couldn't disagree more. Griffey was on pace to break Arrons record before Bonds was. Injuries caught up with him.

The man has missed a ton of time with major injuries and still has 500 home runs! That says something.

He was an underachiever. Yes he did well, but he could have been one of the all time greats instead of a Palimero like player(HOF, possibly but not a legendary player).

I'd take Griffey on my team anyday.
To compare him to Strawberry is an insult to Junior.

The guy had many seasons cut short because of injuries.
The guy never used steroids like Bonds, Sosa and McGwire did.

If I remember correctly, Junior had several death threats from NY fans...and that was a big reason in him never wanting to play here.

Icompared them in the sense that they have both wasted potential.

ih8brady said:
He was an underachiever. Yes he did well, but he could have been one of the all time greats instead of a Palimero like player(HOF, possibly but not a legendary player).

Are you nuts! HOF possilby? The man has 500 HR's and got there faster than anyone ever.......even with all of his injuries!

He wasn't missing time because of drugs or off the field issues. HE WAS INJURED! :shakeno:

And if you think he is a jerk, go find his 9/11 story. A firefighter died in WTC. The guy was a huge Griffey fan. Had all of his stuff, and a shrine to the guy in his house. Griffey heard about this guy. The first game back he hit a huge home run, then called the mans wife the next day. And then he flew the guys kids up for the all star game that year put them up in a box and had them chasing fly balls in the home run derby and he flew them up for a bunch of other games and spent a ton of time with the kids. Wasn't asked to do it, did it on his own!

ih8brady said:

Icompared them in the sense that they have both wasted potential.

500 home runs is a wasted talent?! :shakeno:

For a short period of time he was the best player in the game. Strawberry was never that. :shakeno:

The man got hit with the injury bug. What can he do about that?

Fischfan13 said:
If I remember correctly, Junior had several death threats from NY fans...and that was a big reason in him never wanting to play here.

No, Billy Martin treated him like ssshhitt when he was a kid and wanted to go in the clubhouse when his father played for the Yanks. He never forgot that. Then he was upset with the way the Yanks let his father go and he never forgot that either.

Now his father has made up with Steinbrenner and I guess Jr Griffey feels all is fine in Yankeeland.

MikeO said:
500 home runs is a wasted talent?! :shakeno:

For a short period of time he was the best player in the game. Strawberry was never that. :shakeno:

The man got hit with the injury bug. What can he do about that?

500 compared to possibly a 400 hitter and an 800 HR hitter? Injuries werent his only problem. Even without the injuries, he wouldnt have touched Aaron's record. Again, if somebody could have had the best career ever but ended up with only a HOF carrer, would that not be an underachievment?

ih8brady said:
500 compared to possibly a 400 hitter and an 800 HR hitter? Injuries werent his only problem. Even without the injuries, he wouldnt have touched Aaron's record. Again, if somebody could have had the best career ever but ended up with only a HOF carrer, would that not be an underachievment?

800 home runs? You are holding him to a standard that nobody has ever been held to. And a career .400 hitter? LOL LOL Do you even know anything about baseball?

And he has 500 now. He isn't quiting tommorow. 700 is very possible. Only 3 people have done that! Guess he is an underachiever still though! :shakeno:

And yes if he stayed healthy he would have passed Aarons record easily. You know nothing which you speak of.

MikeO said:
800 home runs? You are holding him to a standard that nobody has ever been held to. And a career .400 hitter? LOL LOL Do you even know anything about baseball?

And he has 500 now. He isn't quiting tommorow. 700 is very possible. Only 3 people have done that! Guess he is an underachiever still though! :shakeno:

And yes if he stayed healthy he would have passed Aarons record easily. You know nothing which you speak of.

I didnt mean 400 every season, and I believed if he reached the fullest of his potential he would have beaten Aaron's record.

I'll put it this way, he could have been the best ever instead of a HOF player. Maybe I shouldnt have hyperbolized him earlier, but I think he'll end up being remembered as great but nowhere near the alltime greats.

ih8brady said:
I didnt mean 400 every season, and I believed if he reached the fullest of his potential he would have beaten Aaron's record.

I don't care if its .400 for 1 season. That's unrealistic

Back
Top Bottom