Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long?

this thread should be a sticky for the next 10 years lol... it keeps coming back every month and it's a pretty good debate, but there will be no answer until probably the end of their careers

Some of you are seemingly relating Matt Ryan to Joe Flacco. There has been argument of Ryan's rookie season as being one of the best ever for a QB.

Jake Long was a terrific pick, but if Matt Ryan ends up being great there is no question he is more valuable.

ps: the question never mentioned Chad Henne stop bringing him up

You say that like Flacco was utter garbage. For a guy to come from a DII spread offense and be as competent a game manager as any is as impressive as what Ryan did, if not more. There was an 8 game stretch where Flacco had a passer rating above 90. The sky is the limit for Flacco.

People that would put Ryan's rookie season even over Ben Roethlisberger's are idiots. To compare his rookie season to Marino's, a crime on this forum, would be even stupider. That being said his rookie season was top 5 all time for QBs.

Matt Ryan vs Jake Long will always be a debate in these forums. They are both rare talents that are hard to find, specially Jake Long. If you were to put Matt Ryan and Jake Long on the same starting line up, clearly Matt Ryan will benefit more from Long than Long would from Matt Ryan. That is the way I see it, and how I value the selection of each player.

If its jake long vs matt ryan then falcons got the better deal barely but if you add in henne compared to sam baker then we got the better deal.

Most of you are nuts! I like Jake Long too, but the decision is clear cut... Would you take Marino or Anthony Munoz? It's the same question. Talking about supporting casts and other factors is pretty irrelevant when the question was posed simply as Long vs. Ryan... not will Henne be good or Flacco or what not. Just knowing the talent of the two players as individuals, you have to take the QB every time! Every time! Picking a HOF LT over a HOF QB is an utterly rediculous argument and almost indefensible. Just like those of you who say there are other good QB's, I can say there are plenty of lesser known LT's that do a fine job. So the question becomes do you want HOF QB with very serviceable LT or a HOF LT with a very serviceable QB? There's no doubt! Let me have it, I can't wait to see the homer's rational reactions.

Peace,
B

I'd still take Jake Long. IMO, if you surround any QB with enough talent, he can win you games. Matt Ryan is a solid QB, but far from spectacular. That team would've had similar success with Chris Redman at QB, frankly. I'm confident that, with our solid OL, good RBs, and deep corps of WRs with complementary talents, Chad Henne will be a competent starter. If he's Marino II, then Hooray.

A journeymen qb who has limited success? And a rookie who has all the tools and displayed them thru the season. The above sentence comes with no thought.

Matt Ryan. I had my doubts about him on the pro level, and he silenced them, but can he do it two years in a row?

I still love big Jake though, I expect him to be a multiple time pro bowler. Quarterback is still the most valuable position on the field.

Most of you need to have your heads examined.

Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano wouldn't hesitate to take Ryan, knowing what they know now.

I have to believe that you guys are just huge homers.

I mean I love Jake Long and all but my brain works.

It all depends on Henne

Because if Henne is a bust, Pro Bowl LT vs. Pro Bowl QB, its the quarterback everytime

Putting my Homerism aside, straight up right now,Matt Ryan. Quarteback is the most important position on a team! A better debate is Long vs Clady!

You can't ask this question on a Phins message board. Almost everybody on here is going to say Jake Long, but if we had picked Matt Ryan and you asked this question then EVERYBODY would say Matt Ryan.

Back
Top Bottom