Lance Zierlein Ranks Miami's Draft Class 31st out of 32 Teams | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lance Zierlein Ranks Miami's Draft Class 31st out of 32 Teams

I don't share Lance Zierlein's point of view.
He's a Draft analyst from Houston where they over-focused on quarterbacks. I'm happy about Dolphins´2017 Draft Class and in Gase I trust.

This wasn't a very risky draft and Tbaum managed to stay by his wingman and not go rogue with trades.

You gotta give Zierlein a break. There was a recent post ranking the most effective mock drafts over the last five years. Zierlein was tops from the NFL.com crew.You can cherry pick a slew of mocks and make subjective value rankings however you wish. Those guys who are ensconced in such a lifestyle, deserve to phone it in on articles every now and then.

I loved our draft, and am perfectly fine with any ranking. All the pieces fit our scheme, all top tier quality, all injury free. No character concerns, no reaches.

Miami Dolphins: B+ Grade
Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Dolphins are in a weird situation with Ryan Tannehill, where they have to decide if he's the answer for the long haul. They need to make sure he's protected well in 2017, unlike last year, so adding a guard makes sense. On the other side of the ball, a pass-rusher and a linebacker are desperately needed.

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Miami was very focused on addressing its needs, though I can't say it reached for anyone while doing so. At least not with its first four picks.

Charles Harris was seen by some as a top-15 prospect. There were some teams in the top 20 that were targeting him, but were able to obtain superior falling prospects instead. The Dolphins capitalized, landing an edge rusher for the future. They then made two solid second-day selections in Raekwon McMillan and Cordrea Tankersley. The latter should see the field sooner and offer an upgrade at linebacker. Tankersley, a steal in the third, will also compete for playing time in a middling cornerback group.

The Dolphins had one more glaring need to address after that, and they managed to do so in the fifth round, acquiring Isaac Asiata. I thought Asiata could've easily been chosen on Day 2, so that was another major steal. He could start right away, taking Laremy Tunsil's spot, as Tunsil transitions to left tackle. Vincent Taylor and Isaiah Ford were quality late selections.

Miami came away from the 2017 NFL Draft with a nice group of prospects. The team filled most of its needs, all while obtaining talented players. I graded just one pick of theirs below a "B" (Davon Godchaux), so a high mark makes sense.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php#id6Pg85YOPoPHL3Y.99

this is what WalterFootball.com gave us & he's like anti Miami usually.

There's only one proper reaction to draft grades -- be they positive or negative -- and that's eye rolling laughter. It's a click baity ridiculous exercise. Treat it as such.

People who go out looking for positive draft grades because they want that feeling of blooding rushing to their loins or who go looking for negative grades because they want to rage are frankly just pathetic.

sean-connery-here-endeth-here-endeth-the-lesson.jpg

Thanks for describing exactly why most who don't like the Harris pick... don't like the Harris pick.

This reeks of a luxury pick. We have needs at LB, G, CB, DT and S... and we are picking a developmental DE who won't see the field most snaps. Run D was our primary Defensive area of need. So, we once again reach for a developmental prospect that doesn't even fill a need in the 1st round. Welcome aboard Dion Jordan 2.0.

1st Picks should be your best attempt to fill your team's needs with young talent. They should be starter ready; plug and play. Now we are going to have to hear about "when" and "if" for the next 3 - 4 years describe his "potential".

Give me Forrest Lamp at 22 and stop making the GM job so difficult. And when other teams are running all over us this year, take note how clean Mr. Harris' jersey is on the sidelines. Because that is a pick that isn't helping you this year.

We didn't need Forest Lamp at #22. We could have accepted one of three or four trade down offers; then, we could have easily traded down again and acquired at least two picks and still have been able to draft the #1 guard prospect in the draft.

This fact, and it is fact. The trade offers were there; this, more than any other particular factor makes me agree with Lance.

Another thing; we drafted 0 starters. The only way any of those guys starts is if we have injuries prior to start of the season.

No player drafted by the Dolphins has potential greatness. All three top picks project to be mediocre at best, and the mid and late round picks are meh, or just obvious wasted picks like Ford.

No starters and No potential greatness. The guy with the most potential is probably Isaac Asiata, but he won't blossom for about 3-4 years.

It was a horrific draft. Passing on adding additional picks through trade down to draft a rotational DL who ranked 163rd in college football against the run last year shows stubborn stupidity and complete lack of vision by our FO.

This draft was replete with players that had legitimate potential for greatness, from round 1 through round 7, they were woven through the fabric of the draft, and we didn't draft even one of them.

Greatness wins championships. There were several safeties with enormous potential but we passed on every one of them.

We will need !00% healthy years from Suh,Reshad Jones, Cam Wake, and at least a couple other guys will need to enter greatness for this team to go far. If Tannehill and Parker have great years along with an excellent year from the RB's there is a chance, but we didn't address the OL or run defense, so what we really need is some kind of small miracle where Pouncey actually stays healthy and one or two of the young nobodies surprises the world and plays great. Asiata, Steen ,Smith. Like I said, a small miracle.

Another thing; we drafted 0 starters. The only way any of those guys starts is if we have injuries prior to start of the season.

No player drafted by the Dolphins has potential greatness. All three top picks project to be mediocre at best, and the mid and late round picks are meh, or just obvious wasted picks like Ford.

No starters and No potential greatness. The guy with the most potential is probably Isaac Asiata, but he won't blossom for about 3-4 years.

. . .

It was a horrific draft. we didn't address the OL or run defense

aTWYfxo.gif

We didn't need Forest Lamp at #22. We could have accepted one of three or four trade down offers; then, we could have easily traded down again and acquired at least two picks and still have been able to draft the #1 guard prospect in the draft.

This fact, and it is fact. The trade offers were there; this, more than any other particular factor makes me agree with Lance.

It was a horrific draft. Passing on adding additional picks through trade down to draft a rotational DL who ranked 163rd in college football against the run last year shows stubborn stupidity and complete lack of vision by our FO.

This draft was replete with players that had legitimate potential for greatness, from round 1 through round 7, they were woven through the fabric of the draft, and we didn't draft even one of them.

Greatness wins championships. There were several safeties with enormous potential but we passed on every one of them.

We will need !00% healthy years from Suh,Reshad Jones, Cam Wake, and at least a couple other guys will need to enter greatness for this team to go far. If Tannehill and Parker have great years along with an excellent year from the RB's there is a chance, but we didn't address the OL or run defense, so what we really need is some kind of small miracle where Pouncey actually stays healthy and one or two of the young nobodies surprises the world and plays great. Asiata, Steen ,Smith. Like I said, a small miracle.

Still bitching at a 7th round pick? The pettiness level of this post is high.

This isn't madden. Players who "start" don't play every snap. And in the case for Miami, defensive ends and tackles rotate out frequently.

You can't just turn injuries off. Miami actually has three starting caliber linebackers, added a DE in the 1st that can most definitely start, added key depth at CB in the third, added DT depth in the 5th, probably another starting guard in the 5th.

The 7th round is basically meaningless, yet you keep using it as a reason to bash this draft, and it's pretty ****ing hilarious.

Wasn't trading Jarvis Landry and getting Cordarrelle Patterson as a RB in your offseason plans? Yikes.

Thank god the most damage you can do to this team is by posting on this website.

Clicked on this article expecting Miami to be ranked somewhere close to the top 10 and was surprised to see Lance Zierlein of NFL.com ranking the Dolphins at 31st out of 32 teams.

Now, I know draft grades and rankings mean absolutely nothing a week after the draft. Still, I know Zierlein does a lot of the write-ups and scouting reports on players. Don't know if he was a former scout or much about his credentials.

His general opinion was that Raekwon McMillan's ceiling is an average starting linebacker and that Charles Harris is a situational pass rusher. It's true that Harris starts out as a situational guy, but I also think he could emerge as the best pure pass rusher from this class. Miami doesn't need an immediate starter so Harris has time to develop his run game. If he never comes along in that phase, but wrecks havoc on the quarterback that is still extremely valuable in the pass happy NFL.

