Kaepernick Belongs With Big Boys | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kaepernick Belongs With Big Boys

Finishing the Boston College bowl game. Some of y'all have been trying to get away with something, talking about how Colin Kaepernick "beat" Boston College. Colin Kaepernick scored 13 points against the Boston College defense and turned the ball over twice. He didn't beat Boston College. Nevada's defense and Rishard Matthews beat Boston College.

Well obviously you missed your calling, or maybe you really are an NFL personnel man with the free time to post here?

Dude the arrogance is overwhelming...I'll be curious to see if your man enough to come back and admit your wrong if Kaepernick succeeds in this league.

Ok, rather than needing someone else to validate my opinion, I trust my eyes. Dan Henning, by the way, is a football guy, too. Everyone who has a job in anything must be good at it, right? I mean, the 49ers drafted Taylor Mays pretty high in the 2nd RD. How many football people went into making that decision. We drafted Jamar Fletcher over D. Brees. Football people went into making that decision.

Say it slowly:

Slow, wind-up.

Quick, compact.

. . .

I don't know how it's not OBVIOUS.

And, to that point, FOOTBALL PEOPLE drafted Leftwich - absolutely agree with that comparison - #7 overall.

Fooball people fjaslfdj;sioj

Not true, Kaepernick was very impressive all week in the practices and blew the rest of them away by most accounts, the game is fairly meaningless as displayed by Pat White winning MVP in recent history...the NFL people care much more about the practices than the game, many don't even stick around for the game itself.

Sweet he really tore it up in practice! In the game he was 4-9 for 53 yards. Oh and a pick, but to his credit that wasn't really his fault. Because someone practices well when there is little adversity doesn't make him a top pick in the draft, but more of a reach...

Finishing the Boston College bowl game. Some of y'all have been trying to get away with something, talking about how Colin Kaepernick "beat" Boston College. Colin Kaepernick scored 13 points against the Boston College defense and turned the ball over twice. He didn't beat Boston College. Nevada's defense and Rishard Matthews beat Boston College.

Exactly... but you can't tell these Kaepernicksters anything... they're under the impression that he had nothing but scrubs all around him.

Despite the fact that Vai Taua ran for over 1,600 yards and almost 20 TD's... and Nevada's offensive line was full of seniors and upper classmen.. I think the least experienced guy on the line was sophomore Chris Barker..

Vai Taua, Virgil Green and Rishard Matthews were three of the best weapons in all of college football that a quarterback could have... especially facing WAC defenses.

These threads will still be around when Taua and Virgil Green come off the board, and they'll still be around next year when Rishard Matthews is being talked about as one of the top WR prospects in the country.

I've been listening to various draftnik's podcasts (Pauline's, Wright's, etc) and their Senior Bowl coverage. I haven't heard any of them give Kaepernick a glowing review from practice sessions. I've heard terms like "better than I thought" and "athletic" but I've also heard terms like "inaccurate" and "inconsistent" along with "slow release" and "sit behind another QB for 3 years". They seem to think he'll still be drafted right around where he should be (mid to late rounds). He might have improved his draft stock by a round or so, maybe. Looks like 3rd round should be his top out point, and that's probably late 3rd round. Some of them liked McElroy more than Colin. They seemed to think that there wasn't anymore than clipboard holders or projects for the QB position at this year's Senior Bowl.

I'm not sure where this "everyone is giving him great reviews" stuff is coming from.

Exactly... but you can't tell these Kaepernicksters anything... they're under the impression that he had nothing but scrubs all around him.

Despite the fact that Vai Taua ran for over 1,600 yards and almost 20 TD's... and Nevada's offensive line was full of seniors and upper classmen.. I think the least experienced guy on the line was sophomore Chris Barker..

Vai Taua, Virgil Green and Rishard Matthews were three of the best weapons in all of college football that a quarterback could have... especially facing WAC defenses.

These threads will still be around when Taua and Virgil Green come off the board, and they'll still be around next year when Rishard Matthews is being talked about as one of the top WR prospects in the country.

It's interesting looking at how Boise State played him versus how Boston College played him. Boise State ran creative stuff at him all day. Blitzes from all angles, zone blitzes, dropping 8 back into coverage, etc. Purely passing against those kinds of fronts I had him 10 of 22 for 137 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT. He also took a 10 yard sack, and had the 18 yard TD off the scramble when the DB blitzing off the corner got undisciplined and lost outside contain (you would hope that wouldn't happen in the NFL, but who knows?). That's a 6.0 net yards per attempt, with a TD run and an INT. Boston College played him pretty straight forward, only ran 6 of those kinds of plays at him. Of course, he was only 3 of 4 for 16 yards, a -9 yard sack, 2 yard scramble, with a fumble...on those 6 plays. So overall we're talking 30 plays, 5.1 yards per attempt, 1 scrambling TD, 2 turnovers...on those types of plays, against BC and Boise.

