Lance Zierlein Ranks Miami's Draft Class 31st out of 32 Teams | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lance Zierlein Ranks Miami's Draft Class 31st out of 32 Teams

The concerns are legit - but that's true about most, if not all prospects or draftees. Some guys are just safer than others because of position, body of work or skill-set. All you can do is grade how they played in college, determine if you think they are at their ceiling or able to improve (physically or technically) and project. Grades are personal opinion and nothing more. In 3-4 years, we'll see how the grades really should have been.

Charles Harris
First, we all know he is not good against the run, something this Dolphins defense has been terrible at for a while now that needs to improve if they expect to make more playoff runs. He also doesn't have elite physical traits....size, length, speed, etc.....outside of his first step and spin move. You don't necessarily need them to be a great pass rusher, but it sure helps. Another concern is his production consistency and impact game to game....the same concern some had for Myles Garrett. As a junior, Harris had 9 sacks and 12 tackles for loss. However, 7.5 sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss came in 3 games (Georgia, Vandy and So Carolina)....Georgia and So Carolina breaking in freshman QBs, Vandy being Vandy. In his 9 other games - 1.5 sacks, 2.5 tackles for loss. So you can understand why some may see him as a boom/bust type of risk and give a lower grade since he only projects are a part-time player to begin his career.

Raekwon McMillan
The biggest concern many have is his tape speed not matching his combine speed, in particular the 40 (top 3 at combine). It doesn't. That doesn't mean he's a bad player. It just concerns some people when a workout doesn't match tape and they can't figure out why. He did struggle in 3-cone and shuttle (bottom 5 in each). The kid has everything else - size, strength (top 5), tackling, instincts, leadership, motivation.

Cordrea Tankersley
Some top level physical attributes - size, length, speed (Top5 40). However, also some questionable physical attributes - vertical (worst at combine, worse than 30 Dlinemen), 3-cone (bottom 4), shuttle (bottom 3). Some good tape, some bad tape. For him, it's a matter of opinion on if his bad can be corrected.

Rounds 5-7 really don't need much discussion. We took a bunch of need guys at Guard and DT. Some draft graders may have thought those needs were bigger needs that should have been addressed earlier. Plus, Godchaux comes with an off the field question.

I understood the logic of what they were doing with high character upside guys and thinking long-term...Harris similar to Wake, Tankersley similar to Maxwell....but i didn't see how that helped a lot right now, how those guys improved the current roster's deficiencies and felt trading back to gather extra picks or picking a few different guys could have helped more now in order to maximize the return on prime years of Wake, Suh, Jones and others. I do admit it has the chance to be much higher grade than what i personally think bc each player does have traits you like. But it could also bust if those traits don't overcome the glowing deficiencies.

The concerns are legit - but that's true about most, if not all prospects or draftees. Some guys are just safer than others because of position, body of work or skill-set. All you can do is grade how they played in college, determine if you think they are at their ceiling or able to improve (physically or technically) and project. Grades are personal opinion and nothing more. In 3-4 years, we'll see how the grades really should have been.

Charles Harris
First, we all know he is not good against the run, something this Dolphins defense has been terrible at for a while now that needs to improve if they expect to make more playoff runs. He also doesn't have elite physical traits....size, length, speed, etc.....outside of his first step and spin move. You don't necessarily need them to be a great pass rusher, but it sure helps. Another concern is his production consistency and impact game to game....the same concern some had for Myles Garrett. As a junior, Harris had 9 sacks and 12 tackles for loss. However, 7.5 sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss came in 3 games (Georgia, Vandy and So Carolina)....Georgia and So Carolina breaking in freshman QBs, Vandy being Vandy. In his 9 other games - 1.5 sacks, 2.5 tackles for loss. So you can understand why some may see him as a boom/bust type of risk and give a lower grade since he only projects are a part-time player to begin his career.

Raekwon McMillan
The biggest concern many have is his tape speed not matching his combine speed, in particular the 40 (top 3 at combine). It doesn't. That doesn't mean he's a bad player. It just concerns some people when a workout doesn't match tape and they can't figure out why. He did struggle in 3-cone and shuttle (bottom 5 in each). The kid has everything else - size, strength (top 5), tackling, instincts, leadership, motivation.

Cordrea Tankersley
Some top level physical attributes - size, length, speed (Top5 40). However, also some questionable physical attributes - vertical (worst at combine, worse than 30 Dlinemen), 3-cone (bottom 4), shuttle (bottom 3). Some good tape, some bad tape. For him, it's a matter of opinion on if his bad can be corrected.

Rounds 5-7 really don't need much discussion. We took a bunch of need guys at Guard and DT. Some draft graders may have thought those needs were bigger needs that should have been addressed earlier. Plus, Godchaux comes with an off the field question.

I understood the logic of what they were doing with high character upside guys and thinking long-term...Harris similar to Wake, Tankersley similar to Maxwell....but i didn't see how that helped a lot right now, how those guys improved the current roster's deficiencies and felt trading back to gather extra picks or picking a few different guys could have helped more now in order to maximize the return on prime years of Wake, Suh, Jones and others. I do admit it has the chance to be much higher grade than what i personally think bc each player does have traits you like. But it could also bust if those traits don't overcome the glowing deficiencies.

Fair assessments, but I don't agree that Raekwon doesn't show that explosion or speed on tape. He was rarely out of position and has zero issues getting S2S or coming downhill to the edge. He even shows it many times in green dog situations when he bursts toward the line but has to flip his hips and cover the TE or RB coming out for a route.

Fair assessments, but I don't agree that Raekwon doesn't show that explosion or speed on tape. He was rarely out of position and has zero issues getting S2S or coming downhill to the edge. He even shows it many times in green dog situations when he bursts toward the line but has to flip his hips and cover the TE or RB coming out for a route.