McMillan to me is very solid and exactly what the Dolphins need at linebacker. I think his ceiling is higher than what Zierlein states.

As always, there will be surprises both good and bad in every draft. We won't know for a couple of years, but on paper I like Miami's draft.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Clicked on this article expecting Miami to be ranked somewhere close to the top 10 and was surprised to see Lance Zierlein of NFL.com ranking the Dolphins at 31st out of 32 teams.

Now, I know draft grades and rankings mean absolutely nothing a week after the draft. Still, I know Zierlein does a lot of the write-ups and scouting reports on players. Don't know if he was a former scout or much about his credentials.

His general opinion was that Raekwon McMillan's ceiling is an average starting linebacker and that Charles Harris is a situational pass rusher. It's true that Harris starts out as a situational guy, but I also think he could emerge as the best pure pass rusher from this class. Miami doesn't need an immediate starter so Harris has time to develop his run game. If he never comes along in that phase, but wrecks havoc on the quarterback that is still extremely valuable in the pass happy NFL.

McMillan to me is very solid and exactly what the Dolphins need at linebacker. I think his ceiling is higher than what Zierlein states.

As always, there will be surprises both good and bad in every draft. We won't know for a couple of years, but on paper I like Miami's draft.

is he like another "expert" like CNN has all the time?

Thanks for describing exactly why most who don't like the Harris pick... don't like the Harris pick.

This reeks of a luxury pick. We have needs at LB, G, CB, DT and S... and we are picking a developmental DE who won't see the field most snaps. Run D was our primary Defensive area of need. So, we once again reach for a developmental prospect that doesn't even fill a need in the 1st round. Welcome aboard Dion Jordan 2.0.

1st Picks should be your best attempt to fill your team's needs with young talent. They should be starter ready; plug and play. Now we are going to have to hear about "when" and "if" for the next 3 - 4 years describe his "potential".

Give me Forrest Lamp at 22 and stop making the GM job so difficult. And when other teams are running all over us this year, take note how clean Mr. Harris' jersey is on the sidelines. Because that is a pick that isn't helping you this year.

So Aaron Rodgers would not have been a 1st rd talent on your board since he wasn't ready to play in year one? Would you consider taking him in the 1st a bust?

There's only one proper reaction to draft grades -- be they positive or negative -- and that's eye rolling laughter. It's a click baity ridiculous exercise. Treat it as such.

People who go out looking for positive draft grades because they want that feeling of blooding rushing to their loins or who go looking for negative grades because they want to rage are frankly just pathetic.

sean-connery-here-endeth-here-endeth-the-lesson.jpg

Which is why we shouldn't waste money and resources on a scouting department. Just fire all of em and wait for draft day with all college players listed on the wall in random order, blindfold a fan and let them throw darts at the wall to decide our draft picks. If it's laughable to rate a draft after you see who was picked, how much more laughable must it be to try and do it before the draft? :idk:

Of course no one is going to be perfect rating a draft class a day after the draft but to say you shouldn't form an opinion a day after the draft is silly. If we took 5 punters a kicker and a backup D3 QB in the draft we could all agree that was be a bad draft. Likewise it should be perfectly acceptable that fans formulate opinions on players based on the limited intell they have at their disposal. Of course it won't be as accurate as it will be after watching them play for 3 years DUH, but that doesn't mean it should be taboo to even try to speculate. That's what we as fans do in the offsesason. Why even watch the draft if you are going to be afraid to formulate an opinion on who we drafted?

Now what we might wanna do is go back and see what a certain writer said about previous draft classes the day after those drafts to see how accurate he was. If they were horrible then maybe you should slam him for being bad at his job, but it is a part of NFL writers to make opinions on draft classes.

Posted this on his tweeter account :up:

Your draft rating is a joke on the Dolphins! Funny how everyone else has us higher. Will be nice to watch you eat crow in the future.

It means as much as having the 2nd best grade for the draft class. It's worth nothing.

These lists/ratings are nothing more than someone writing something for the sake of writing.
Every drafted player is TBD.

Who knows for sure?...but, his opinion mirrored my feelings regarding the first two picks....I thought we could have done better.

Back
Top Bottom