Just want to share this w/ the FINheaven by SirFin | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just want to share this w/ the FINheaven by SirFin

Boomer,

I think that's a very fair statement of what went down. I just won't agree to be happy with need drafting because it's not something that is acceptable to me. I do realize that this means I will be unhappy with our first round picks most of the time, but it doesn't change my belief about how the draft should work.

If a team has a need, wouldn't their first pick almost always be the needed position?

Jimmy James said:
I mentioned Kiper because he's the best known person of his ilk. There are tons of other people who do the same thing, and the vast majority of them had Carey lower than 19. That establishes Carey's value as lower than 19 sufficiently for me.

Myself I put ZERO stock in what the "experts" think about value. I also think people put WAY too much stock in draft value. All that matters is, if the player turns out to be a good football player. I like what Shanahan said about Terrell Davis. When someone asked if he was a draft expert because he picked him up in the 6th round. He replied if he was such an expert, he would of drafted him in the first.

I think it's little surprise that you feel so differently about draft strategy. If you don't believe what I believe, your opinion of the VC pick and even the trade up almost have to be different. I guess I could see a situation where you believe in need but believed that something like WR was a bigger need. I would have to disagree with that, though. I'm fine with the notion that OL and maybe even OT was the biggest team need. I just feel that you have to take care of needs in FA and only in FA.

Jimmy James said:
I think it's little surprise that you feel so differently about draft strategy. If you don't believe what I believe, your opinion of the VC pick and even the trade up almost have to be different. I guess I could see a situation where you believe in need but believed that something like WR was a bigger need. I would have to disagree with that, though. I'm fine with the notion that OL and maybe even OT was the biggest team need. I just feel that you have to take care of needs in FA and only in FA.

I never thought that WR was a need and I am thrilled that we did not pick one!

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I don't see how drafting VC isn't drafting for the future.

Drafting solely for the future is drafting the best player available. I don't care if that was Wilfork or Jackson. Anything less yields a subpar result. You obviously don't subscribe to this notion, and I agree that picking anybody in the draft is drafting for the future to an extent. Drafting Eddie Moore or Yatil Green was drafting for the future to an extent.

I agree to the BPA Philosphy, unless there is a need. Draftng the BPA when the team has a glaring need is not drafting smart!

BigFinFan said:
I agree to the BPA Philosphy, unless there is a need. Draftng the BPA when the team has a glaring need is not drafting smart!

I think I have established that I disagree with that philosophy sufficiently. ;)

The reason I reply here is that I don't think it's fair to characterize OL as a glaring need for this team based on who was signed in the offseason. The team signed a servicable OT in StClair and a very solid guy if he comes back healthy in McIntosh. They had the chance to sign two decent OTs before the draft but passed. I can see the utility in having another body on the line, but I think it's out of bounds to call it a glaring need except in perception that the team did too little last offseason at this position so the fans want overkill. Let's face it -- there are still people who want another guy at the position.

Who was the BPA at 19/20?

If it was a WR, using your philosphy, why draft a WR when we have 11 on the current roster?

Jimmy James said:
You're quite welcome, and I thank you for being patient with me as well. We would all do well to keep our exchanges as patient and understanding as this one. I'll be the first to admit that I don't meet that standard at times, but I wish I did.
You and me both, pal.... :lol:

When I first got here, some 10,000 posts ago, I was a much MUCH bigger a$$hole than I am now...back then, I was a lot like that BigFinFan dude.... :eek: :eek:

:nana: BFF

Using my philosophy, you draft a WR if the WR is BPA in that situation because he is BPA. That's the only consideration unless you want me to believe that the team is somehow stacked from 1-11 with players who are superior to the person being drafted. If you want me to assume that, I believe that the only appropriate response is to diligently attempt to trade either one of the WRs on the roster or the pick in a trade that is at least value-neutral and is at best in and of itself a value move.

CKParrothead wrote..
Anyone who has ever been to a Hookah bar or smoked out of one probably does not doubt Ricky's apple shish. If you're insinuating it must be marijuana, you're dead wrong. Up in DC right next to georgetown we had a hookah bar open til like 4am. It was fast becoming one of the most popular places to go after hours. Apple shish isn't anywhere near as harsh as the tobacco in say, a cigarette. I'm a complete non-smoker, can't stand cigarettes at all, and I've smoked double apple shish, strawberry shish, basically whatever kinda shish they have. Its a very nice flavor, no buzz, but who cares about that.

I was kidding around. I didn't think for the life of me that Ricky was smoking pot. Looking back.. I should have edited that bit out.. And for the record.. I know absolutely nothing about Hookah bars...

inFINsible.. thanks for the welcome...
Like I said.. I'm going to stick to my guns with the 4th round deal. It would be my philosphy if I were a GM.. I'd treat draft picks like gold. But I'm not a GM.. so there!
I hope Vernon Carey is what this offensive line needs. ANd in my heart of hearts I think he will do well there. I would have also thought that about Justin Smiley. The truth in the matter is we won't know for a couple of years.. if by 2007 Carey is a Pro-Bowler and Justin Smiley is in the AFL.. then it was worth moving up one... we just won't know... It's in the past now... all I can personally do is render fan support for Carey.

It was nice posting here. I'll have to stop by more often. I feel like I am cheating right now. But I must go back home.. where my sig and avatar is waiting... BTW... how many posts before you get an Avatar? SiG?

Later... Sir FIn.. OUT... (I am listening to Jim Rome...)

inFINSible said:
You and me both, pal.... :lol:

When I first got here, some 10,000 posts ago, I was a much MUCH bigger a$$hole than I am now...back then, I was a lot like that BigFinFan dude.... :eek: :eek:

:nana: BFF

:roflmao:

inFINSible - you know that NOBODY loves you... :cry:

...like I do! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom