La Canfora is now saying that we will use the franchise tag on Long or Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

La Canfora is now saying that we will use the franchise tag on Long or Smith

They both suck, but if we MUST tag one of them, Smith is the one to tag as he is by far the better of the two, which isnt saying much..

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Ask yourself this, would any other team pay S.Smith top money at his position? This is a guy that makes very few impactful plays. I would throw up in my mouth if they used the tag on him. Time to stop over valueing our players. I'd let him walk, in my opinion, it isn't that big of hole to fill.
On the flip side of the coin, Long is just as bad at his position as Smith iis at his. Ultimately neither deserve top money. If we have to tag someone, either Starks or Reggie are the ones.

sorry I don't buy it. both those guys together should only eat 15m of our cap space, if we resign them. no need to franchise either, and if we lose them, so what, there are other viable players out there who can come in and do as well as smith and long for cheaper. Its not like we've made the playoffs with either player, and losing one or both is not going to make or break our team.

I believe if Philbin has a say they will do neither and build this team through the draft. The exception to this is I think they will make a strong run for Mike Wallace.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I would rather see the tag on Starks than anyone.

If we use the tag on Sean smith that's 5 million for every good game he's had this year!

I would only tag either with the intent of trading them to get something back. I believe that Smith will draw much more interest than Long, and "might" be able to get a 2md or 3rd rounder for him.

Whats with people and throwing the words such as "top", and "good' around with Sean Smith's name, is there something I'm missing?

LaConfora has been steadfast all year that one of the two get tagged.

If we franchise an average player like Sean Smith or on a often injured Long i'd be pretty surprised.

They need to do business like the Pats do. No big pay outs for starters. You stay and play for starter pay on a championship caliber team or go get your big pay out and watch the playoffs from home every year.

Top corner?!?! This clown must be doing lines of coke as we speak

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21702059/franchise-guys-if-anybody-is-worth-a-tag-its-joe-flacco

Ugh this sounds like complete speculation and I'm really starting to lose respect for La Canfora, figured I'd post it anwyay...

Whether the tag is put on cornerback Sean Smith or left tackle Jake Long, it would be ridiculous for the Dolphins not to use it at all. They're already looking at losing free agent running back Reggie Bush and impactful defensive lineman Randy Starks. Would they really risk losing all four of these players for nothing but compensatory picks?
Long's slumping play and injury woes give pause, but to have a top corner and tackle in their mid-20s both hit the market in the same year is unheard of in the salary-cap era. Says here someone gets tagged.

Who's he talking about? 'Cause that doesn't describe either Long or Smith, sadly.

If the Fins use the Tag on Long

Then they deserve what they get. By over spending on a guy whose skill set has diminished while his perpesity to be injured has increased. Even Shawn Smith do you want to pay him that much? I like him but he's not elite.

I would consider tagging Long but not Smith. The only reason I would tag Long is so that we can revisit the tackle situation next year and not blow a high draft pick on another lineman.

Back
Top Bottom