Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long?

Sherif

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Matt Ryan is already a franchise QB in his rookie season. That's pretty hard to top. QB has to be the toughest position to draft a winner in the NFL, followed by Left Tackle. It's a close call but I'd have to give the edge to Matt Ryan.

I can't wait till the season starts and I hope we beat Atlanta.

I'd still take Jake Long. IMO, if you surround any QB with enough talent, he can win you games. Matt Ryan is a solid QB, but far from spectacular. That team would've had similar success with Chris Redman at QB, frankly. I'm confident that, with our solid OL, good RBs, and deep corps of WRs with complementary talents, Chad Henne will be a competent starter. If he's Marino II, then Hooray.

Jake Long! I am still a strong believer in building from the trenches.

Jake Long. My position was then and is now, No QB is going to be succesful with that garbage we had on the line going into that draft. Though Satele had played well in his rookie season and Carey did a good job at left tackle, the rest were just a bunch of guys that weren't very good.

I would prefer to answer this question in 5 years but you would have to choose the QB over the LT every time if they are both pro bowl players. QB's are just to hard to find. Still going back to last years draft Jake Longs was the right move for the phins.
1. He was the safe money pick compared to Matt Ryann.
2. He fit the long term plans of the phins/Bill Parcells to build the team around a running game first and passing game second.
3. Left Tackle was a big need for the phins last year.
4. Probably the largest thing to consider is that the phins addressed the QB position in last years draft so until we see Chadd Henne play maybe we already have our own Matt Ryan on the team already.

I'd still take Jake Long. IMO, if you surround any QB with enough talent, he can win you games. Matt Ryan is a solid QB, but far from spectacular. That team would've had similar success with Chris Redman at QB, frankly. I'm confident that, with our solid OL, good RBs, and deep corps of WRs with complementary talents, Chad Henne will be a competent starter. If he's Marino II, then Hooray.
Are you kidding?

Lets see: Jake Long and Chad Henne vs. Matt Ryan and John Greco or Jeremy Zuttah?

I think Long and hard they made a great decision.

Still too early to tell...Depending on how Chad henne does and if Jake Long continues to get better. Henne could be just as good if not better than Matt Ryan, and if thats the case then obviously Jake Long would be the better pick, but still too early.

Jake Long hands down. First there is no guarantee that Ryan would have done in Miami what he did in Atlanta. Secondly even superstar qb's can't do anything laying flat on thier backs. You start from the trenches and work your way out.

Are you kidding?

No. In his limited playing time, Chris Redman was actually a serviceable starter. Matt Ryan had a good supporting cast last year, and now with Tony Gonzalez his weapons are second to only Brady. Redman could've at least lead the Falcons to a winning record. Michael Turner was the reason the Falcons made the playoffs. Matt Ryan just managed games. Long term, though Ryan's obviously a franchise QB and will be there in Atlanta making Pro Bowls for the next decade so it was still a good pick.

In retrospect, I probably should've said that Ryan "was a solid starter," not that he "is a solid starter." I'd be surprised if he didn't become a top 10 QB next season.

Still would take Jake Long, great LT's come along every so often, even average quarterbacks can be good if you surround them with talent. Look at what happened when NE transfered from Brady to Cassell for the year. They still went 11-5.

Some of you are seemingly relating Matt Ryan to Joe Flacco. There has been argument of Ryan's rookie season as being one of the best ever for a QB.

Jake Long was a terrific pick, but if Matt Ryan ends up being great there is no question he is more valuable.

ps: the question never mentioned Chad Henne stop bringing him up

Jake Long in the Pro Bowl, rookie year and all, seemed like a boss amongst kids.....With LT being a position which, properly adressed, permits a good QB to have time and room to throw or move, not to mention what he can do to the running game....
So today, june 9th, I say Long

Eh we'll see how Henne or White pans out. And if we don't draft Long we probably STILL end up with Pennington while Ryan learns the ropes, however I don't really know if we win 11 games without Jake Long... there were a lot of CLOSE games last year.

jake long by far. I hope he becomes the leader of our o-line and others follow his work ethic and put up a protection like he can.He is increditbly smart on what he does and the right amount strength, height, and size can not be match His weakness i believe is speed, but as the years go bye he will certain get better at it. I think you can credit Long to Chad P success being that he found comfort on his left.

Back
Top Bottom