Let me preface this by saying i really like McMillan - he was my favorite Phins pick in the draft. I was surprised to still see him there in the 2nd and was happy about the pick bc our LB play has been terrible and we need a run stuffer.....although i admit, i also really liked Awuzie there. But, in the fairness of an unbiased evaluation, here goes.....

I'm not saying he didn't show speed on tape at all, i'm just in the group who was surprised by his 4.61 40 because i didn't see that consistent twitchy flash of 4.6 burst....the kind you usually see from RBs/WRs or LBs making numerous splash plays behind the LOS and in space.....he looked a little more heavy in the pants and more smooth/efficient than fast.

One play against Clemson stood out to me when Gallman (another 4.6 guy) took a swing pass and eventhough McMillan had a free run at him, Gallman chewed up a lot more real estate before they met. Now maybe he was winded, or maybe he was being careful to not overrun the play, but it stood out to me. He has a similar play against Oklahoma with Mixon on a swing pass and he couldn't cut down the angle....although Mixon is definitely faster (4.5 pro day, so maybe 4.55-4.6 combine comparison). A few times in the Clemson game and others i watched he flipped his hips and ran perfectly parallel down the line after the ball......my initial thought being that he takes incredibly smart and efficient angles to the ball......but then i think, why is he not angling toward the line to beat the ball to the corner, which i would expect he should be able to do with 4.6 speed. On the flipside, you see him shoot a gap and track down Watson with ease for a sack.....which showed his burst.

Personally, i think he plays a little safe/passive and lets the ball come to him instead of trusting his reads and attacking. He does step up in the hole to meet guys, but i don't see him shooting for TFLs and beating Olineman to the spot like a Zach Thomas did. I think it's for this reason he gets labeled more as a thumper and not an explosive LB. The stats tend to back that up a bit. He only had 4 TFL in 2015 and 7 TFL in 2016. Over that same time, Jarrad Davis had 17, Peppers 20.5, Foster 21, Cunningham 33, Walker 30.5, Marquel Lee 30, Boulware 19.5. Ben Gedeon had 15 TFL in 2016 alone.

Let me preface this by saying i really like McMillan - he was my favorite Phins pick in the draft. I was surprised to still see him there in the 2nd and was happy about the pick bc our LB play has been terrible and we need a run stuffer.....although i admit, i also really liked Awuzie there. But, in the fairness of an unbiased evaluation, here goes.....

I'm not saying he didn't show speed on tape at all, i'm just in the group who was surprised by his 4.61 40 because i didn't see that consistent twitchy flash of 4.6 burst....the kind you usually see from RBs/WRs or LBs making numerous splash plays behind the LOS and in space.....he looked a little more heavy in the pants and more smooth/efficient than fast.

One play against Clemson stood out to me when Gallman (another 4.6 guy) took a swing pass and even though McMillan had a free run at him, Gallman chewed up a lot more real estate before they met. Now maybe he was winded, or maybe he was being careful to not overrun the play, but it stood out to me. He has a similar play against Oklahoma with Mixon on a swing pass and he couldn't cut down the angle....although Mixon is definitely faster (4.5 pro day, so maybe 4.55-4.6 combine comparison). A few times in the Clemson game and others i watched he flipped his hips and ran perfectly parallel down the line after the ball......my initial thought being that he takes incredibly smart and efficient angles to the ball......but then i think, why is he not angling toward the line to beat the ball to the corner, which i would expect he should be able to do with 4.6 speed. On the flipside, you see him shoot a gap and track down Watson with ease for a sack.....which showed his burst.

Personally, i think he plays a little safe/passive and lets the ball come to him instead of trusting his reads and attacking. He does step up in the hole to meet guys, but i don't see him shooting for TFLs and beating Olineman to the spot like a Zach Thomas did. I think it's for this reason he gets labeled more as a thumper and not an explosive LB. The stats tend to back that up a bit. He only had 4 TFL in 2015 and 7 TFL in 2016. Over that same time, Jarrad Davis had 17, Peppers 20.5, Foster 21, Cunningham 33, Walker 30.5, Marquel Lee 30, Boulware 19.5. Ben Gedeon had 15 TFL in 2016 alone.

If I believe I targeted the same play vs Mixon you are referring to it was a 3&Goal with 11:53 in the 2nd. McMillan was in a bluff call over the B gap before dropping out to his assigned hook/curl and OK motioned and flexed Mixon for an empty formation. From there that POS flared out on an arrow route and once the reception was made McMillan had his inside hip with another defender over top and another on his outside hip which is a typical team tackling strategy and all in all made the stop on 3rd down. It's hard for me to fault him there given the defensive call vs the play w/ the down and distance taken into account. OK ran the same again early in the 4th (14:18) and McMillan was aligned over Mixon there and easily covered him in the flat. My biggest issues with McMillan vs OK was he was too focused on reading his first key in the G-C-G triangle and was caught out of position due to not always seeing thru to the mesh point and being misdirected.

I thought his game vs Clemson was as good as any MLB and seemed by seasons end to clear up and fix a lot of early concerns, but I can see what you mean about not playing w/ that 4.6 speed at times by flattening out and not taking a more aggressive angle to the edge. Then again, he doesn't miss many tackles or let the plays past him once he does get there. Though, Gallman slipped out of his wrap & roll technique on that swing pass you mentioned.

Concerning the lack of TFL, he takes the first initial attack step, and though he certainly does not catch the ballcarrier and comes forward to attack them, he doesn't frequently shoot into the backfield and do so. Still meets them at or near the LOS and there are times he does penetrate into the backfield and redirects the original run path which receives no statistical recognition,

Back
Top Bottom