Lawson compared to Jason Taylor! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lawson compared to Jason Taylor!

Well now I think it is safe to say we are seriously considering a OLB in the first round since we didn't get Lavar. But why is having Lawson going to be a burden on our defense. I understand the coverage part but understand this. We were trying to get Lavar. If you think Arrington is great at everything you would be wrong. This is a guy who is exceptional in pass rushing and highly athletic. He is adequete in run support and coverage. If we were trying to get a guy like Arrington for this defense why wouldn't we be trying to get a guy like Lawson.

He is more than athletic enough to cover for any deficiencies that he "supposedly" has. Demarcus Ware did it last year for Dallas and when I saw him play he was less athletic than Lawson and played purely as a DE in his college career and he was still fine in coverage.

kpcane said:
He runs a 4.45 40 and you guys think he won't be able to cover TE's? Seriously?

By all means, let's just bring in track stars to be linebackers. Oh, you say that they aren't bulky enough? Make them cornerbacks! :shakeno:

You can't take the 40 time and use it to suggest he can cover any more than you can do that for anybody.

Geforce said:
You're right, anyone can drop into zone blitz coverage but Lawson was an OLB before moving to DE. He also covered TEs during that time so he has some knowledge of being in man to man coverage.

As far as being out their element, wasn't Jason out of his element dropping into coverage last year, atleast early on?

i love JT, but im much more comfortable with him NOT dropping into coverage, haha...

the OLB opposite JT would be in coverage more than he would be rushing the passer, yes JT CAN cover and lawson probably CAN cover... but that doesn't mean you want to have to rely on that player to cover often...

if we get manny id want him as the backup and eventual replacement for JT... he wouldn't be here to be on the field at the same time as JT at the other OLB spot... thats all, his skill set isn't for that position, its for the OE position where we already have JT...

so if your hoping to get our starting SLB in this draft, dont hope we draft lawson, because thats not where hes best suited to play...

If Manny Lawson is available at #16, he's OURS.........count on it!!!

At least I hope.

Jimmy James said:
The problem is that Miami *has* a Jason Taylor already. What Miami needs is a player on the opposite side who is a real linebacker who can both cover and rush.

I ask Boomer 2 weeks ago if Lawson can play the strong side LB, and his answer was yes. Remember he played LB for 2 years then he was moved to DE.

Phins28 said:
I ask Boomer 2 weeks ago if Lawson can play the strong side LB, and his answer was yes. Remember he played LB for 2 years then he was moved to DE.

I'm less certain about it than Boomer is to say the least. I do respect bringing in the opinion of a trusted source to support your position, though.

I dont think we need to look for JTs replacement yet. If that is all Manny could do then I wouldnt want him picked with our 1st pick. Id want our 1st to have significant playing time for us this year.

GCD960 said:
I dont think we need to look for JTs replacement yet. If that is all Manny could do then I wouldnt want him picked with our 1st pick. Id want our 1st to have significant playing time for us this year.

Now that's another issue. There is no guarantee that any player we draft at 16 will be a starter. We may want them to be a starter but it will come down to how fast they can pick up the system and/or adjust to the speed of the NFL. They will however get significant playing time.

I would be very comfortable with Lawson opposite JT. He played at LB for two years and IMO was better there, particularly in coverage. His weakness was that he wasn't as stout against the run when up on the line. I think he has the body and mind to learn from JT how to improve that aspect of his game. I describe Lawson as a JT if JT had spent all his time at LB and hadn't spent as much time learning how to play straight up against bigger OL.

Phins28 said:

he played 1 season at OLB for NCstate before they moved him to DE... his freshman year he was only on the field as a special teamer...

i think theres a possiblity he could play SLB, but do you think he'll come in and be a factor there right away? i dont... i think it'll take time for him to get accustomed to it, especially after 2 years of playing DE, especially in the complex saban scheme... though he is smart so that should help...

but either way i just have never been real high on the guy as a football player, hes got great speed and measurables but thats about it... i dont know, if we do pick him i hope he proves me wrong...

I think Lawson is a reach at 16. To me, he is a straight line athlete. Straight line "clock" athletes scare me.

I like body control athletes. Lawson is not one if these. He is stiff and very straight line-ish. He just does not really impress me on tape.

I would not touch him in round one. I hope Saban agrees, but it not, I will know I am wrong, cause Saban is outstanding.

I really want Lawson in the 1st, he's going to be an outstanding player

Ghetti13 said:
I think Lawson is a reach at 16. To me, he is a straight line athlete. Straight line "clock" athletes scare me.

I like body control athletes. Lawson is not one if these. He is stiff and very straight line-ish. He just does not really impress me on tape.

I would not touch him in round one. I hope Saban agrees, but it not, I will know I am wrong, cause Saban is outstanding.

he is really quick changing directions, you can see that in his combine times.

Combine times can be very, very misleading.

Changing direction is much more about body contol and ability to adapt to awkward situations and positions. It is not about whether a guy can run a short shuttle in a certain time.

When I watch him on tape I see a stiff player who is not near the "body control" athlete that Mario Williams is. For instance.

one reason I like Lawson is that he can absolutely overpower a linemen, he is very surprisingly strong. and he has great speed to go with that strengh

Back
Top Bottom