Lamar Miller Looks Like a Career Maker for Jeff Ireland | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lamar Miller Looks Like a Career Maker for Jeff Ireland

Ive seen the comparisons to Ricky on this board and I dont see it at all. Im not sure how anyone does. Ricky was almost just as fast, same height and 20 pounds heavier. Not sure how theres a comparison between the two

I hope he is good, but when I think of a mid round running back of his size from a Florida college I get bad memories of Lorenzo Booker. Not sure why I get that uneasy feeling, but I do. Can't wait to see him in some game action.

One thing I do want to see is him dump that #44. I assume he will choose a number in the 20s once final cuts are made.

Tannehill is being given all the tools and coaches needed to succeed in the NFL. If he busts, it won't be Ireland's fault, it'll be his own fault and I'll be looking for Ireland to draft his replacement ASAP until we finally have our leader at QB.

And I don't like Ireland, but it's true. Any QB should be able to succeed with the quality of coaches we have.

Now if Ireland takes too long to draft his replacement, then yes fire his ass. But no more bull****ting around, 2-3 seasons tops, we should be able to see Tannehill at potentially Top 5 level or be done with him.

Wow, you're a GM's dream ... Matt Millen will love you!!
(couldn't resist kidding you after seeing your quote!! lol)

Ive seen the comparisons to Ricky on this board and I dont see it at all. Im not sure how anyone does. Ricky was almost just as fast, same height and 20 pounds heavier. Not sure how theres a comparison between the two

It was not his weight or his ability to run over people that made RW good. It was his ability to find the crease and pop through it before the defense could react, and then to make the first guy beyond the line miss with a small jink and not a lot of dancing. A north/south runner. I also recall that for a couple of years Ricky's target weight was around Miller's current 212, even though he usually played at around 220 or so. Seeing Miller get around the corner on sweeps was very reminiscent of Williams. I'm not saying they are the same in every way, just that seeing Miller reminded me of some William's best stuff.

I don't follow college football anymore, nor draft prospects, all that closely because its rare that college talent translates well to the NFL, and that's the only reason that I'd be all that interested in watching it. However, after checking out what's been said about Lamar Miller since the draft and watching some of his highlight reels, I have to say we really do have a gem here and perhaps the biggest acorn to fall off of the tree for Jeff Ireland ever. This stuff doesn't seem like a bunch of hype to me. It may be a year before Miller adjusts to the NFL, but even with that, he's now OUR 1st round talent RB :lol2: Watching Lamar run reminded me a heck of a lot like Ricky Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/lamar-miller?id=2533034

o please......................

You guys have no idea how happy Lamar was to stay in Miami though. He was afraid to have to go out west somewhere. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like it's showing. Hopefully he becomes a stud on the team so I can get some free tickets hahaha.

Ricky ran through people at 235 lb's or so. Miller runs away from them with a quick burst and good long speed also. More like Bush than Ricky.

You guys have no idea how happy Lamar was to stay in Miami though. He was afraid to have to go out west somewhere. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like it's showing. Hopefully he becomes a stud on the team so I can get some free tickets hahaha.

Tell him we are all pulling for him. Especially the Cane's fans. Make us proud.

I loved Miller at UM but hes a small back with durability issues, however i still think he has a lot of upside and he should see a good amount of playing time this year the dude is a playmaker

College talent rarely translates to the NFL?

32 teams with 53 man rosters from college disagree.
I said it doesn't translate WELL. Rarely as you'd like outside of the first round. Therefore, I prefer to let the people who deal with prospects everyday like Ireland sort out the mess. Instead, I spend my time watching professionals play and following closely what my team does. Typically, college players who may or may not ever make it past their rookie season in the NFL garner little interest from me until they make a cut somewhere. Here's some good articles illustrating my point :

http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?t=38395

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7853608/how-tell-which-nfl-draft-picks-truly-valuable

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-22/nfl-draft-2012-first-round-disappointments

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ster-bubble-thoughts-from-a-former-nfl-player

Sorry, but I couldn't find much about the odds of 2nd rounders on down to be impact players or even to make an NFL roster for 1 year. However, there are some statistics on that if you read long and close in the two articles that are statistical, rather than simply opinion. I think that's because no one cares, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

In a few years, Miller will add some weight and power. Hopefully he can retain the speed. He runs with an attitude...I like it.
The Ricky comparisons are a few years away. Right now I would compare him to Frank Gore coming out of college.
Unheralded, not much expected. He turned out pretty good. Hopefully Miller can remain healthy.

Ricky ran through people at 235 lb's or so. Miller runs away from them with a quick burst and good long speed also. More like Bush than Ricky.

I knew I'd read something somewhere about Ricky trying to get his weight down to near his college playing weight. The problem is, I don't recall WHEN I read it and I'm not sure now what his college playing weight was. It was probably an article like the one below that got me thinking he was trying to stay slimmer when he plays. It's the last paragraph that talks about that and in other parts of the article, that he was becoming more than just a smash-mouth runner in the opinion of the journalist. Anyway, I'm sure you are right about what his actual playing weight was throughout the Dolphin years.

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Williams_Ricky/RWilliams_bio.html

Back
Top Bottom