June 1 cap casualties? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

June 1 cap casualties?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Does anybody think we are going to release anyone by the June 1st cuts? I know that he restructured his contract but is there any chance Fiedler gets cut? I'm sorry but I really would rather them get rid of Fiedler and find another vet to backup Feeley. I've felt all along that since we invested a 2nd round pick on Feeley, we should also make him the starter and by keeping Fiedler around it would just cause more of a distraction for Feeley.

I tend to agree with you about releasing Fiedler, but I thought I remembered hearing he was not gonig to restructure his contract!?

Anyway, I doubt he will EVER be relaeased as long as he buddy DW is coach.

I still waver on that. Fiedler makes a perfect backup that can come in any one game, and bring the team back with his gutsy performances...but we might not be in a position to utlize that. The main thing is Dave Wannstedt. Feeley may need time to feel his way into the offense and that means not closing up the competition and going
'safe' just because of a bad minicamp or two his first days in the offense.

Will be interesting tho to see who gets cut on other teams. I would think we might be in the market for a veteran DE. Burnett retired and was not replaced, and Grigsby is the kinda player who has to earn his playing time rather than just be given it by the fact that a guy in front of him left the team.

ckparrothead said:
I still waver on that. Fiedler makes a perfect backup that can come in any one game, and bring the team back with his gutsy performances...but we might not be in a position to utlize that. The main thing is Dave Wannstedt. Feeley may need time to feel his way into the offense and that means not closing up the competition and going

You're right about Fiedler being the perfect backup. The problem is that since he was "made" a starter, he wouldn't just settle for being the backup and I could see him coming in after one of his gutsy performances, winning a game and expecting to be the starter the next week. Furthermore, I don't know how he'd take being the backup if Feeley beats him out. Bottom line is that being that Feeley was brought in to start and will be given every opportunity to start, he shouldn't have to look over his shoulder only to see his backup trying to take his job. Especially since he's never been a starter in this league.

Bottom line is that being that Feeley was brought in to start and will be given every opportunity to start, he shouldn't have to look over his shoulder only to see his backup trying to take his job. Especially since he's never been a starter in this league.

Well, in general I believe that every Qb in this league should be able to look over his shoulder and see his backup QB trying to take his job. What Feeley needs though is time, patience, and exposure not only to the offense, but to NFL defenses in live action. Also, Feeley is not a practice Quarterback, he's a game Quarterback. Every year it seems we hear about Fiedler showing up to mini-camps and looking good and really in control of this offense...and "this" is going to be the year he pulls it together.

We will truly have to let the preseason game performances speak for themselves. Game time action is when Feeley is supposed to be at his best. We'll see immediately during those preseason games if this offense is the same old same old with Fiedler at QB even with the addition of David Boston, and whether Feeley is indeed a game winner.

Although it wouldn't bother me in the least, I would be shocked :eek: if they cut Feidler. Only because if they cut him and bring in someone else they would have 2 guys who barely no the offence (Feeley and whoever they bring in) and one guy who knows the offence but has taken less that a dozen snaps in real game action. (Rosenfels). That's a tough spot.

I still would not be surprised if Dave made the 2 man competition a 3 man competition. Recently he made a statement about "whether its Jay or AJ or Sage or whoever it is..."

I thought it was telling, that quote. Dave's a bit distressed about the two man competition because Fiedler looked like Fiedler and Feeley looked like a 3rd stringer, at the most recent minicamps. Sage, on the other hand, solid and steady, with great physical tools...as usual. Sage outplayed Griese and Fiedler in minicamps early last year too.

I doubt we will cut anyone. In the past when we were going to cut someone we barred them from practicing with the team so they could not get injured and the team would be stuck with them. Since everyone under contract was at the first two camps, that suggests no cuts.

Also regarding Burnett, we didn't replace him because D. Bowens is coming back. Both of them play DE and are able to move inside on third down and provide an inside pass rush.

ckparrothead said:

You know what you also can't do? You can't release the guy Feeley is competing against just because nearly half of the fans hate him for not being Dan Marino. It's a competition, and I'm going to be wicked pissed off if anybody does anything to prematurely resolve it.

If Feeley clearly wins the job, Jay won't take a pay cut, and there is a guy close to as good as he is available who knows our offense (whatver it turns out to be) then it's time to entertain cutting Jay. Otherwise, Jay has to stay.

ckparrothead said:
I still would not be surprised if Dave made the 2 man competition a 3 man competition. Recently he made a statement about "whether its Jay or AJ or Sage or whoever it is..."

I thought it was telling, that quote. Dave's a bit distressed about the two man competition because Fiedler looked like Fiedler and Feeley looked like a 3rd stringer, at the most recent minicamps. Sage, on the other hand, solid and steady, with great physical tools...as usual. Sage outplayed Griese and Fiedler in minicamps early last year too.

That would be fine with me. I think Sage deserves a shot. The way I see it he can't be any worse than Feidler and Feeley is still an unknown. Besides I have nothing but good thibgs about Sage.........well except for that name?

phinfan2003 said:
I know that he restructured his contract but is there any chance Fiedler gets cut? I'm sorry but I really would rather them get rid of Fiedler and find another vet to backup Feeley. I've felt all along that since we invested a 2nd round pick on Feeley, we should also make him the starter and by keeping Fiedler around it would just cause more of a distraction for Feeley.

Not a chance...

1) Fiedler is the only starting caliber QB on the roster right now. There is no real QB competition. Feeley isn't even up to Lucas or Griese backup level currently...

2) Miami made it more expensive to cut Jay by guaranteeing $800k of his 2003 salary. That would mean an addtional dead money hit of $400k over each of the next two seasons if Jay is cut after June 1.

Miami had better hope that Jay stays healthy for the first time since 2001 since it looks very much as if he will be the starter this year.

Dolphan_B said:
Not a chance...

1) Fiedler is the only starting caliber QB on the roster right now. There is no real QB competition. Feeley isn't even up to Lucas or Griese backup level currently...

2) Miami made it more expensive to cut Jay by guaranteeing $800k of his 2003 salary. That would mean an addtional dead money hit of $400k over each of the next two seasons if Jay is cut after June 1.

Miami had better hope that Jay stays healthy for the first time since 2001 since it looks very much as if he will be the starter this year.

I agree that there no chance the Feidler will be cut, but not because of the following quote.....
Fiedler is the only starting caliber QB on the roster right now.
If you believe that neither Feeley or Sage are starting calibre QB, then the quote should read........"There are no starting calibre QB on the roster right now." :evil: ......

Back
Top Bottom