That's concerning. I'm not convinced he beats the blitz in the NFL or handles a trashy NFL pocket. They rolled him a ton at Nevada and it helps him keep a clean look but it also cuts off a good part of the field as a viable passing option, and when you have faster NFL linebackers like Winston Venable, Von Miller, Luke Kuechly and Mark Herzlich, all of whom clearly gave Kaepernick trouble in the Boise, Boston College and Senior Bowl games...Colin's going to have to start coming up with different answers.

We'll see. I see a lot of the flat ball, those rockets that skate across the field like cruise missiles at low altitude (20 to 35 yards). I even see some touch balls at that distance, either on the fade or some other pass. But where's the deep ball to challenge the field vertically? I don't see that. Where's the short ball? I don't see much of that either. And I also see a lot of defenders getting a little extra jump on the ball because of that long stride and wind-up. Saw it a lot against Boston College, who focused on sitting back and reading him to get a jump on the ball. Saw him get some balls batted at the line because of that, too. Even saw it some against Boise, who mostly went after him and didn't have DBs as focused on reading him.

It's interesting looking at how Boise State played him versus how Boston College played him. Boise State ran creative stuff at him all day. Blitzes from all angles, zone blitzes, dropping 8 back into coverage, etc. Purely passing against those kinds of fronts I had him 10 of 22 for 137 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT. He also took a 10 yard sack, and had the 18 yard TD off the scramble when the DB blitzing off the corner got undisciplined and lost outside contain (you would hope that wouldn't happen in the NFL, but who knows?). That's a 6.0 net yards per attempt, with a TD run and an INT. Boston College played him pretty straight forward, only ran 6 of those kinds of plays at him. Of course, he was only 3 of 4 for 16 yards, a -9 yard sack, 2 yard scramble, with a fumble...on those 6 plays. So overall we're talking 30 plays, 5.1 yards per attempt, 1 scrambling TD, 2 turnovers...on those types of plays, against BC and Boise.

That's concerning. I'm not convinced he beats the blitz in the NFL or handles a trashy NFL pocket. They rolled him a ton at Nevada and it helps him keep a clean look but it also cuts off a good part of the field as a viable passing option, and when you have faster NFL linebackers like Winston Venable, Von Miller, Luke Kuechly and Mark Herzlich, all of whom clearly gave Kaepernick trouble in the Boise, Boston College and Senior Bowl games...Colin's going to have to start coming up with different answers.

We'll see. I see a lot of the flat ball, those rockets that skate across the field like cruise missiles at low altitude (20 to 35 yards). I even see some touch balls at that distance, either on the fade or some other pass. But where's the deep ball to challenge the field vertically? I don't see that. Where's the short ball? I don't see much of that either. And I also see a lot of defenders getting a little extra jump on the ball because of that long stride and wind-up. Saw it a lot against Boston College, who focused on sitting back and reading him to get a jump on the ball. Saw him get some balls batted at the line because of that, too. Even saw it some against Boise, who mostly went after him and didn't have DBs as focused on reading him.

Couldn't agree with you more... I don't think he beats the blitz well at all, and I don't think he hits the "honey holes" against a Cover-2 defense consistently. Good luck taking snaps from the Pistol and rushing for 4,000 yards in the NFL kid...

Kaepernick showed better than a lot of people were EXPECTING at the Senior Bowl.... that's where all the hype comes from.

When we talk about these prospects and break them down, just because we talk about certain negatives or find "knocks", doesn't mean we're saying the guy can't succeed at the next level. Nor does pointing out the things he does well, or hyping them up like they're the best thing since Randall Cunningham mean he's going to be a star..

All you can do is give the guy a grade based on what you see, and judge what you think projects to the next level and what doesn't.

The thing to remember is, what none of these NFL scouts, GM's, or any talent evaluator on planet earth can measure is how bad a guy WANTS something.

The quarterbacks from this draft that succeed in the NFL are going to be the one's that wanted it the most... no matter how talented they were... and that's the bottom line.

It may be two years before Colin is truly ready for primetime but he is not a 4 to 5 yr hope that he pans out kind of project.

I still think people are overlooking Andy Dalton.

I've been say ing draft them both.

