Lawson compared to Jason Taylor! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lawson compared to Jason Taylor!

TXFinFan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Lawson climbing the boards

While North Carolina State linebacker/defensive end Manny Lawson probably won’t crack the top 10 picks in the draft, at least three prominent scouts said last week that he ultimately could be the biggest star in this draft when it’s all said and done.

“Totally motivated kid,” a scout said of Lawson. “Everything he does seems very intense and purposeful. He’s smart and I think he sees the big picture of what he can be and do for himself with this.”

Lawson is a pretty reasonable facsimile of Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor. At 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, Lawson is long and lean. He runs a 4.45 40-yard dash and scored a 40 on the Wunderlich exam, meaning his extraordinarily bright. Further proof of that is that Lawson already has a degree in engineering.

Furthermore, if Lawson ends up with a team that can play him as an open-side linebacker in a 3-4, he might be unstoppable.

The problem is that Miami *has* a Jason Taylor already. What Miami needs is a player on the opposite side who is a real linebacker who can both cover and rush.

Jimmy James said:
The problem is that Miami *has* a Jason Taylor already. What Miami needs is a player on the opposite side who is a real linebacker who can both cover and rush.
completely disagree, Lawson is a big playmaker. he's the type of guy we want. he can provide a tremendous rush and with Taylor on the other side we would rack up the sacks. Taylor is getting old and when he's gone we still want to have that big playmaker on D. Lawson will be that playmaker.

nick1 said:
completely disagree, Lawson is a big playmaker. he's the type of guy we want. he can provide a tremendous rush and with Taylor on the other side we would rack up the sacks. Taylor is getting old and when he's gone we still want to have that big playmaker on D. Lawson will be that playmaker.

no cause playing on the opposite side of JT this year will mean a lot more coverage than just rushing the QB...

but i didn't know he got a 40 on the wonderlich, not bad... ive never been high on the guy though, i dont want us to pick him...

Lawson would be a great asset to The Dolphins. And, with all the attention Saban gives to character of players, I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up here, although I think it is unlikely.

Jimmy James said:

Thats a great problem to have...

Heres a question. The LB that plays the other side of JT, what are his duties?
Would they be the same thing or same type of roll? Theoretically, can JT play both sides at the same time?

GCD960 said:
Thats a great problem to have...

Heres a question. The LB that plays the other side of JT, what are his duties?
Would they be the same thing or same type of roll? Theoretically, can JT play both sides at the same time?

Back when we played a vanilla 4-3, the answer was yes.

Now that we're playing this crazy defense I think of as a 5-2 with a couple of 4-3 variants and a substantial 3-4 variant, the answer is no. There can be only one JT. The other linebackers have to be linebackers. I believe Saban indicated that Taylor on one side with Arrington playing the linebacker on the other side was a good bit like what he wants. Arrington obviously isn't going to happen, but the goal should be to find a linebacker who does the things Nick valued in him.

Jimmy James said:
Back when we played a vanilla 4-3, the answer was yes.

Now that we're playing this crazy defense I think of as a 5-2 with a couple of 4-3 variants and a substantial 3-4 variant, the answer is no. There can be only one JT. The other linebackers have to be linebackers. I believe Saban indicated that Taylor on one side with Arrington playing the linebacker on the other side was a good bit like what he wants. Arrington obviously isn't going to happen, but the goal should be to find a linebacker who does the things Nick valued in him.

That's the thing, Lawson can do those things. He can be used standing up or with his hand on the ground, much like Taylor and Arrington. Lawson also dropped into coverage during some of NC State's blitz packages.

If Capers runs the defense similar to the one he had in Carolina, then speed is one of the top criterias and Lawson has ample amounts of that.

Geforce said:
That's the thing, Lawson can do those things. He can be used standing up or with his hand on the ground, much like Taylor and Arrington. Lawson also dropped into coverage during some of NC State's blitz packages.

If Capers runs the defense similar to the one he had in Carolina, then speed is one of the top criterias and Lawson has ample amounts of that.

anyone can drop into zone blitzing coverages, **** you see defensive tackles doing it even...

but that doesn't mean you want that guy covering a RB out of the backfield or a TE in man coverage...

and theres nothing wrong with having two tason taylors... the problem is having 2 of em on the field at the same time... one of them will be out of their element...

arsenal said:
anyone can drop into zone blitzing coverages, **** you see defensive tackles doing it even...

but that doesn't mean you want that guy covering a RB out of the backfield or a TE in man coverage...

and theres nothing wrong with having two tason taylors... the problem is having 2 of em on the field at the same time... one of them will be out of their element...

You're right, anyone can drop into zone blitz coverage but Lawson was an OLB before moving to DE. He also covered TEs during that time so he has some knowledge of being in man to man coverage.

As far as being out their element, wasn't Jason out of his element dropping into coverage last year, atleast early on?

TXFinFan said:
I don't see how 2 Jason Taylors could possibly be a bad thing.

Why not just make it 52 Jason Taylors? :shakeno:

Everybody has a job to do, and those jobs often require different skills. Taylor has different skills than the linebacker playing opposite him in the 3-4 needs. It's just that simple.

Jimmy James said:
Why not just make it 52 Jason Taylors? :shakeno:

Everybody has a job to do, and those jobs often require different skills. Taylor has different skills than the linebacker playing opposite him in the 3-4 needs. It's just that simple.
Taylor can do everything, I'm not joking. he dropped into coverage and did well. he's a tremendous pass rusher of course and he is also very good at stopping the run

nick1 said:
Taylor can do everything, I'm not joking. he dropped into coverage and did well. he's a tremendous pass rusher of course and he is also very good at stopping the run

I think Taylor *can* drop into coverage, but I don't think Nick would literally move him to a position where that was all he was going to do because he would be too much of a liability to do it full time. He'd get exposed too much.

There are periods when the guy opposite Taylor is going to have to do nothing but cover. They're going to be much more extensively involved in coverage than Taylor is. That means that if Lawson is Taylor, he's going to have to come out of the game during those times. That makes Lawson a part time player as a linebacker. I'd much rather have a full timer like Carpenter.

He runs a 4.45 40 and you guys think he won't be able to cover TE's? Seriously?

He's been the guy I've wanted us to draft for a long time. Had no idea he has an engineering degree. Nothing like combating the "cerebral" attacks of peyton manning

Back
Top Bottom