Kaepernick Belongs With Big Boys | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kaepernick Belongs With Big Boys

Its funny but you actually make my point, the only reason I posted an NFL SCOUTS opinion on Kaepernick is because you seem to think it was crazy to compare Kaepernick's delivery to Rivers, who also had doubters in the pre-draft period.

No I don't need anyone else's opinion to validate mine, I don't claim to be an NFL scout or to have a crystal ball, I have been watching football for 40 years and I know a football player when I see one. I've seen many players who wanted it bad enough overcome supposed flaws in their game and succeed. The results are on the field, this guy is a winner, he also has all the physical ability in the world, far more than most top prospects in this draft. He also seems very coachable by all accounts, so I'll bet on him.

It's fine to think he can overcome his deficiencies. I obviously don't, but it's all gravy.

Answer two questions for me, though:

1. Does Kaepernick have a slow, wind-up deliver?
2. Does Rivers have a quick, compact delivery?

Finishing the Boston College bowl game. Some of y'all have been trying to get away with something, talking about how Colin Kaepernick "beat" Boston College. Colin Kaepernick scored 13 points against the Boston College defense and turned the ball over twice. He didn't beat Boston College. Nevada's defense and Rishard Matthews beat Boston College.

Sounds bad the way you make it sound, he was 20-33 60% 1 td-1 int, which is not god awful against a much bigger school from a football standpoint.

You can go and look at most QB's and find games where they struggled a bit for one reason or another, just look at Blaine Gabbert's back to back performances against Texas Tech and Nebraska......30-72....41%.....192 yards 1 td-1 int COMBINED for both games.

I would also point out that Kaepernick has played well for four years, and improved along the way, Gabbert only started two years.

I'm not trying to slam Gabbert, but a little equity in the balance of the evaluations is only fair.

I will state for the record, I would prefer Cam Newton #1, but if this organization cannot/will not trade up for him(which I'm pretty sure will be neccesary), I would not be opposed to moving around a little and landing Kaepernick.

Sounds bad the way you make it sound, he was 20-33 60% 1 td-1 int, which is not god awful against a much bigger school from a football standpoint.

You can go and look at most QB's and find games where they struggled a bit for one reason or another, just look at Blaine Gabbert's back to back performances against Texas Tech and Nebraska......30-72....41%.....192 yards 1 td-1 int COMBINED for both games.

I would also point out that Kaepernick has played well for four years, and improved along the way, Gabbert only started two years.

I'm not trying to slam Gabbert, but a little equity in the balance of the evaluations is only fair.

I will state for the record, I would prefer Cam Newton #1, but if this organization cannot/will not trade up for him(which I'm pretty sure will be neccesary), I would not be opposed to moving around a little and landing Kaepernick.

Blue,

I watched more video on Kaepernick this morning. I must say he is quite an athlete...sorta reminds me of a young Mike Vick. He evade the rush very well...but I still must admit that I am not sold on how he would translate to the NFL. I just want to see the kid literally throw down the field...rather than running down the field. I am also not enamored with that release. I know everyone has their favorite in this draft...mine is Gabbert. Cam Newton is another I just don't know how his style will translate to the NFL. This sorta remins me of that ol' Jay Cutler verses Vince Young debate that raged a few years ago with FishyPete. :chuckle:

Here's a short video of Rivers discussing QB mechanics, how he alterred his delivery a bit to make it more compact and how it's a bit overblown.

Norm Chow went to Mike Holmgren to get his advice concerning Philip Rivers while at NC State, and Holmgren asked "does he throw it strong and accurately"? Chow said "Yes", Holmgren said "Don't mess with it then".

Kaepernick throws it strong and accurately. I'm sure he can tweak it a bit as well, as Rivers did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue,

I watched more video on Kaepernick this morning. I must say he is quite an athlete...sorta reminds me of a young Mike Vick. He evade the rush very well...but I still must admit that I am not sold on how he would translate to the NFL. I just want to see the kid literally throw down the field...rather than running down the field. I am also not enamored with that release. I know everyone has their favorite in this draft...mine is Gabbert. Cam Newton is another I just don't know how his style will translate to the NFL. This sorta remins me of that ol' Jay Cutler verses Vince Young debate that raged a few years ago with FishyPete. :chuckle:

All I can say to that is watch more film, he averaged 8.42 yards a pass attempt in 2010 versus Gabbert's 6.71, he completed a higher percentage and had a higher QB rating, threw more touchdowns and less interceptions than Gabbert.

Again not slamming Gabbert, just pointing out that just because the kid is a phenomenal athlete and can and does run the football, it doesn't mean he doesn't throw it as well.

All I can say to that is watch more film, he averaged 8.42 yards a pass attempt in 2010 versus Gabbert's 6.71, he completed a higher percentage and had a higher QB rating, threw more touchdowns and less interceptions than Gabbert.

Again not slamming Gabbert, just pointing out that just because the kid is a phenomenal athlete and can and does run the football, it doesn't mean he doesn't throw it as well.

You keep saying watch more film, but you continue to use stats as the basis of your argument. I have went out my way to watch some tape of this kid and I gotta say, the kid is very impressive as an athlete under center. He is more polished than I thought he would look the few times I have seen him on ESPN throughout the year. However the Rivers comparison is not a great one, outside of the type of delivery. Rivers is MUCH quicker on his release . . . this kid is much slower. And his seems more complicated from the feet to the hands to the arm. Reminding you once again that if you put this kid in one of the more elite conferences, facing more elite defenses . . . that he wouldn't get away with half the **** he gets away with in the WAC.

I also agree that he is far from having No talent on that offense . . . I would venture to say that Jake Locker had less talent and played in a MUCH better conference. I keep seeing a more athletic Tyler Thigpen on tape . . . he might be able to do something on the next Level, but the same could be said for several of these guys.

To draft this project at 15 IMO would be irresponsible, but hey like somebody else said . . . success is going to depend alot on how much a guy wants it . . . nobody can measure that on any player.

You keep saying watch more film, but you continue to use stats as the basis of your argument. I have went out my way to watch some tape of this kid and I gotta say, the kid is very impressive as an athlete under center. He is more polished than I thought he would look the few times I have seen him on ESPN throughout the year. However the Rivers comparison is not a great one, outside of the type of delivery. Rivers is MUCH quicker on his release . . . this kid is much slower. And his seems more complicated from the feet to the hands to the arm. Reminding you once again that if you put this kid in one of the more elite conferences, facing more elite defenses . . . that he wouldn't get away with half the **** he gets away with in the WAC.

I also agree that he is far from having No talent on that offense . . . I would venture to say that Jake Locker had less talent and played in a MUCH better conference. I keep seeing a more athletic Tyler Thigpen on tape . . . he might be able to do something on the next Level, but the same could be said for several of these guys.

To draft this project at 15 IMO would be irresponsible, but hey like somebody else said . . . success is going to depend alot on how much a guy wants it . . . nobody can measure that on any player.

Bear in mind Rivers himself said he slightly tweaked his motion to make it more compact, So the Rivers everybody was evaluating this time of year pre-draft was not the same exact Rivers we see now(by his own account).

As far as prospects go, your right, many of them could do something at the next level, but why wouldn't you want one the most physically gifted of the bunch?

The one critical thing to me in an NFL quarterback is accuracy, and this kid has that and has had it for four years(like Rivers).

I love Newton but he is a one year guy, Gabbert a two year guy.

I guess in the end what I am saying is there are a handful of guys that are at the top in this draft, getting back to the threads topic.....and I think Kaepernick is one of them.

Back
Top Bottom