JRS/Hard Rock Stadium Renovations, Phase II.... | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JRS/Hard Rock Stadium Renovations, Phase II....

JRS Stadium Renovations, Phase II....

TECHY QUESTION HERE: Does anyone know how the rain will drain off of the roof? Cant imagine it is just going to run off. There must be a drainage/gutter system, but then where is the water being guttered to??

From the first day I saw the design, my worry was what was going to happen to that structure/canopy in the event of a hurricane or even just a strong tropical storm. And, yeah, the people (players?) standing under the inner edges of the canopy might be in for some awful water runoff unless they've thought of a way to prevent it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still more work to be done to the structure. Cranes are out of the inside of the stadium but they are still aplenty on the outside.

CobHBPDUEAEnt61.jpg:large

miami-stadium-july-27-1000-3.jpg

Cod_sPlXEAAn8Ij.jpg:large

I'm assuming it seats less people? With the seats being closer I'm okay with this. I rather have a small-compact filled (assuming fans show up) stadium

From the first day I saw the design, my worry was what was going to happen to that structure/canopy in the event of a hurricane or even just a strong tropical storm. And, yeah, the people (players?) standing under the inner edges of the canopy might be in for some awful water runoff unless they've thought of a way to prevent it.

Do you believe your thoughts weren't considered as the idea for a canopy was being crafted?

Do you believe your thoughts weren't considered as the idea for a canopy was being crafted?

Of course I believe those thoughts were considered. Of course I believe they were smart enough to have solutions. I also believe your response was useless and snide. I wasn't being skeptical or questioning their engineering abilities. I was simply wondering what their solution was. As someone that's been through hurricanes (Andrew) I've see what a bad storm can do and a large, flat surface like that is asking for trouble. I was just being inquisitive. But thanks for not offering anything to the conversation.

TECHY QUESTION HERE: Does anyone know how the rain will drain off of the roof? Cant imagine it is just going to run off. There must be a drainage/gutter system, but then where is the water being guttered to??
There is a drainage system to prevent water from pouring off the roof onto the crowd below, with conduits to carry it to nearby canals.

The stadium is located in a High Velocity Hurricane Zone, the canopy is built to resist a category 4 hurricane as required by building code.

Last edited by a moderator:
JRS Stadium Renovations, Phase II....

The stadium is located in a High Velocity Hurricane Zone, it is built to resist a category 4 hurricane as required by building code.

Oh no doubt that it is, especially the original stadium structure. I'd just love to see the technology and engineering behind the renovation and the effort to make it resistant to those winds. I suppose the fact that it's horizontal helps a ton. Still, if there's a hurricane that hits, I'm going to be cringing. LoL

Oh no doubt that it is, especially the original stadium structure. I'd just love to see the technology and engineering behind the renovation and the effort to make it resistant to those winds. I suppose the fact that it's horizontal helps a ton. Still, if there's a hurricane that hits, I'm going to be cringing. LoL

I don't understand why you'd be concerned about the canopy if a tropical storm or hurricane was to hit South Florida. Those disasters would be the first thing on the developers' minds when it came to properly designing and building the canopy. I wasn't intending to be snarky though so my apologies if that's how I came off to you.

I have no clue about designing a stadium for a hurricane, but I'm thinking having the roof on, with open space below to allow air/wind flow, instead of it being sealed and trapping the air, must help a ton!
I'm sure whoever insures that stadium went over the design plans with a fine tooth comb!

That's pretty much how the Orange Bowl field looked during the '82 AFC Championship game...

Screenshot 2016-07-29 at 10.54.42 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Beasley‏ @AdamHBeasley
I've been told in no uncertain terms that the Hurricanes Sept. 3 opener will be at Dolphins' stadium.

Of course I believe those thoughts were considered. Of course I believe they were smart enough to have solutions. I also believe your response was useless and snide. I wasn't being skeptical or questioning their engineering abilities. I was simply wondering what their solution was. As someone that's been through hurricanes (Andrew) I've see what a bad storm can do and a large, flat surface like that is asking for trouble. I was just being inquisitive. But thanks for not offering anything to the conversation.

Thinks have changed since Andrew. New construction is technically approved for cat4 and 5. I just got high impact windows which are approved for a cat 5. Since my house was build in the 80s I probably will have windows and no house after a major hurricane. :lol: it did survive a 3 borderline 4 once with ease.

Since the canopy is open on all sides it gives the wind plenty to blow through. I would have been more concerned if it would have been enclosed. Plus I am sure the entire roof construction has enough flexibility to absorb vibration from high speed winds. It probably will flex and wobble a lot but should stay in place.

Back
Top Bottom