Lawson compared to Jason Taylor! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lawson compared to Jason Taylor!

He won't be overpowering many Pro tackles, guards, and centers.

Great straight line speed is overrated. You need to be quick, smart, and strong enough to put yourself in a situation to use that speed. Otherwise, its useless.

Jimmy James said:
By all means, let's just bring in track stars to be linebackers. Oh, you say that they aren't bulky enough? Make them cornerbacks! :shakeno:

You can't take the 40 time and use it to suggest he can cover any more than you can do that for anybody.

Of course, you'd be making a great point if we were talking about corners. But the reason people say DE's can't cover TE's and RB's is because they are too slow. Manny Lawson isn't too slow...that's the point. He's very athletic too, so I don't imagine him having too many problems covering guys.

Now since you're so smart, tell us why Manny Lawson can't cover guys, or were you just taking the opportunity to be a jack@ss to somebody?

Personally, I think Lawson could struggle covering backs and wide receivers.

I just don't know if he has the hips and body control to do it at a high level. Yeah, he can run with them if their all running go route's. But, everyone is not going to be running all go routes.

For instance, when I watch Lawson and Greenway on tape, Greenway appears to be a much superior athlete. He shows better hips and better body control.

This is a similar comparison for the wide receivers too. Holmes shows better hips and body control than Jackson. That is why I like Holmes better.

kpcane said:
Of course, you'd be making a great point if we were talking about corners. But the reason people say DE's can't cover TE's and RB's is because they are too slow.

Not this guy. I think speed is uniformly overrated.

Now since you're so smart, tell us why Manny Lawson can't cover guys

1) He hasn't done it with regularity
2) There are people (as you have seen in this thread) who question his hips. He can run a pretty drill. That isn't the same as covering a real receiver.

or were you just taking the opportunity to be a jack@ss to somebody?

Who is the jackass? Note that it isn't covered by the profanity filter. :D

Ghetti13 said:
For instance, when I watch Lawson and Greenway on tape, Greenway appears to be a much superior athlete. He shows better hips and better body control.

To be sure, Greenway is the man in coverage. He's almost the opposite of Lawson, though -- he wasn't asked to rush the passer on a regular basis. That seems important to Saban.

But that does not address your point. I agree that Lawson is better rushing the passer.

Your point was that Lawson will excel in pass coverage because of his workout athleticism. I was therefore providing an instance and illustration as to why I think workout athleticism does not necessarily translate into football athleticism.

Ghetti13 said:
But that does not address your point. I agree that Lawson is better rushing the passer.

Your point was that Lawson will excel in pass coverage because of his workout athleticism. I was therefore providing an instance and illustration as to why I think workout athleticism does not necessarily translate into football athleticism.

You have me mixed up with somebody else. I am with you on Lawson. I'm the guy pushing Bobby Carpenter as the guy who can cover and rush. :D

Jimmy James said:
The problem is that Miami *has* a Jason Taylor already. What Miami needs is a player on the opposite side who is a real linebacker who can both cover and rush.

Which is exactly what Lawson is.

TXFinFan said:
Lawson climbing the boards

While North Carolina State linebacker/defensive end Manny Lawson probably won’t crack the top 10 picks in the draft, at least three prominent scouts said last week that he ultimately could be the biggest star in this draft when it’s all said and done.

“Totally motivated kid,†a scout said of Lawson. “Everything he does seems very intense and purposeful. He’s smart and I think he sees the big picture of what he can be and do for himself with this.â€Â

Lawson is a pretty reasonable facsimile of Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor. At 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, Lawson is long and lean. He runs a 4.45 40-yard dash and scored a 40 on the Wunderlich exam, meaning his extraordinarily bright. Further proof of that is that Lawson already has a degree in engineering.

Furthermore, if Lawson ends up with a team that can play him as an open-side linebacker in a 3-4, he might be unstoppable.

Hopefully one of those three scouts belongs to Miami, because I really want to see Manny in Miami.:wink:

Jimmy James said:
The problem is that Miami *has* a Jason Taylor already. What Miami needs is a player on the opposite side who is a real linebacker who can both cover and rush.

1. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have the physical presence of 2 Jason Taylor's on the field.

2. If we get Manny, and after a year or 2 if he develops into a player of Jason Taylor's caliber, Then we might be able to get a trade for JT. I particularly would like him to finish his career in Miami, but Saban has stated that this is a business. And if we could get a first or second round pick for JT in a couple years when I am assuming he will show his age, it will be for the better.

Looking at film on Lawson, he will not be available for Miami to pick. This guy has a non-stop motor which is not attached to his name everytime someone talks about him because of his outstanding athleticism. There is a reason why he was the Defensive lineman of the year (or most valuable d-lineman) for NC State 2 years in a row. For that same reason, he will be gone by the time pick #16 is on the clock.

Jimmy James said:
Not this guy. I think speed is uniformly overrated.

1) He hasn't done it with regularity
2) There are people (as you have seen in this thread) who question his hips. He can run a pretty drill. That isn't the same as covering a real receiver.

I'm not buying anything you're saying. The reasons you gave for him not being able to cover are very weak. I think he could easily be coached up over training camp. Speed is not overrated...at all. 2002 Bucs, case in point.

kpcane said:
I'm not buying anything you're saying. The reasons you gave for him not being able to cover are very weak. I think he could easily be coached up over training camp. Speed is not overrated...at all. 2002 Bucs, case in point.

I agree. He is very vocal about Lawson, but he has produced no solid evidence to prove that Lawson can't play coverage. I think he is just in love with Carpenter as a player.

TXFinFan said:
I agree. He is very vocal about Lawson, but he has produced no solid evidence to prove that Lawson can't play coverage. I think he is just in love with Carpenter as a player.

What the hell do you people expect?

How about this from his coach's own mouth:

Do you anticipate moving Manny Lawson back to linebacker next year?

Absolutely not. He moved down for a reason. He wasn’t real natural or comfortable back there at linebacker. And we’re going to fine at linebacker. We’ve got a couple surprise players that we think you’ll be excited about in the very near future.

http://ncstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=355958

Now who is in love? :rolleyes2

Back
Top Bottom