The only thing is; I think Andre Smith is going to become a great TE in the NFL in the years to come. He would immediately become an excellent blocking TE. The guy is 6'4" 275 and is a skilled blocker. He also has great hands is a very good athlete for a man that size.

If the Dolphins were a able to pick Kaepernick and Dalton in rounds 2-4, there would have to be a trade or trades made for an extra pick or two.

This would be really easy for me if I was in Ireland's shoes. I would trade Brandon Marshall for a 1st, or another combo of picks. I love Brandons game, but I don't like him as a Dolphin for a plethora of reasons.

Randall Cunningham with Byron Leftwich's windup.

But I think people are getting carried away with Kaepernick. I'm not sold.

Christian Ponder in round 3 > Kaepernick in round 1/early 2nd.

My Dream Draft (assuming we can't trade down):

1.) Mark Ingram RB Alabama
3.) Christian Ponder QB FSU
4.) James Carpernter RT Alabama
5.) Derrick Locke RB/RS Kentucky
6.) Bilal Powell RB Louisville
7.) Jeremy Kerley WR/RS TCU
7.) Nathan Enderle QB Idaho

FA) Ryan Kalil C
FA) Logan Mankins LG
FA) Zach Miller TE
FA) Takeo Spikes ILB

Cuts/Not Re-signed

Penny and Thigpen
Ronnie, Ricky & Cobbs
Vernon Carey
Ritchie Incognito
Channing Crowder
Joey Haynos
I think that's a fair comparison. He probably falls somewhere between the two as a prospect. For his sake hopefully closer to Cunningham.

Maybe the Pennington comparisons for Christian Ponder are pretty fair but what's wrong with that? If we can't get an absolute stud franchise QB from this draft, then why not a young version of Pennington?

Ponder is accurate (at least short and intermediate), smart, can read through his progressions, can stand tall in the pocket and step into the pocket, he's mobile, he's a respected leader. I think all those positives more than make up for his only two negatives (injury history and lack of elite arm strength). If we can get him in the 3rd round, I like that investment better than reaching for Kaepernick in the late 1st or early 2nd (if we trade down), or especially at 15th overall - that'd be ridiculous.
My main question with Ponder is whether he can carry a team when the running game is not working or make the big plays that the elite quarterbacks have to make. Those are the guys taking teams to the super bowl. Is he a guy you can win big with? Then again, I think both Tom Brady and Drew Brees developed into that type of player. Brees when he got in a great system for him with great talent. The durability issue is a significant issue as well. You want a quarterback who can answer the bell week in and week out. I can't even think of Peyton Manning's backup and that's a credit to his durability. In the end for me, I think Ponder is more NFL ready than a lot of the quarterbacks who will be taken ahead of him but not sure he has a lot of upside?

I don't agree with him having a bad OL.

I'll just post this quote from a Hawaii D-lineman regarding this subject, I guess everything is subjective.......seems the Nevada O-line that was a strength in the past was not quite the same in 2010..............

“The coaches told us Nevada's O-line was the weak point,” Hawaii defensive tackle Vaughn Meatoga told the Honolulu Advertiser after the game. “The ends did a great job of squeezing down and that left us (the defensive tackles) one on one. All we had to do was beat our guy.”
http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20101030/SPORTS/101029517

and of all these studs you speak of on nevadas team.... where are THEY going to be drafted???

So CK based on your oberservation...do you move up for Gabbert or Newton or trade down (getting that 2nd rounder back) in hopes of getting Kaepernick?

Ok, rather than needing someone else to validate my opinion, I trust my eyes. Dan Henning, by the way, is a football guy, too. Everyone who has a job in anything must be good at it, right? I mean, the 49ers drafted Taylor Mays pretty high in the 2nd RD. How many football people went into making that decision. We drafted Jamar Fletcher over D. Brees. Football people went into making that decision.

Say it slowly:

Slow, wind-up.

Quick, compact.

. . .

I don't know how it's not OBVIOUS.

Its funny but you actually make my point, the only reason I posted an NFL SCOUTS opinion on Kaepernick is because you seem to think it was crazy to compare Kaepernick's delivery to Rivers, who also had doubters in the pre-draft period.

No I don't need anyone else's opinion to validate mine, I don't claim to be an NFL scout or to have a crystal ball, I have been watching football for 40 years and I know a football player when I see one. I've seen many players who wanted it bad enough overcome supposed flaws in their game and succeed. The results are on the field, this guy is a winner, he also has all the physical ability in the world, far more than most top prospects in this draft. He also seems very coachable by all accounts, so I'll bet on him.

Back
Top Bottom